Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM

794 posts, read 1,862,850 times

Advertisements

My wife and I love feeding and watching the birds. In the North East we would watch blue birds, Barn Swallows, Finches, Sparrows, Nuthatches, Crows, Hawks, and Owls.

What kinds of birds can we expect to see in the CLT area?

Do seasonal birds over-winter down this way or do they go further south?

Thanks
Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
My wife and I love feeding and watching the birds. In the North East we would watch blue birds, Barn Swallows, Finches, Sparrows, Nuthatches, Crows, Hawks, and Owls.

What kinds of birds can we expect to see in the CLT area?

Do seasonal birds over-winter down this way or do they go further south?

Thanks
Al
Hi Al, welcome to Charlotte. Well, the cardinal is our state bird, you'll see lots of those. I get a lot of hummingbirds every year in my yard. Oh, and we have a family of owls on my street. Pretty cool when they start calling to each other at night!

Maybe this link will be of interest to you:

The Carolina Bird Club

Old 09-15-2009, 07:59 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,663,854 times
Cardinals, Robins, Thrushes, Orioles, Hawks, Owls, Vultures, Hummingbirds, Blue Jays, Whiporwills, and probably some others I'm forgetting about.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,833,398 times
I really enjoy bird watching too. I just leave the binoculars in one of the sunroom windows and a bird referance book to jot down the species. Here's a list of what I've seen so far. I know we have some owls but have mostly just heard them and haven't been able to identify them.

White breasted Nuthatch
Eastern Bluebird
Cardinal
Blue Jay
Brown headed Nuthatch
Brown Thrasher
American Robin
Purple Finch
American Gold Finch
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Chickadee
Hummingbirds
Red Headed Woodpecker
Downey Woodpecker
Falcon Pigeon Hawk
Rose Breasted Grosbeak
Common Grackle
Starling
Red Tailed Hawk
Dark Eyed Junco
White Throated Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Brown Headed Cowbird
Red Bellied Woodpecker

Of course the squirels love the bird feeders , so we bought a Droll Yankee Flipper. It was about $80 but well worth the entertainment.

YouTube - Yankee Flipper

Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 PM

OMG! LMAO!!! Oh thank you for that laugh....that was funny. I can just picture the squirrel sitting on the ground under the feeder and his eyeballs still rotating around in his head!

That was a great list of birds you've seen that really clears it up for me. There are a few in there I have not seen before, so I'm looking foward to spotting them.

I didn't see any mockingbirds or killdeer on your list. I would have thought you'd get those. Although the killdeer love open fields, you not see them if you are in a development or treed community.

Thanks again for the laugh....priceless!!!
Al

Old 09-15-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hi Al, welcome to Charlotte. Well, the cardinal is our state bird, you'll see lots of those. I get a lot of hummingbirds every year in my yard. Oh, and we have a family of owls on my street. Pretty cool when they start calling to each other at night!

Maybe this link will be of interest to you:

The Carolina Bird Club
We had some Owls in our backyard one year and darn near kept us awake every night! They still sounded romantic and I didn't mind them; you get used to them after a while. We love the hummers; I wonder what types you get in the area? That link you provided is awesome. I checked it out and it looks like it will be very useful.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Regards,
Al

Old 09-15-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
OMG! LMAO!!! Oh thank you for that laugh....that was funny. I can just picture the squirrel sitting on the ground under the feeder and his eyeballs still rotating around in his head!

That was a great list of birds you've seen that really clears it up for me. There are a few in there I have not seen before, so I'm looking foward to spotting them.

I didn't see any mockingbirds or killdeer on your list. I would have thought you'd get those. Although the killdeer love open fields, you not see them if you are in a development or treed community.

Thanks again for the laugh....priceless!!!
Al
Do you know we bought that darn bird feeder and had it 2 years before we saw a squirel on it, little stinks! But for some reason this summer they have been quite the entertainment. Hanging on with their 2 front feet, they last about 15 rotations & that feeder is cranking!

Yes, I didn't have it on my list, just added Mocking Bird. We had a couple nest in the bush by our front door and DH got dive bombed a couple times.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:21 AM

299 posts, read 1,072,451 times
That video was great!!! Only problem is, it looks like it is spilling out seed every time the squirrel starts a-spinnin'. Do the critters eventually figure out that they can jump on, go for a ride, and then eat all of the seed off the ground... and then do it again...?

Old 09-16-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSagess View Post
That video was great!!! Only problem is, it looks like it is spilling out seed every time the squirrel starts a-spinnin'. Do the critters eventually figure out that they can jump on, go for a ride, and then eat all of the seed off the ground... and then do it again...?
DH and I think so. At one time we had probably 8 squirels under the feeder, one would go up and spin, they'd eat and then it was like OK Bob, now it's your turn, so another squirel would venture up and spin. I'll take the seed loss for the good laugh. I haven't seen any on it for a couple of weeks now so it's not all the time.

I just checked and Photobucket accepts video's, so here is my feeder with a spinning squirel, sorry for the poor quality and it's hard to see the squirel at first but he is on top of the feeder and then shimmies down, you can definately see him spinning, he did about 16 rotations.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 AM

109 posts, read 346,103 times
We had a TON of Killdeer in Michigan, but I have not seen any here in Charlotte. I lived in Greensboro, NC, for 12 years and never saw any there either. Come to think of it, Michigan was the first place we had seen them. They're cute hopping around :-)

Here, I get lots of hummingbirds - they are abundant and brave (come right up to feed when I am 2 feet away from the feeder).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte