Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 29,193 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've basically made the decision to move to the Charlotte area next summer.

I currently live in Manhattan, and while I love it here and had a great 5 years, I'm single, in my mid twenties without children... am beginning to think more about "settling down" and a future, with my parents and family living in the Lake Norman area, it seems like Charlotte would be the obvious choice.

I have a fairly versatile job title (I worked at a prestigious law firm for a solid 2 years, and as of next summer I will also have 2 years experience at a reputable financial firm)... I would live with my parents for the first 6 months-a year, as to save up money for a car and down payment on a townhouse or something...

My questions:
1) How is the financial/banking market in Charlotte doing? Any predictions if next summer might be a bit better in terms of hiring? I am not looking for analyst or trader positions... a bit more entry level/administrative.
2) Employment agencies -- are these any good in Charlotte? All my jobs in NYC have been obtained through extremely aggressive headhunters, so I'm wondering if this is the way to go in NC as well...?
3) When should I begin the job hunt? I hear that most employers strongly consider residents, over out-of-staters for jobs... on the other hand, it seems most people recommend not moving to NC without a confirmed job offer... do I have a bit more flexibility, assuming I will be living with my parents at first...?
4) I have 2 years as a legal secretary/legal assistant at a NYC commercial litigation firm, and a paralegal certificate -- would this maybe be a better industry to look for employment, considering the market?
5) What areas in and around Charlotte would appeal to younger, single professionals? I'm not looking for trendy areas by any means, but just younger, social areas... near the water (Lake?) is even better...
6) Is Charlotte a pet-friendly city? I have a 7 year old black lab mix, and am hoping to get another dog as soon as I move out of the city... I'm wondering if many apartment complexes accept larger dogs? Are coffee shops/bars accepting of pets (I mean with their outdoor seating, not indoors.. it's not Paris!)? Are there many parks and outdoor areas for walks/hiking?
7) Cars - after living up North for 26 years, I'm wondering if a convertible (Jeep Wrangler?) would be conducive to Charlotte weather?

I think that's all the questions I have for now... I'm really just starting the preliminary process right now, just mulling over ideas and possibilities....

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 02:38 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreyeyes View Post
Hi,

I currently live in Manhattan, and while I love it here and had a great 5 years, I'm single, in my mid twenties without children... am beginning to think more about "settling down" and a future, with my parents and family living in the Lake Norman area, it seems like Charlotte would be the obvious choice.

I have a fairly versatile job title (I worked at a prestigious law firm for a solid 2 years, and as of next summer I will also have 2 years experience at a reputable financial firm)... I would live with my parents for the first 6 months-a year, as to save up money for a car and down payment on a townhouse or something...

My questions:
1) How is the financial/banking market in Charlotte doing? Any predictions if next summer might be a bit better in terms of hiring? I am not looking for analyst or trader positions... a bit more entry level/administrative.
2) Employment agencies -- are these any good in Charlotte? All my jobs in NYC have been obtained through extremely aggressive headhunters, so I'm wondering if this is the way to go in NC as well...?
3) When should I begin the job hunt? I hear that most employers strongly consider residents, over out-of-staters for jobs... on the other hand, it seems most people recommend not moving to NC without a confirmed job offer... do I have a bit more flexibility, assuming I will be living with my parents at first...?
4) I have 2 years as a legal secretary/legal assistant at a NYC commercial litigation firm, and a paralegal certificate -- would this maybe be a better industry to look for employment, considering the market?
5) What areas in and around Charlotte would appeal to younger, single professionals? I'm not looking for trendy areas by any means, but just younger, social areas... near the water (Lake?) is even better...
6) Is Charlotte a pet-friendly city? I have a 7 year old black lab mix, and am hoping to get another dog as soon as I move out of the city... I'm wondering if many apartment complexes accept larger dogs? Are coffee shops/bars accepting of pets (I mean with their outdoor seating, not indoors.. it's not Paris!)? Are there many parks and outdoor areas for walks/hiking?
7) Cars - after living up North for 26 years, I'm wondering if a convertible (Jeep Wrangler?) would be conducive to Charlotte weather?

I think that's all the questions I have for now... I'm really just starting the preliminary process right now, just mulling over ideas and possibilities....

Thanks!
There are numerous threads on here about the current situation with banking jobs.

I would suggest that you pose a similar question on the Delaware board. There is also a lot of banking there. It would get you out of NY & part way down. When the dust has settled here, you could continue on down & have that much more experience.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:46 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,901 times
Both the banks and legal markets are taking a bangin'. I worked in both areas as well and see from many friends/clients how the market has impacted them. Many people have been unemployed for a lengthy time. It does not mean they are not hiring. Received an email from a client on Friday, she was looking for a part time secretary/paralegal. I emailed her several of the gals who were laid off. Some of those who were laid off after working at this great Firm have taken a significant paycut. I just say, if you are coming, don't come with high expectations of being hired quickly and a NY salary.
Since you are living at home, the transition should be easier. Check out the banks websites, as well as get a list of the lawfirms and start searching. Also, use your existing contacts in NYC to see if they could assist with your job search. It's always who you know --that's how I arrived from NYC to CLT two years ago.
A jeep wrangler will do. I can't comment on places that allow dogs to sit. Yes, dogs are welcomed in Charlotte--very pet friendly with lots of parks.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreyeyes View Post
Hi,

My questions:

Thanks!
Welcome to the Charlotte board I think it's always a good thing for a young person to think outside the box and be willing to explore new horizons while they have fewer encumbrances.

As far as cars - we don't have weather that would prevent you from driving anything you would like to drive. If we are lucky we get maybe 6 inches of snow a year. Ice storms are more common (at one or two storms a year) but NOBODY drives then

Charlotte is a pet friendly city though we do have leash laws. There are also dog parks where you can let your dog go off leash. In the NoDa neighborhood there is even a popular dog bar.

Many young people settle in NoDa, it's nearby neighbor Plaza Midwood, uptown, Southend or up near the lake at Birkdale.

The job market here is not great right now, especially in the financial sector or for paralegal jobs. Most paralegals jobs are looking for folks with years of experience before they will even interviw someone. However, maybe by next summer some of this will have improved. Keep your fingers crossed. But right now our unemployment is near 13%.

Best of luck in your decision to move

Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
Answers to your questions:
  1. Sucks now, will suck next year. You will be in line with 1000s of others for any jobs that open like this.
  2. The corporations here for the most part use national employment firms when they use them.
  3. When should you do a job hunt? Don't move here until you have a job unless you don't mind leeching from your folks.
  4. See #1.
  5. Lots of activity in downtown clubs, great deal of activity on Lake Norman. See LKNfun.com for more info. Really don't need to live in these places.
  6. Most apartments don't like dogs. Expect to pay more for them. Most businesses don't like dogs either.
  7. Jeep Wrangler will be fine if you have the canvas roof for it. It does get hot, cold and does rain here.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:30 PM

120 posts, read 238,092 times
your family lives here already why not ask them how it is....they should b able to tell u....u said a lake they live on one so there is your answer to that question..

Old 09-23-2009, 05:33 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,710 times
I have a question for you.....are you a true city-boy (or girl, sorry, I only speed read ur post and couldn't really tell, no offense)?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
^^^^^^says he/she lives in Manhattan for 5 years and loves it. Can't get more "city" than that.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
^^^^^^says he/she lives in Manhattan for 5 years and loves it. Can't get more "city" than that.
sorry, you must not understand. no idea if the OP moved there 5 years ago from bumblephuk idaho or from queens/brooklyn/other major city. if the OP is a natural born city boy/girl, I have one response. if they moved there 5 years ago and got caught up in a situation and is finally trying to get out, that's another response.

anyone can 'move to manhattan', but not everyone is a true 'cityboy/girl'

Old 10-08-2009, 08:25 AM

8 posts, read 29,193 times
Originally from Long Island...so I've always been a city girl, I guess. I mean, in the way that I've always expored the city, and never been the touristy "oh look at the tall buildings and bright lights" type. I mean, it's just faster paced and more aggressive, which I like.

On the other hand, I'm looking to mellow out a little bit. I'm trying to get away from the cut throat mentality that I've worked in for the past 5 years, and the superficial social scene. You can get pretty jaded here... so I'm looking forward to a more relaxed, casual place to live. I was almost thinking Charleston til my mom got sick....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte