Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:46 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times

Advertisements

I stayed there in the late 60's. I guess it is long gone by now. Does anyone have any info ¿

Vintage-toys.com: Fairyland Courts LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN TENNESSEE (http://www.vintage-toys.com/item.html?i=6804&r=froogle - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 12:47 AM

5 posts, read 23,773 times
Default Fairyland

Have you tried the website for the Fairyland Club? http://www.fairylandclub.org

Just thought this might help you.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverviewLady View Post
Have you tried the website for the Fairyland Club? http://www.fairylandclub.org

Just thought this might help you.
I don't think this is the same place.

It's probably gone by now and built up with something else (progress)

Thanks...

Old 08-30-2007, 08:34 PM

697 posts, read 3,020,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
It's probably gone by now and built up with something else (progress)
Maybe not . . . .

Fairyland Courts? (http://tinyurl.com/2zvpu4 - broken link)

Hard to tell from the aerial, but it seems to match the layout and overall look of the photo. It's approximately 7 blocks west of Rock City, and is only a couple of hundred feet from the intersection of Pied Piper Rd and Lula Lake Rd. (i.e., the Fairyland neighborhood). There apparently is no longer a Georgia Highway 210 -- I suspect it either used to be what's now Lula Lake Rd, or was redesignated GA 157, which intersects Lula Lake Rd a couple hundred feet south of this location (and which the parking area for Rock City is on).

Of course, there's no guarantee that it hasn't been demolished since the picture was taken -- the aerials on Google Maps for my neighborhood still show an old house nearby that's been demolished for a year and half. And it might not be the right place. But it looks like a good candidate based on the info provided.

The old Fairyland Fire House and Police Station has been recently converted into a Starbucks, however.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the info....

Old 09-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Rackensack, thanks for the map. It's still there and is a B & B now. Spent 45th anniversary there last night and she was just thrilled......

Old 09-04-2007, 06:41 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,275 times
Great news! Glad you all had a wonderful time

Old 09-04-2007, 12:13 PM

697 posts, read 3,020,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Rackensack, thanks for the map. It's still there and is a B & B now. Spent 45th anniversary there last night and she was just thrilled......
Awww. Outstanding. Makes the small amount of time I spent researching that and writing it up more than worthwhile.

My parents just celebrated their 45th as well around the first of August. My sister and I and our families took them back to Petit Jean Mountain State Park in Arkansas, which is where they honeymooned, for a couple of nights' stay in the cabins there. Probably wasn't as romantic as yours with 2 grown children, their spouses, and 4 grandkids running about, and the heat was brutal (105 degrees the second day), but they seemed to enjoy it.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,282 times
Default Need Info on Fairyland "Courts" as opposed to Fairyland Hotel

Found this thread on a internet search.... I'm assisting the family (kids in the 60's) of the Fairyland "Courts" to learn of opportunities for the property. The vacant Courts are still there a few blocks north of the Fairyland Estates Hotel or B&B. This is still a beautiful location just in need of some redevelopment. The original structures are still there....I would welcome any recollections or photos..... The description below is right on....

georgiacaver @ gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
Maybe not . . . .

Fairyland Courts? ([url]http://tinyurl.com/2zvpu4[/url] - broken link)

Hard to tell from the aerial, but it seems to match the layout and overall look of the photo. It's approximately 7 blocks west of Rock City, and is only a couple of hundred feet from the intersection of Pied Piper Rd and Lula Lake Rd. (i.e., the Fairyland neighborhood). There apparently is no longer a Georgia Highway 210 -- I suspect it either used to be what's now Lula Lake Rd, or was redesignated GA 157, which intersects Lula Lake Rd a couple hundred feet south of this location (and which the parking area for Rock City is on).

Of course, there's no guarantee that it hasn't been demolished since the picture was taken -- the aerials on Google Maps for my neighborhood still show an old house nearby that's been demolished for a year and half. And it might not be the right place. But it looks like a good candidate based on the info provided.

The old Fairyland Fire House and Police Station has been recently converted into a Starbucks, however.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:01 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
I have a vague memory from my early childhood of seeing a wonderful motel with two large concrete mushrooms in front, below which were villages of tiny, colorful fairy houses, lit by twinkle lights (or the early 1950s equivalent of twinkle lights). I also seem to recall an older couple, very pleasant, who were the managers. I remember it as the Fairyland Motel, but I could be mistaken about the name. The one-story motel units sat back in a broad U from the mushrooms, with a grassy lawn in between, as I recall.

It would have been somewhere in the southeast, a day's drive or more from my central Kentucky home. I do not recall it being on top of a mountain, however, although it was not located in a city, but apparently on the edge of town or at least in a somewhat green, open area.

Sadly for me, my parents chose not to stay there, evidently because of the cost, but they did allow me to get out of the car and look at the little "fairylands". I remember I didn't get to pore over them as long as I would have liked, no doubt because my parents were anxious to find somewhere to stay overnight. Wish it could have been there...

I first visited Rock City Gardens at age five, again at seven - then not until I retired several years ago, and the magic was still there. But I have never been able to learn anything about that wonderful motel with the concrete mushrooms... which I may have seen just the evening before one of my two early trips to Rock City. I expect I was closer to five years old than seven, or my memories would be a little better in regard to location.

Could it have been the Fairyland Courts?? I have looked for pictures online, but have never found those magical mushrooms again (no, not THAT kind of magic mushrooms).

Information welcome. C-D really ought to have a thread for lost childhood places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga