Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 03:08 PM

9 posts, read 23,593 times

Advertisements

Hi, My company is transferring me to the Kings Mtn area in about a month and I'd like to get some info please. Our priorities are the following:

Live near a good Catholic school for our 4th grader (with accompanying church or one nearby)

Suburban/rural small town yet near big city feel (for example, we lived in a country house on 1 acre 10 minutes from a mid-sized city and 40 mins from a million plus city for 10 years and it was great)

Family friendly---kids are out playing after school, at parks, riding bikes, etc. nearby

Community oriented. We volunteer a lot and want to belong to a great community, be and have good neighbors, and feel welcomed and useful.

About us, I'm 47, educated white professional, husband is 54, Hispanic American, technical field (environmental remediation) who will need to find a job. Our daughter plays tennis, swims, rides horses, takes guitar and is in Girl Scouts. We can live in an ethnically diverse neighborhood or a homogenous one, doesn't matter to us.
I don't mind commuting from Charlotte area to work (I'm guessing it would be a "reverse commute", anyway?) Our main goal is to live near a good school in a neighborhood where kids are friendly, active, and play outside. Where we live now, the kids have to make "playdates" and no one plays outside in the neighborhood.

I was able to visit Gastonia for a few hours 2 days ago, but I really don't think I got a good feel for the area. We'd rent at first and buy in a few months, and can afford up to around $380k.

Any information you can give me is appreciated. I've searched the internet and received a bunch of info from the Chamber of Commerce, but I know I'll get great information from y'all!! (I'm learning the lingo)
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspotts35 View Post
Hi, My company is transferring me to the Kings Mtn area in about a month and I'd like to get some info please. Our priorities are the following:

Live near a good Catholic school for our 4th grader (with accompanying church or one nearby)

Suburban/rural small town yet near big city feel (for example, we lived in a country house on 1 acre 10 minutes from a mid-sized city and 40 mins from a million plus city for 10 years and it was great)

Family friendly---kids are out playing after school, at parks, riding bikes, etc. nearby

Community oriented. We volunteer a lot and want to belong to a great community, be and have good neighbors, and feel welcomed and useful.

About us, I'm 47, educated white professional, husband is 54, Hispanic American, technical field (environmental remediation) who will need to find a job. Our daughter plays tennis, swims, rides horses, takes guitar and is in Girl Scouts. We can live in an ethnically diverse neighborhood or a homogenous one, doesn't matter to us.
I don't mind commuting from Charlotte area to work (I'm guessing it would be a "reverse commute", anyway?) Our main goal is to live near a good school in a neighborhood where kids are friendly, active, and play outside. Where we live now, the kids have to make "playdates" and no one plays outside in the neighborhood.

I was able to visit Gastonia for a few hours 2 days ago, but I really don't think I got a good feel for the area. We'd rent at first and buy in a few months, and can afford up to around $380k.

Any information you can give me is appreciated. I've searched the internet and received a bunch of info from the Chamber of Commerce, but I know I'll get great information from y'all!! (I'm learning the lingo)
Thanks in advance!
MS, I like Kings Mt, but you need to realize you are going to a more rural area. You will not find a Catholic School there or very near there I am afraid. You can however, travel over to Gastonia to St. Michael's, not convenient but your only real option in that area that I know of if you wanted to try to live near where you work.

You COULD live in Charlotte but that be a lot more driving than I'd personally want to do every day - possibly an hour or so depending on where you found a house and traffic conditions. In your price range you'd need to look to live near either St. Matthews in the south Charlotte area or near St. Mark's in Huntersville, north of Charlotte. We have but a handful of Catholic Schools in Charlotte you see.

My best advice? Look at living in Belmont, near Gastonia. it's a great little city with very easy access to Charlotte. Your daughter could attend St. Michaels in Gastonia and your commute would be much easier. In your price range there are some really nice homes in Belle Meade, or over in nearby McAdenville (between Belmont and Gastonia) in McAdenville Village.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 02-17-2010 at 04:22 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 04:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Hi, I live in the City of Kings Mountain.

There is a Catholic mission in Kings Mountain & a parish in Shelby.

There is a Catholic school in Gastonia.

I'll give you some links. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

St Mary Catholic Church Shelby, NC 28150

Christ the King Mission Kings Mountain, NC 28086

This gives information on churches & schools.

Home (http://www.charlottediocese.org/index.html - broken link)

Old 02-17-2010, 04:57 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
You want to take care about your choices in the areas you are looking at unless you like listening to jets land and take off at the airport. There is a US Airways hub here and these things go every two minutes all day long. Belmont should be OK but start getting closer to that side of Charlotte and the more you will be affected by the planes.

Rural NC doesn't have many Catholic churches as there are not many Catholic people. However if you are going to work in Kings Mountain, then you don't want to consider living in Charlotte. It's just too far away and there are too many issues on I-85 to make this a fun drive.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:41 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,597 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
What sort of commute time would be acceptable for you?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 PM

I forgot to mention, if you decide where you want to live, use realtor.com & yahoorealestate to search. There are plenty of homes in your price range out here without going to South Charlotte. There are 2 MLS directories in this area & I found that using those realestate searches pretty well covered it.

There are a couple of nice residential areas in Gastonia.

Kids play outside in Kings Mountain. I've seen them playing outside in Gastonia.

Taxes are cheaper in Cleveland County The city of Kings Mountain is in both Gaston & Cleveland counties.

As I said before, if you have questions just ask.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 AM

9 posts, read 23,593 times
Thank you all for the great information. To answer a few questions, I'd like a commute that is less than 30 mins, but I would go up to an hour if it means being in a neighborhood that is a better fit for us.
I don't relish living near a flight path!!! I will admit I like a little peace and quiet when I'm sitting on the porch or deck out back.
Thanks again for the wonderful suggestions.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for the great information. To answer a few questions, I'd like a commute that is less than 30 mins, but I would go up to an hour if it means being in a neighborhood that is a better fit for us.
I don't relish living near a flight path!!! I will admit I like a little peace and quiet when I'm sitting on the porch or deck out back.
Thanks again for the wonderful suggestions.
As I said, I live in the city, in Kings Mountain. I can get to wherever I want, in Gastonia, in 10 -15 minutes. If you want to live near the school in Gastonia, you would want to look in south Gastonia or Crowders Mountain areas. I can give you some reference streets, if you want them. Mapquest will be your friend for the online part of your search, there.

Otherwise, there are some very nice houses in your price range in Kings Mountain.

You don't say where you are now, but Kings Mountain has a very large supermarket (I think the largest in the whole area.) Since you will be working in this area, even if you don't live in the town, this is important for you to know (Grocery shopping is our most frequent shopping.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte