Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:24 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,565,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
LOL thats pathetic. Just buy a cheaper hybrid or a $6000 cheaper Cruze eco if you really must suffer with a GM product.

Cruze diesel $25,695 27/46 mpg

Prius liftback $23,215 51/48 mpg

Jetta TDI $22,990 30/42 mpg

Cruze ECO $19,680 28/42 mpg

Prius C $19,080 53/46 mpg

You would have to be grade A moron to buy the diesel cruze.

Last edited by evergraystate; 04-19-2013 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,792,031 times
Quote:
LOL thats pathetic. Just buy a cheaper hybrid or a $6000 cheaper Cruze eco if you really must suffer with a GM product.
You would have to be grade A moron to buy the diesel cruze.
Perhaps you failed to read a previous response explaining how with diesels, the MPG ratings come from brand-new engines. Diesel engines function by combusting diesel fuel with very high compression. With a new engine, the piston rings and the cylinder walls, having not fully broken in will not have as high of a compression rating as an engine that has had more time to break in and hence deliver a higher combustion rating and thus burn fuel more efficiently, which is precisely why diesel engines will almost always get a higher eventual MPG than what the initial ratings are. Thus the actual MPG of the Chevy Cruze Diesel will probably be far higher than that stated.

Lastly, I own a Prius myself and it has never gotten anything close to what was claimed. It seriously gets maybe 44-45 MPG at the very best in the summer, and 42-43 in the winter.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,502,849 times
27 mpg in city is absolutely pathetic rating for a diesel. That would bring the combined to about 35mpg. Certainly not enough over the eco from a financial standpoint considering fuel on nationally averaging between 40-50 cents more per gallon and the added maintance cost of todays diesels. We only hold on to our jetta tdi since it is "old school" and has none of the expensive added emmisions equipment to maintain and still gets 50+mpg, since its driven 95% highway, but even its maintance costs absolutely sucks compared to our other gassers that get an average 26-29 mpg mixed.

And low to mid 40s in a prius isnt so bad. Others do show its completely possible, myself included, that its not impossible to get a good deal over rated average. You certainly could do better though. Just takes some technique and patience. If you put an actual stopwatch to it like I do when I try different commuting routes youd see how little you lose in time, but gain in efficiency if you just slow down a lil bit, during acceleration especially.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,565,994 times
Quote:
Ok, We Were Wrong: Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Actually Takes 18 Years To Break Even*

Now that Chevrolet has revised their EPA mileage estimate for the Chevrolet Cruze Diesel, from 42 mpg to 46 mpg, we need to revise our own estimates.

Initially, we called for a break-even period of 115 years, based on TrueCar’s formula for calculating the break-even period on fuel economy packages. For argument’s sake, we used TrueCar’s formula of driving 15,000 miles per year, though we used Chicago, IL as our sample for gas and diesel prices. The lowest prices found on GasBuddy at the time of the original article was $3.50 for regular and $3.80 for diesel respectively. For consistency’s sake, we’ll stick with that, though obviously the break-even point will change along with fuel price fluctuations.

I decided to only use the highway figures for a similarly equipped gasoline 2LT . As the calculations show, the Cruze diesel does use a smaller quantity of fuel annually, but that’s offset by the price premium one is required to pay for diesel. Using the initial 42 mpg highway rating yielded a mere $22 in annual fuel savings and a $2,550 price gap. At that rate, it would take over a century -roughly 115 years – for a potential owner to “break even” on the Cruze diesel. But with the 46 mpg rating, the fuel savings grows to $142 annually. This shortens the break-even time to about 18 years
Ok, We Were Wrong: Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Actually Takes 18 Years To Break Even* | The Truth About Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Lastly, I own a Prius myself and it has never gotten anything close to what was claimed.
Maybe the problem is the nut behind the wheel.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/prius/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
27 mpg in city is absolutely pathetic rating for a diesel.
I agee, its actually 1mpg worse than the $6000 cheaper cruze eco which burns cheaper regular unleaded. What was GM thinking bringing this diesel to the US? Its like they wanted it to fail. Maybe that was part of their plan all along. In a couple of years after these cars languish on dealer lots with cash on the hood GM can point to it and say "see, Americans don't want diesels. We're canceling it and never bringing one to the US market again. Case closed."

Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I agee, its actually 1mpg worse than the $6000 cheaper cruze eco which burns cheaper regular unleaded. What was GM thinking bringing this diesel to the US? Its like they wanted it to fail. Maybe that was part of their plan all along. In a couple of years after these cars languish on dealer lots with cash on the hood GM can point to it and say "see, Americans don't want diesels. We're canceling it and never bringing one to the US market again. Case closed."
I can argue just as long as you want to. Its easy seeing as how you so far haven't been able to come up with a single valid point.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I can argue just as long as you want to. Its easy seeing as how you so far haven't been able to come up with a single valid point.

Id dont know.. seems the point shown by the article and the raw epa numbers and high costs of modern US diesel emmisions maintance and how it relates to the fact that from a fiancial standpoint that the diesel Cruze is a loser compared to its own petrol brother has been shown to be an awfully valid point. The Cruze diesel 4door will most likely be a sales loser. Time will tell for sure, now wont it. But if/when that happens that will enforce the reasoning for not bringing the wagon along as well.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Id dont know.. seems the point shown by the article and the raw epa numbers and high costs of modern US diesel emmisions maintance and how it relates to the fact that from a fiancial standpoint that the diesel Cruze is a loser compared to its own petrol brother has been shown to be an awfully valid point. The Cruze diesel 4door will most likely be a sales loser. Time will tell for sure, now wont it. But if/when that happens that will enforce the reasoning for not bringing the wagon along as well

The same BS articles were out in abundance when the prius came out too. In fact, I can't think of one single hybrid, electric car, or apparently now a diesel car that has come out in the US that HASN'T had the same damned article written about it. Now I will repeat this one more time and perhaps hopefully it will be understood:

New diesel engines need a break in period before they attain their full MPG potential. The mode of testing for getting an MPG rating is when those engines are new, and thus why its almost a given that pretty much anyone who owns a diesel will tell you that their car's initial MPG rating was far lower than what they ultimately got once the engine had say- 5,000-10,000 miles of usage. My mother in law's VW TDI was presented at a 29MPG city, 33MPG highway. After the engine broke in, it ROUTINELY gets 50-52 MPG freeway and close to 40 in town. That's a huge delta.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,588,969 times
This very page shows why we don't get diesels or wagons. Most Americans are ignorant.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:

The same BS articles were out in abundance when the prius came out too. In fact, I can't think of one single hybrid, electric car, or apparently now a diesel car that has come out in the US that HASN'T had the same damned article written about it. Now I will repeat this one more time and perhaps hopefully it will be understood:

New diesel engines need a break in period before they attain their full MPG potential. The mode of testing for getting an MPG rating is when those engines are new, and thus why its almost a given that pretty much anyone who owns a diesel will tell you that their car's initial MPG rating was far lower than what they ultimately got once the engine had say- 5,000-10,000 miles of usage. My mother in law's VW TDI was presented at a 29MPG city, 33MPG highway. After the engine broke in, it ROUTINELY gets 50-52 MPG freeway and close to 40 in town. That's a huge delta.
Except almost none of those articles usually actually compare apples to apples.. like a camry xle hybrid vs a camry xle gas since they are usually done with an aenda instead of being more objective. If Im not mistaken the above article actually compares the ECO petrol Cruze vs the diesel Cruze. No???.. and again you must also take into accountthe additional cost of NEW diesel emmisions which IS VERY signifigant.
Btw what year /model is MIL's TDI??

Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Did you read what I posted above? If not, please do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC