Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,703,540 times

Advertisements

Have been searching for a larger older car. I may consider something a little smaller. Is this a good car? Looking at 2003-2005. Is this 3.8 supercharged engine reliable? Any thoughts on this car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
It can be a very good car, overall, but remember the 3.8l supercharged requires premium gas; however, the normally aspirated version in the regular Park Avenue can run on 87 octane. As with the 3.8l engines of this vintage, the Achilles heel is the intake manifold gaskets, upper and lower, that were prone to failure. Other than that, I don't recall anything major with the Park Avenues, and the intake manifold gasket problem did not hit every vehicle as I know someone who has an '04-'05 vintage model with lower mileage (kept in Manhattan) and it has not had the problem.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
It can be a very good car, overall, but remember the 3.8l supercharged requires premium gas; however, the normally aspirated version in the regular Park Avenue can run on 87 octane. As with the 3.8l engines of this vintage, the Achilles heel is the intake manifold gaskets, upper and lower, that were prone to failure. Other than that, I don't recall anything major with the Park Avenues, and the intake manifold gasket problem did not hit every vehicle as I know someone who has an '04-'05 vintage model with lower mileage (kept in Manhattan) and it has not had the problem.
Do you think the non Ultra engine would have fewer issues? I am not that interested in the additional power, but think the Ultra looks much more sporty. I am ok putting premium in it, and would choose it if it is not a mechanical nightmare.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
The 3800 is one of the best engines ever made. Sc or not. Considering the people who generally own this type of car - the chances of finding a low mileage, garage kept cream puff is much higher then on most other vehicles. If I wanted one I would get one, no hesitation.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 AM

The only issue is the intake manifold gaskets, and that does apply to the supercharged version as well. I, too, have no issues putting premium in the car if the manufacturer specs it. The Park Avenue was an excellent vehicle and does what it was designed to do consistently and reliably, such that even knowing the intake manifold gasket could be an issue, I'd not hesitate to recommend it as a buy, and would definitely fix the intake manifold gasket issue should the need arise. Definitely consider a purchase of one, and you may find one with replaced intake manifold gaskets as well, which I believe solved the problem, as I have not heard of the problem recurring among people I know with the 3.8l engine. I had the same engine in a supercharged Bonneville, and that was the only flaw. Had I not known someone who needed a car desperately, I would have kept it as I used to use it to park at the airport when I didn't want to leave another car there. Dead of winter, snow, that car always started and ran well, and still does for the person who now owns it.

City-Data FAQs

Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The only issue is the intake manifold gaskets, and that does apply to the supercharged version as well. I, too, have no issues putting premium in the car if the manufacturer specs it. The Park Avenue was an excellent vehicle and does what it was designed to do consistently and reliably, such that even knowing the intake manifold gasket could be an issue, I'd not hesitate to recommend it as a buy, and would definitely fix the intake manifold gasket issue should the need arise. Definitely consider a purchase of one, and you may find one with replaced intake manifold gaskets as well, which I believe solved the problem, as I have not heard of the problem recurring among people I know with the 3.8l engine. I had the same engine in a supercharged Bonneville, and that was the only flaw. Had I not known someone who needed a car desperately, I would have kept it as I used to use it to park at the airport when I didn't want to leave another car there. Dead of winter, snow, that car always started and ran well, and still does for the person who now owns it.
Thank you. Could I assume parts for the intake manifold are still avaialble?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 AM

Yes, it should not be a problem to find the parts at all, because of the number of 3.8 engines produced and GM brands that used the engine.

City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC