Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:38 AM

45 posts, read 180,496 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some leg work for my son who is super busy right now. He is 24 years old and needs to find an apartment complex close to where he will be working (Maiden) but needs easy access to the Charlotte airport. Just looking at the map, it looks like there are many small towns between these 2 places. Any suggestions or ideas for safe and convenient communities would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 11:43 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappearc View Post
I'm doing some leg work for my son who is super busy right now. He is 24 years old and needs to find an apartment complex close to where he will be working (Maiden) but needs easy access to the Charlotte airport. Just looking at the map, it looks like there are many small towns between these 2 places. Any suggestions or ideas for safe and convenient communities would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Can't give you specific complexes but what I can say is he's going to a pretty rural area. His best bet to find apartments in between Maiden and Charlotte's airport is in Gastonia, most of which is pretty safe. In particular, east Gastonia closer to Belmont would be a nice location.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:02 PM

624 posts, read 2,109,871 times
I'm 24 and opted to live in Denver, NC close to where 73 and 16 intersect. There's a newer apartment complex located just north of 73 and 16. Denver's located on the western side of Lake Norman and it's just a short drive to get to Birkdale Village (eastern part of Lake Norman.)

It takes me about 25 minutes to drive to the airport Monday mornings. Just a straight shot down 16.
I haven't made the drive to Maiden, but Google's showing it's about a 40 minute drive. Gastonia gives a shorter round trip time.

As lovesMountains stated, this side of Charlotte is much more rural.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:58 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
I just wondered . . . I used to live in Hickory and drove to the Charlotte airport two or three times a month. I would not want to have a daily commute to work - 40 or so minutes each way - if the airport trips were only a couple times a month. I mention this b/c from Maiden, it isn't that bad a trip to the airport if you are only going to need to go there a few times a month. I would think it would be a lot more convenient on a daily basis to live closer to work.

Of course, it may be that your son's job requires trips to the airport several times a week. But thought I should mention this in case it doesn't.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I just wondered . . . I used to live in Hickory and drove to the Charlotte airport two or three times a month. I would not want to have a daily commute to work - 40 or so minutes each way - if the airport trips were only a couple times a month. I mention this b/c from Maiden, it isn't that bad a trip to the airport if you are only going to need to go there a few times a month. I would think it would be a lot more convenient on a daily basis to live closer to work.

Of course, it may be that your son's job requires trips to the airport several times a week. But thought I should mention this in case it doesn't.
I agree Ani, if he's only going to the airport a few times a month, he should look to live in Hickory for sure

Old 07-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I agree Ani, if he's only going to the airport a few times a month, he should look to live in Hickory for sure
Why Hickory?

Old 07-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappearc View Post
Why Hickory?
It's the largest city near Maiden so his commute to work would be very good and Hickory has a lot to offer - it's a nice little city.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:03 PM

624 posts, read 2,109,871 times
Cappearc, can you help us out with a little more information:

- Does your son have a family already or is it just him moving down?
- How often per month will he need to go to the airport?
- Is his new job in Maiden fairly tradition hours? Working M-F 9-5 ish
- What sort of activities does he enjoy?

I did a quick search on Apartments.com | Find Apartments for Rent, Houses, Condos and Townhomes | Rental Listings for the area and it returned these complexes:

Gastonia:
- The Patriots Apartments
1272 Union Rd.
- Chateau Village
2442 Chartres Dr.
- The Bluffs
1850 Yellowstone Court
- Walker's Ridge
1100 Robinwood Rd.

Hickory:
- Creekside Apartments
1227 10th Street Blvd.
- The Legends
2101 21st St. SE
- Argyle Place
2830 16th Street NE

Denver:
This is the place I was talking about in my first post - http://www.proctorservices.com/river...Apartments.htm

Old 07-12-2009, 03:29 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,719,908 times
Hickory would make sense for occasional trips to the airport.

I've seen very nice apartments in Gastonia on Union Rd between Garrison & Hudson. I think I've seen some on Hudson, east of Union.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:25 PM

First of all...thanks to eveyone who had been so generous in the sharing of their knowledge. It looks like my son is going to be involved in the building process of the new Apple facility. His company has an office in Charlotte (near the airport), although he is currently working in the Atlanta area. Most likely he will be on-site in Maiden but may have to also work in the Charlotte office also. He also tries to fly home as much as possible because his girlfriend still has one more year of college and this is also where all his family is...so 2 reasons to be near the airport.
Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte