Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times

Advertisements

Well I pay about a 20% tip most of the time so I guess I will cut that to 15% to make up for it.Too bad,It sucks for the food sever.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 03:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Well I pay about a 20% tip most of the time so I guess I will cut that to 15% to make up for it.Too bad,It sucks for the food sever.....
So because you have to pay an extra 1% your going to take %5 away from your server? That doesn't really make sense.... Maybe you should just eat at home or get fast food if the increase is going to keep you from leaving an adequate tip.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:38 PM

104 posts, read 177,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Not a big deal to me really. Yea, no one likes taxes to go up. But if you think about it, if you spend $50 eating out, the additional 1% tax would add up to fifty cents. On a $100 tab, the added 1% tax would be $1.
I think the point is that on a $100 tab, your total tax alone is going to be about $10. Plus tip. I don't mind the tip so much because the server usually earns it, but what involvement did Raleigh have in bringing me my burger and beer?

Quote:
I guess much of what Ani referred to doesn't affect me - I don't own a home, so no homeowner's insurance or property taxes...I don't earn enough to be in the bracket where there would be that tax surcharge...we're on a well, so don't pay for water..
As a property owner/landlord, I can tell you absolutely that increases in homeowners' insurance rates and property taxes will get passed on to tenants. If I can't make money on the house, I'm either going to up the rent or sell it out from under the renter (at the end of the lease of course). It's that simple. I'm not running a charity and neither is your landlord.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackley View Post
As a property owner/landlord, I can tell you absolutely that increases in homeowners' insurance rates and property taxes will get passed on to tenants. If I can't make money on the house, I'm either going to up the rent or sell it out from under the renter (at the end of the lease of course). It's that simple. I'm not running a charity and neither is your landlord.
I don't have a landlord. I don't own, I don't rent. The dwelling is owned outright and the owner (a relative) pays the property taxes, which isn't much (it's a mobile home).

But I understand your point, and under normal circumstances, YES, things like that get passed onto tenants. I would expect my rent to go up if my landlord's property taxes went up.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:08 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I will have to check that out re: the auto rates. What I had heard is that the state insurance commission has mandated higher liability coverage or something along those lines (can't remember what it was exactly) which would make rates go up. But maybe there was some other decision by a court that made the rates go down, lol.
This is what I was referring to...

July 15, 2009 -- Goodwin Signs Settlement That Decreases Auto Rates and Freezes Them Until At Least 2011

Old 08-30-2009, 05:43 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,907 times
Quote:
Interesting! I was surprised when I moved to NC from Ohio, in 2005, that my auto insurance almost doubled. <Gulp!>

No point, just rambling.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for posting this, JDL! No, I was not aware of this decrease. I wonder if that prevented the increase that had been discussed earlier this year? Or . . . did the liability requirements increase wh/ thus raised rates - heck - I don't remember the details any longer.

In any case - nice to see the state was looking out for us.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:08 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Of the 9.25% total prepared tax that people are paying:

1% of it is the prepared food tax. This is being used in Charlotte to pay for the Convention Center, and through complicated shell games, the arena for the NBA and the Nascar hall of fame. You have to decide if it is worth it or not.

1/2% of the tax is the transit tax. Many people were led to believe that if they voted for this tax, CATS would be building trains for them. The fact of the matter is this tax generates ~$72M/year and CATS is spending over $100M/year just on operations. There won't be more trains coming here. The is proven by the fact that just this year the Charlotte city council and the local MTC both voted to ask the state for permission to increase the transit tax to a full 1%. They were turned down. If this had passed, then you would be playing $9.75% tax to eat out. $8.75% on everything else. They will try again, because there is absolutely no interest in holding the transit agency accountable for the money it is spending. The first time anyone asks this, they are labeled anti-transit and subsequently tar and feathered.

So while the state deserves to be slapped for increasing the sales tax, this is 5.5% of it. The rest comes from the local politicians and they deserve the bigger scrutiny as they continue to act like there are no consequences from spending all this money on projects and yet we are paying upwards of 4% in local taxes because of it. I won't even get into the tax money they handed over to Wachovia, which doesn't even exist anymore, to build that 50 story tower in downtown that nobody needs.

(a bit pissed at the moment because I just wrote out checks for 3 property tax bills to Mecklenburg county)

Old 08-31-2009, 06:51 AM

285 posts, read 800,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post

somehow I don't think you're giving 20%

Old 08-31-2009, 07:14 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,032 times
Time to cross the State Line and do most of the shopping, fueling, eating out, etc in SC. NC is not NY, NJ or DC to be charging so much in taxes and still be a Southern town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte