Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 AM

206 posts, read 514,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
So we finally found a home and have a signed contract. We are closing on our TX home on 1/29 and will be closing on the NC home on 2/15 - which will put us in temporary housing for about 2 1/2 weeks (in Charlotte because the relocation company will pay for temporary housing where you are moving TO, but not where you are moving FROM + I really wanted to get my 8th grade daughter started as close to the beginning of the semester as possible). CMS will not allow us to enroll in the school that our new home is zoned for until after the closing (this information directly from the family enrollment center of CMS) They are saying we must put our kids in the school of the corporate housing (there is none available in the correct school zone) for 2 weeks and then switch them to their new school once we've closed. I am trying to figure out what the consequences are for having them out of school for 2 weeks before being re-enrolled (because there is absolutely no way I'm making them go to another school for just 2 weeks). I figure the very worst would be I have to go before a judge for truancy charges and I explain the situation and he says "Dismissed!" Thoughts???
FYI the closing docs won't even be enough - that was our experience. Take Chicago's suggestion seriously and get you bank accounts open with your new address ASAP. They asked us for utility bills also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 09:55 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
FYI the closing docs won't even be enough - that was our experience. Take Chicago's suggestion seriously and get you bank accounts open with your new address ASAP. They asked us for utility bills also.
To add to this: banks understand the residency requirement for enrolling students in school (especially in CLT where so many new kids start school at any point in the school year) and can put together a letter stating that you have an account with them. Utilities too: obviously you won't have a month's bill to bring to registration, but they (utilities) will also write up something that states this is a new account at this address, etc.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:22 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
I am appalled at the hoops you newcomers are having to jump thru these days to get enrolled with CMS It sure didn't used to be this way!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:38 AM

587 posts, read 1,625,556 times
Thank you SO MUCH for all of your advice and suggestions. They are really helpful. I think the transfer idea is going to work, just based on initial conversation with the family application center. I will be sure to get the utilities letter and the bank letter in advance as well. And I will let y'all know how it turns out!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
Thank you SO MUCH for all of your advice and suggestions. They are really helpful. I think the transfer idea is going to work, just based on initial conversation with the family application center. I will be sure to get the utilities letter and the bank letter in advance as well. And I will let y'all know how it turns out!
Oh, and congrats on the new house!!

Old 01-20-2010, 02:06 PM

Thanks loves : )

Old 01-20-2010, 05:19 PM

9 posts, read 14,603 times
I would keep them out of school for the two weeks it is ridiculous they would have them switch schools. It's hard enough to leave their home school. I probably would contact the school board and let them know for two weeks you would give them lesson plans. We recently moved to Charlotte-Mecklenburg; luckily we did not purchase a home in our current county.y son loves his elementary school however my daughter hates her high school..lol... We are still searching for the Almost-perfect area....Good luck....

Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,548 times
We went through this as well. Yeah, I'm going to sign a document that commits me to paying a couple hundred thousand dollars just so I can get my kid in the school I want. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formermdgirl View Post
I probably would contact the school board and let them know for two weeks you would give them lesson plans.
I wouldn't contact the school board at all! In order for those lesson plans to not count as truancy, you'd have to register as a home school. No one will know that your kids are not in school for those two weeks, except you, believe me.

Though it sounds like the transfer thing will work for you. Good luck with it all!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:49 AM

situation resolved! Just wanted to let y'all know that CMS is going to let the girls start in the schools zoned for our new neighborhood. They are going to do a reassignment - thanks SO much for your suggestions - esp. Movin-On who suggested the reassignment/transfer. IT worked like a charm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: