Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 AM

8 posts, read 12,704 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a single female in my 30's and I am currently in Nursing School pursuing my RN. I am researching areas to move to after school and I am very interested in Charlotte. I love to go swimming. I have a dog and love going for walks or hikes.

What is it like for a single person? Is it easy to meet people? What activities are there to do? How is the job market? How is the housing market? How is the dating scene?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
What is it about Charlotte that interests you?

Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanbean79 View Post
Hello,

I am a single female in my 30's and I am currently in Nursing School pursuing my RN. I am researching areas to move to after school and I am very interested in Charlotte. I love to go swimming. I have a dog and love going for walks or hikes.

What is it like for a single person? Is it easy to meet people? What activities are there to do? How is the job market? How is the housing market? How is the dating scene?

Many of these questions have been addressed. The general consensus has been:
Job market is TOUGH - doesn't matter what profession you're in
Housing market - typical; buyer's market
Dating scene - this is more of a 'family' city, not 'singles' city overall
Activities - NC has a lot of outdoor activities to choose from, but Charlotte doesn't offer a lot of lake swimming
I can't answer for single people

Old 04-22-2010, 11:06 AM

841 posts, read 2,476,611 times
I agree with the above post. I, too moved to the Charlotte area from NYC, but I have a husband and 2 kids. I always tell my best friend (who is single and in NY) that she won't like it out here...it's very family oriented...I wouldn't move here if I were single.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 AM

569 posts, read 1,410,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanbean79 View Post
Hello,

As a CLT native in my 30's I can tell you that this is not the best place for singles. It is pretty tough to meet people according to my single friends. The wife and I have a few single friends that we always bring to parties (hoping to set them up) but it is tough because it seems most people are already with someone. If I were single I'm not sure this would be the place for me.
As far as activities go...there is plenty to do. If you are into the outdoors we have all kinds of parks and hiking trails. Crowders and Kings MTN are a 30 minute drive from downtown. The whitewater center is about 25 minutes from downtown which has hiking, rafting, kayaking and MTN biking. The mountains are 2 hours away and there are also lots of vineyards along the way if you are into wine tasting. If you are a sports bar kind of girl then there are plenty of these to choose from. There are 3-4 large lakes all within a 20-35 minute drive from downtown so if you are into swimming you have alot of options.
The job market here to be frank just plain sucks. Do not come here if you do not have a job lined up. My wife has been out of work 18 months now and she has contacts in her industry. There are tons of houses with eager sellers to choose from (that won't be a problem). Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:13 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,209 times
Charlotte is a "married" town...Don't do it.........As the previous posters have posted... You will not like it if you are single......Try Dallas, Denver, even Phoenix.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Charlotte is a "married" town...Don't do it.
Someone should have told that to Rielle Hunter - but then again that hasn't stopped her before LOL.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:43 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Charlotte is a "married" town...Don't do it.........As the previous posters have posted... You will not like it if you are single......Try Dallas, Denver, even Phoenix.
LOL

Dallas MSA has a population of nearly 6.5 million. Phoenix is 4.3 million. Denver is 2.5 million. Charlotte's MSA has a population of 1.75 million. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

I have a friend who just got married over New Year's and he met his wife here. While he was still "dating around" he said "you could nearly have a (different) date every night, if you wanted to".

I'm married, but I'd wager that there are plenty of single folks here in CLT - it's a big (enough) place.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 9,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
LOL

Dallas MSA has a population of nearly 6.5 million. Phoenix is 4.3 million. Denver is 2.5 million. Charlotte's MSA has a population of 1.75 million. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

I have a friend who just got married over New Year's and he met his wife here. While he was still "dating around" he said "you could nearly have a (different) date every night, if you wanted to".

I'm married, but I'd wager that there are plenty of single folks here in CLT - it's a big (enough) place.
I totally agree...I'm from NY. I'm married with children, but I have friends back at home that are still single. It's what you make of it.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
if you want to stay single go to a city where there are a bunch of single people.... but if you want to get married or settle down it would make sense to be in a place where it's family oriented.

Charlotte isn't Utah... it's not like everyone is married with kids walking around in fluffy white dresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte