Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

On Valentine's Day Pookie and I went out for dinner at the Outback in
Salisbury and when our server Matthew S. came to get our order
I told him we would like the Sweetheart Special they had going
With saying that he automatically knew we were a couple.

It didnt seem to bother him that we was a couple he gave us excellent service.
He delivered the Blooming Onion, salad, bread, Steak, drink refills
in a timely matter.
Sitting across from of us was this black & white couple and it didnt
really catch my eye til the man got up to go over and kiss his
girlfriend.

I thought how cool we are experiencing a new generation 21st century if
you will. Salisbury is in Rowan County and I once thought it was
redneck. How cool here is a black & white couple & a gay couple out
having dinner. This was once taboo

It got me thinking though why cant I reach over give my Pookie a kiss.
Just a simple peck or sat on the same side and hold hands.
But I dont because I just felt our society isnt ready yet to
see gay couple public affection yet.
Share your opinion
thanks

moderator note:
please keep it local & be civil

;
;
;

;

;
;
;

;

Old 02-16-2010, 04:27 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Sunny, as much as it may be accepted that you are a couple, I am not sure that society is ready to SEE that you are a couple. At least not here. (NC in general)

In Chicago, this was common and has been for many years. So, for me, it is a non-event. But, I think that you might experience some backlash ...well, in the form of dirty looks anyway....here.

Just my opinion...

Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
I would have shown affection anyway. Who cares what is thought by others , except for these so called celebrities. Especially up there. It's just a matter of minding one's business , which once again , is 'out of style'.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:42 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
^^^^^^^^great post, eta^^^^^^^^^

Old 02-16-2010, 05:38 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
As long as it is legally permissible to discriminate against Gays and Lesbians in North Carolina and by the US Federal government, then I would say the answer is probably no for most of Charlotte. For the surrounding area, you might be taking your life in your own hands. If the restaurant owner wanted to throw you out for being Gay, it would be perfectly legal in NC for them to do so. Charlotte has made progress as I have a Gay friend who was in his 20s in the 1960s in Charlotte and has told stories of Charlotte police raids on Gay & Lesbian establishments where they would lock up same sex couples from doing no more than dancing with each other. It's much better than that now, but I still don't think public signs of affection between two men is permissible here, less so for women. (yes it is a double standard of discrimination)

While society has moved forward on this it is still a long way from where it needs to be.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
As long as it is legally permissible to discriminate against Gays and Lesbians in North Carolina and by the US Federal government, then I would say the answer is probably no for most of Charlotte. For the surrounding area, you might be taking your life in your own hands. If the restaurant owner wanted to throw you out for being Gay, it would be perfectly legal in NC for them to do so. Charlotte has made progress as I have a Gay friend who was in his 20s in the 1960s in Charlotte and has told stories of Charlotte police raids on Gay & Lesbian establishments where they would lock up same sex couples from doing no more than dancing with each other. It's much better than that now, but I still don't think public signs of affection between two men is permissible here, less so for women. (yes it is a double standard of discrimination)

While society has moved forward on this it is still a long way from where it needs to be.
Keep in mind that it was that way in most places in the 1960s...the APA didn't declassify homosexuality as a mental illness until 1973, and the Stonewall Riots didn't happen until 1969.

I don't care for public displays of affection between anyone, but a same-sex couple would be taking a chance at some kind of retaliation whether they are in San Francisco or Charlotte. Personally...if I wanted to kiss my partner at Outback I would do it.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,186 times
I have no problem with it. Well, no more than I do with straight couples anyway.

Last night, I went to the Brandi Carlile concert at McGlohon. It made me keenly aware that I am not a lesbian. The snuggly, affectionate couples didn't bother me at all. But there was one couple that took it a little too far and were just plain making out with deep soul kissing and fondling and the works -- and well, get a room. I don't want to see that whether you're gay, straight or whatever.

On another, much shallower note -- for me there is a sliding scale of how much public affection is allowed by a couple before it's offensive. And it's directly related to how pretty they are. I am, of course, a pig.

Sunny, if I were at a restaurant and saw you lean over and give Pookie a kiss, the only thing I would say/think is "aww."

Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
I don't particularly care for any PDAs straight or gay. A peck on the cheek is probably OK but I am talking about people who start necking at the bus stop and other public places.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:13 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
I think a peck on the cheek is totally acceptable, as is walking down the street holding hands.

Would not care to witness any couple of any orientation playing tonsil hockey.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I think a peck on the cheek is totally acceptable, as is walking down the street holding hands.

Would not care to witness any couple of any orientation playing tonsil hockey.
lol tonsil hockey, yeah i'm the same way if I walk by a couple doing that
I murmur but loud enough they can here it "Get a hotel room."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte