Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

We decided to take a little drive in the uptown area of Charlotte today and were really surprised by the amount of what looked like liveable housing. There were nice places where it used to look like a slum. What is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 07:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We decided to take a little drive in the uptown area of Charlotte today and were really surprised by the amount of what looked like liveable housing. There were nice places where it used to look like a slum. What is going on?
lol, you don't get out to uptown Charlotte often do you?

Uptown Charlotte has been a great place to live for at least 10 years now. Something like 30,000 people live there now. It was never really slummy, just had some older stuff that needed to be rehabbed or torn down. 20 years ago or so they rolled up the sidewalks at 5 pm when all the banks closed, but the times have definitely changed and it's a hopping place all the time now. I wouldn't walk alone at 3 a.m. or anything, but as downtown centers go it's not really a scary place at all

Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Uptown Charlotte has been a great place to live for at least 10 years now. Something like 30,000 people live there now. It was never really slummy, just had some older stuff that needed to be rehabbed or torn down. 20 years ago or so they rolled up the sidewalks at 5 pm when all the banks closed, but the times have definitely changed and it's a hopping place all the time now. I wouldn't walk alone at 3 a.m. or anything, but as downtown centers go it's not really a scary place at all
You are right about there not being any slums in the past. It was a bad choice of words. And no, we don't get up there often. Since 485 was built we have really had no reason to go there and the last few times we had gone that way made me not want to go back.

It was a much different place today. We toured around 7th street, Dilworth--last time we were there, we went to a friends funeral; the Queens area where our daughter used to go to the traditional school, etc. I think we both thoroughly enjoyed it.

I saw several apartments or condos that had cute little balcony's on them that might be a good place to spend time if we ever get so old we need public transportation. That is something we had never thought about until this past year when we both had health issues and luckily at different times.

I used to shop at a shoe place near the theatre, Belk's, Sears.

I saw people out jogging today instead of people hanging out on the street corner.

We moved out of Charlotte back in 1975. We go to different outskirts, but really did not look back toward uptown. I guess we just had a full life where we are now.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:26 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Uptown Charlotte has been a great place to live for at least 10 years now. Something like 30,000 people live there now. ....
There are approximately 9,000 - 10,000 people living in the 6 census districts that form the area inside I-277, commonly called "uptown" or the center city these days. This is a census estimate of the counted base of ~6,064 who lived there in the 2000 census, and 6,032 from the 1990 census.

The number seems small but it is a 67% jump in less than 10 years. However, this estimate released in 2009 covers the period through 2008, I suspect this grown rate has not been sustained over the last couple of years and may have even gone negative.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 AM

Well, while the same number of people may live there, what I noticed is that the neighborhood has changed greatly and the places they live seem to have had an upgrade. I loved those little apartments or condos, I really did not know which they were. We spent a week in a studio apartment in Pompano Beach that looked similar. While our 500 square feet room was getting a little small by the end of the week, our deck with the great view of the ocean and the town and the lake made it liveable. Without that, I think we would have spent a lot more time out.

I think I could adjust to living in a multiple bedroom condo with the deck uptown. I don't think I would want to live in a single home there because of security issues, but the apartment would give you a more safe living environment and the deck would really be fun to sit on and people watch. I would want it to be at least the second or third floor though.

I enjoy public transportation and if I knew more about the Charlotte transit system, I might be encouraged to use it more. Maybe they could put a little informational talk together and explain the system on public TV everyday. If more people rode public transportation, it would certainly help with the air quality. Since I live 25 miles away, it would be awful to get uptown and find there is no way home except a cab. That could get really expensive. I know there are park and ride places, because one is our church parking lot and I see the signs. Maybe they could add a few more to other towns. Better yet would be if they did a circle bus that goes to outlying towns on an hour or half hour schedule for 24 hours. The 24 hour schedule would help one feel more secure in traveling on public transportation. That way, there would always be a way home.

Last edited by NCN; 01-11-2010 at 09:52 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 AM

117 posts, read 295,661 times
I live in alhpa mill apartments on 12th street. I know its technically not IN uptown but its the only place we go for anything so I like to think I live there. Its a 10 min walk through parking lots to anything worth noting. Homeless or undesirables are not a problem, especially in the winter but you do run into the occasional person asking for change. I have friends in the gateway area which is also nice. You are right though there are some very nice condos and scenery in uptown especially the 4th ward area. Maybe I'll be able to afford one some day haha.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:08 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I enjoy public transportation and if I knew more about the Charlotte transit system, I might be encouraged to use it more. Maybe they could put a little informational talk together and explain the system on public TV everyday. If more people rode public transportation, it would certainly help with the air quality. Since I live 25 miles away, it would be awful to get uptown and find there is no way home except a cab. That could get really expensive. I know there are park and ride places, because one is our church parking lot and I see the signs. Maybe they could add a few more to other towns. Better yet would be if they did a circle bus that goes to outlying towns on an hour or half hour schedule for 24 hours. The 24 hour schedule would help one feel more secure in traveling on public transportation. That way, there would always be a way home.
It would be nice. CATS does have a really good web site. CATS (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Home.htm - broken link) Try the trip planner to see what routes are available in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte