Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times

Advertisements

Took my car down to Speed Productions in Jackson Mississippi to get a dyno run on it, I had been wanting to do this for awhile and when the chance came for 3 dyno runs for $50 I couldn't pass it up, so I brought my car down and had them run it.

My car is an A4 with 2.73's, mods are SLP LM1 cat-back, SLP lid, and Ported & Polished throttle body, nothing else.

The car put up some surprising numbers:

325.55 RWHP
347.43 RWTQ

Temperature in the garage was 99 degrees, humidity was 31%.

With an 18% drive train loss, which I think is standard for the 4 speed automatics, the car should be making 384.19 horsepower to the crank. Did a cat-back, lid, and TB really help to add 34HP to the car? Or was it a little bit higher than 350 to begin with do you think? People were impressed and thought it had to have heads or headers to be making those numbers.

2001 Camaro Z28 on the Dyno - YouTube

Also, I apologize, but since I uploaded the video to YouTube it seems to be very quiet, you will probably have to turn up your volume to be able to hear it. Let me know what you guys think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 07:36 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
your car is not a freak of any type. The LS1 was producing about 290-300 HP on the dyno's stock back in 98-02. You're right where I'd expect...I wouldn't really use the 18% loss value, the more modern 4L60E's weren't terrible pigs on the dyno. And the engines were underrated from the factory anyway, making similar power to their identical corvette powerplants.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
your car is not a freak of any type. The LS1 was producing about 290-300 HP on the dyno's stock back in 98-02. You're right where I'd expect...I wouldn't really use the 18% loss value, the more modern 4L60E's weren't terrible pigs on the dyno. And the engines were underrated from the factory anyway, making similar power to their identical corvette powerplants.
Most people say it's an 18% loss on the autos, what value would you use?

I know the car actually produced 350HP to the crank in stock form, but 325WHP is still way over 350 crank HP. When they dyno'd the '98 models stock they only made about 290WHP, I have a few really basic bolt on's. Some guys with headers and tune are making the same as what I'm making.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
This.

I really wish the whole "% power loss" would go away. Drivetrain loss can not be measured as a percentage... it is a static figure, more or less. Think about it, you have a stock car making 300hp. It puts down 240hp to the wheels, for a 20% drivetrain loss. Ok, fine. Now double the horsepower to 600, and suddenly the drivetrain is now losing 120hp? The drivetrain didn't change. Only the engine output did. The drivetrain didn't suddenly become less efficient at putting the power down, or gain weight.

Drivetrain losses are basically a set number, that fluctuates a bit from friction in the transmission by about 10-20hp.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Another point that wasn't mentioned is a dyno is totally worthless without a baseline dyno. You have an idea as to what this dyno is now producing, but if you wanted to remove any question, you'd have to see your car (stock) on the dyno....then you could compare the figures stock vs modified, which would answer your question...the only other option is to find a similar 98-02 f-body with the same transmission and rear axle ratio as you, and have that car dyno'd as well. It wouldn't be perfect, but might get you a better idea...some dyno's are considerably more "liberal" in their results than others...

Old 05-19-2013, 08:33 AM

556 posts, read 1,227,822 times
STD correction. Have them put the run file into SAE and your numbers will drop in line. SAE is the accepted standard. Also having the mph as the X axis shows different numbers then having RPM. That shops WINPEP7 settings are all whacked out.

Shops that want to show people higher numbers give printouts in STD.

Here's my 05 GTO in STD

And the exact same pull in SAE

Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
This.

I really wish the whole "% power loss" would go away. Drivetrain loss can not be measured as a percentage... it is a static figure, more or less. Think about it, you have a stock car making 300hp. It puts down 240hp to the wheels, for a 20% drivetrain loss. Ok, fine. Now double the horsepower to 600, and suddenly the drivetrain is now losing 120hp? The drivetrain didn't change. Only the engine output did. The drivetrain didn't suddenly become less efficient at putting the power down, or gain weight.

Drivetrain losses are basically a set number, that fluctuates a bit from friction in the transmission by about 10-20hp.
Drivetrain loss is parasitic, the more power you make the more you will lose, it's not a set number. Look at the ZR1, makes 638 HP and puts maybe 530 down to the wheels, a stock LS1 makes 350HP and puts 300 down to the wheels. Over a 100HP difference in crank to wheels for the ZR1 and only a 50HP difference in crank to the wheels for an LS1.

Don't believe me? Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJyDDZDugrU

Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
It's not a factory freak. You're just looking at a high reading dyno.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:34 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Drivetrain loss is parasitic, the more power you make the more you will lose, it's not a set number. Look at the ZR1, makes 638 HP and puts maybe 530 down to the wheels, a stock LS1 makes 350HP and puts 300 down to the wheels. Over a 100HP difference in crank to wheels for the ZR1 and only a 50HP difference in crank to the wheels for an LS1.

Don't believe me? Here you go.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 DYNO Run - YouTube
You are incorrect. I did not say it was a set number, it's a range centered around a set number. That range is dependent upon the tires, wheels, drivetrain weight, reciprocal mass, and friction in the transmission and gears.

Your example is flawed. You're comparing a stock LS1 vs a ZR1 which has different heads, exhaust, and supercharger, which is making the drivetrain losses completely different. The drivetrain losses for any sc'd car will be higher than an NA car.

Stick with the SAME car and start with stock and then mod it. You'll learn quickly that drivetrain loss is NOT a simple percentage.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
As a certified Dynojet dyno operator, I should mention that it's pretty easy to "fudge" numbers once you get the hang of it (by imputing temp, humidity and altitude incorrectly/inaccurately). A lot of dyno operators do this on purpose by a little bit, Especially when they're running the dyno after performing an "upgrade" of some sort (I know, not exactly moral ethics, but it's rampant). Every "freak" engine I've seen and retested turned out to be perfectly normal.

There's ALSO a difference with the different Brands of dynos.

Dynos are good for two things (when you have a trustworthy operator), that's to identify gains or losses from changes made when you have a before/after and to help work on jetting (for carbbed engines) through the RPM band, under load (though only when combined with an EGA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC