Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,313 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy in Chalotte area and have heard that the light rail system will raise house values on the south side and will make them great investments. But I'm from the San Francisco area, and the BART rail system didn't really have such an affect. Any opinion? WHich zip codes/areas would you consider to be the best bet to buy, fix and/or hold onto a few years, and then sell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 02:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
I love the options of travel in the S.F area especially the caltrain express line to san jose. Between Caltrain Muni and Bart getting around the city and other cities was a breeze.

In my opinion I seriously doubt light rail if it will have much affect on house prices in the south side Charlotte area mainly due to there is hardly any housing within walking distance (less than 10 minutes) of the rail line just a few condos such as the Arlington are near the line.

For areas to look into flipping for higher return in investment I would look into is areas that are going thru positive change 28037 28164 28081 28083 28027 28120 29732 29710

Also I must state going by a zipcode is a little broad approach as there is bad areas and good areas within a zip code

Old 05-21-2007, 10:51 PM

113 posts, read 457,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttoinvest View Post
I'm looking to buy in Chalotte area and have heard that the light rail system will raise house values on the south side and will make them great investments. But I'm from the San Francisco area, and the BART rail system didn't really have such an affect. Any opinion? WHich zip codes/areas would you consider to be the best bet to buy, fix and/or hold onto a few years, and then sell?
no it will not. it needs to be a System, the A to B deal is not going to cut it.
consider it's constantly getting put on hold as it is. Plus, chances are 0 the suburban moms will trust their kids to a train, they don't trust the school bus. As far as buying fixer uppers, it seems to be a different subject. They are not exactly where the light rail is.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I love the options of travel in the S.F area especially the caltrain express line to san jose. Between Caltrain Muni and Bart getting around the city and other cities was a breeze.

In my opinion I seriously doubt light rail if it will have much affect on house prices in the south side Charlotte area mainly due to there is hardly any housing within walking distance (less than 10 minutes) of the rail line just a few condos such as the Arlington are near the line.

For areas to look into flipping for higher return in investment I would look into is areas that are going thru positive change 28037 28164 28081 28083 28027 28120 29732 29710

Also I must state going by a zipcode is a little broad approach as there is bad areas and good areas within a zip code
whoa I thought I was from here...are those in Charlotte? thank you...don't know those zip-codes but will look up. Could you name some neighborhoods?

Old 05-22-2007, 06:37 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttoinvest View Post
Let me see if I can fully answer your question. First of all, there are PLENTY of homes within a 10 minute walking distance of the light rail. And yes, the light rail has increased property values up and down the entire stretch of it. I would not necessarily say the light rail will make all of them a "great" investment, but good, yes. This section of the light rail may only stretch for 10 miles from Pineville to uptown, but that covers a lot of densely populated area - it's a good start to a system that will eventually offer other connections from uptown to the university area and Huntersville. People should remember, Rome was not built in a day.

As far as investing in property, a lot depends on how much you want to spend. The trendier area just south of uptown called Southend has many new lofts, condos, businesses. The residences there are already a bit pricey, though I do believe they will only appreciate over time. The further south you go toward Pineville the cheaper and cheaper the neighborhoods get (not counting downtown Pineville itself). Also, the worse they get in terms of criminal activity and a high hispanic concentration (not that I am implying those two go hand in hand, I AM NOT). But coming from such a large metro area as San Fran, you may not find our lower income areas nearly as bad as some of us here do. They are certainly not slums or ghettos, just not exactly middle class.

Looking homes up by zip code will not give you the info you want, as zip codes stretch over large areas (and the ones mentioned previously are not even in Charlotte). Instead look by neighborhood; places like Wilmore, Sedgefield, Starmount, Hebron, Sterling and Sharonbrook.

In my opinion (which has been formed over the 20 years I have lived here, unlike some who just got here yesterday)
your best bet would be to look to invest in Wilmore or Sedgefield.

Best of luck

Last edited by lovesMountains; 05-22-2007 at 06:50 AM..

Old 05-22-2007, 10:20 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,267 times
I was just visited Denver, CO and rode there light rail. I was amazed at the high volumes of people riding the light rail as well as the buses there. From Business men to school students. I saw a lot of similarities in the 2 cities. And the way gas is going Light rail and public transportation will likely be seeing many much more support across the country.

I hope Raleigh (Where I live) and the triangle get their act together with the light rail also.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
The zipcodes I provided are areas that meet one of the following conditions that are going to provide excellent growth opprotunities within the zip codes they are either near a non populated spot on a lake, in process of great job and industry growth or receiving a new or revamp road access into charlotte area.

Geographically speaking Sedgefield looks like it will be close to the light rail line so yes it is near it but unless you have a house that is in backyard of one of the box stores or industries to gain access to one of the rail stops you will have to walk to one of major roads then make an attempt to cross the non pedestrian friendly south blvd to the rail stops and by the time one would do this they could have drove into uptown charlotte in same amount of time. Also walking to the stop during our summers or winters will not be pleasant
Sedgefield homes are already pricey and yes they will appreciate but at a normal rate for charlotte area not because of light rail line.

If you ever took bart from SFO airport thru south San Francisco the view has alot of similiarities to where Charlotte Lynx line is going

I just think for what you are wanting to do is get in an area that will be a future hot spot to live.
I try to earn extra cash the same way for instance I was just outbid on a home under forclosure in Huntersville 28078 the forclosure rate was at 65k across street from a nice subdivision and homes in this area are averaging in 200k so the hunt still on. I cant imagine trying to do what you are wanting to do without knowing the area but my hat is off to you. Flipping can be fun and alot of work too.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 PM

Hah, I knew it, it is not in in Charlotte.
Well, the lightrail will run along the Greenway through Belmont, Villa Heights and NoDa. This is in the drafts though. As far as grouth goes...that's where it is. Just last Christmas we were buying fixer-uppers in Belmont for 90k (christmas special) now the same fixer-uppers are selling sweetly for $140. (that is, 50k up in just half a year, just like that!)
new construction sprung up in 400dreds...how, in Villa Height? I thought some one give me a break. But I beleive now after I've seen it.
Being an investor takes a lot of guts, a lot of risk. Checking crime reports is probably Not what a true urban pioneer should do. better check the sales reports I think.
a lot on 15th street and Belmont street for sale now....I know, I know, crime, I drive there every day. But that is the last fronteer of Belmont, after that it is done.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 AM

36 posts, read 61,141 times
Some cities have stable ownership of these condos, since it's been around for a while in those places. But many other cities are just now getting used to building them. So for them, the mindset is that the ones who move there are Pioneers reclaiming the former ghettos. In some cities, this is a new experimental lifestyle change. So as you suggested in your forum, the Urban Pioneers who set out onto these older but newly revitalized communities may eventually sell. Because some are empty nesters who are experimenting. Some are singles who love the urban lifestyle, but may eventually change as they become married with kids. The light rails condos all over the country are very nice, modern, and of course, convenient. It's made for a lifestyle which is said to be a step up in overall quality of living. Mainly because the people who live there have much more free time then those who have long stressful commutes to the suburbs. Not just job commutes, but any function of daily life that requires long waiting times for suburban travelers will hinder their life quality. So the light rail condo lifestyle lets you walk anywhere and get things done within your immediate grasp. Then it's on to relaxing! I do have a question though. Why do all the light rail condo designs all look strikingly alike? They all look like modern versions of industrial buildings from the 1920's or 1930's
After all we've learned of architecture and design, and after all we've absorbed about incorporating beauty into home building,.....why is the industrial warehouse design the prominent design choice of light rail condos? Couldn't they incorporate designs and build lovely exciting structures like the condos in San Diego, Scottsdale, or Boca Raton? Couldn't they put nice things like that along the light rails lines of America? Portland, Minneapolis, Charlotte, Baltimore, soon-to-be Atlanta, and other light rail lifestyle cities all have brand new condos, but those condos are designed to look like the 1930's rail yard warehouses surrounding it.
Anyway, other than that, the light rail condo lifestyle allows more quality freetime. But it takes a certain type individual to sustain that lifestyle. Those of us who have been brainwashed into thinking that a successful life means being in the suburbs near indoor malls might have trouble adjusting our minds. So many of these condo units may be for a short stay. I hope many other residents will change the way we think, and build lasting communities along the rail lines.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:35 AM

416 posts, read 927,813 times
I'm not a real estate expert, I don't think you'd ever see a noticeable return on investment simply from light rail in Charlotte. In a lot of cities, mass transit is a neccessity because parking is limited (or expensive) downtown. Traffic is also so bad in areas, that light rail is a real time saver.

I live in Ballantyne and drive over to the Pineville/485 station to catch light rail to Panthers/Bobcats games or for other downtown activities. It costs $3.50 or so to get a roundtrip light rail ticket. I can park downtown anywhere from completely free to $50 or so on gamedays. For folks that work downtown, you can purchase a monthly parking spot for a reasonable expense. In the end, when you compare a light rail ticket to the gas/parking fees of downtown, its not that far off.

From Ballantyne, it takes about 45 minutes for me to get downtown using light rail. This includes the 10 minute ride to the station, 5 minutes to buy a ticket and wait for train to take off, and a 30 minute train ride. I can easily get downtown faster in my car.

Taking those factors into account, living near light rail is really a must have for someone without a car. It'd be really hard to live in Charlotte without a car since our public transport system is not as developed as a larger city. I know plenty of people in Chicago/DC/NY/etc. that don't have a car (it would be too expensive). I can understand why they would they would pay a premium to be very close to rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte