Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 24,713 times

Advertisements

We have a 2008 Chevy Suburban with 50000 miles on it. For the past year we keep getting misfire codes and replacing spark plugs, never the same one, which cures the problem for about 1000-2000 miles and then the car intermittently runs rough, maybe throws and engine light, sometimes not and then at the next service we replace another spark plug and then it all begins again. From the minute it runs rough it will run rough one day, maybe for 2 days and then may be fine for a week. It really is baffling our current garage. The garage we had it to prior to the new one said it was caused by our aftermarket stereo, which from advice of others we have determined this is not possible. Any suggestions or cures would be very helpful as we are about to give up on this car and we can't really afford to do so let alone pay to fix the problem if it is a big one. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 12:45 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Are you taking it to the dealer or a local indy mechanic? You're still under the GM 5 yr / 100k mile powertrain warranty. I would take it to them and let them test it out.

You say the spark plugs are going bad. How are they being fouled? Are they wet, indicating there isn't complete combustion?

The first thing I would say is spark plugs aren't your issue. There are several other things to look at from the coil packs to the wires to the PCM itself. The best bet is really to take it to a Chevy dealer. The only way the aftermarket stereo could affect it is if they did a real hack job on your wiring harness, but I don't know any shop that's that stupid.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 14,611 times
The same thing happened with my 2008 suburban and the plugs was replaced by the dealer. They also found out a leak on the valve cover. I am not a mechanic but maybe one affected the other? I would probably try higher heat resistant plugs such as iridium core or something.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 40,874 times
I have a 2008 suburban and have replaced plugs and wires 4 times already. Now my engine makes a loud a knocking noise and rides and idles very rough. I took it to dealership service and now they tell me the #1 was fouled and the engine needs to be replaced or rebuilt now. I have no warranty I have 156,000 miles on it and am sick to my stomach because I do not have this kind of money right now.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 AM

Angry GM chevrolet will not give any help

Well I spoke to the lady at GM she was getting with dealership to research about my suburban. She said with just this last time there is not anything she can do to assist me in having to replace my engine. I asked her what information it is that she is needing? I was then told that this being an internal problem and record of this happening this one time about spark plugs she can not assist. I told her that there is a history with the GM service department about this issue and she said the service department only gave her the recent visit. I was told by my service department which I am on a first name basis with that they are sending the complete history over. I am thinking that I have seen enough issues about the spark plugs and oil compression that maybe it is time to talk to an attorney about a class action lawsuit. Now I have to figure out what am I gonna due with my $60,000.00 vehicle that I am not going to get anything for. There is no way that I can sell this to anyone knowing what needs to be replaced. I am not going to be like GM and let a nother person be a victim because of the knowing there is a problem and lets just put a bandaid on it. This whole time I have been taking my car in for these issues and all the service department did was put a bandaid over it with replacing a spark plug here and there then oh lets do all wires and plugs to oh its just one plug now. I have spent a lot of money out of pocket on this issue to get told we cannot assist you. I have been loyal to GM all around and now that this has happened its time to explore other options. Sad thing is my step grandfather retired from GM and so did my Aunt I guess I will be the one to have to leave the GM family because GM does not care what happens to a vehicle after 100,000 miles. Remind you these issues started at about 60,000 miles.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:02 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times
It's a 5 year old car with over 150k miles. Sh*t happens. Did you buy the car new? If you really are the original owner and could afford the $60k car, then I would think spending $5k for a rebuilt engine shouldn't be something to lose sleep over. Just think you'll get another 150k miles out of it.

This is why you should always dump a car at around 100k miles before you are the one stuck with the repair bills, which is going to happen no matter what you drive. Live and learn.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:50 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
It's a 5 year old car with over 150k miles. Sh*t happens. Did you buy the car new? If you really are the original owner and could afford the $60k car, then I would think spending $5k for a rebuilt engine shouldn't be something to lose sleep over. Just think you'll get another 150k miles out of it.

This is why you should always dump a car at around 100k miles before you are the one stuck with the repair bills, which is going to happen no matter what you drive. Live and learn.
This is totally ignorant!

1. New Suburbans can be had for under 40K
2. Things change in 5 years, maybe in 2008 the poster was rolling in money and not so much anymore
3. Dumping a car with 100K miles is irrelevant. Poster put 50K more miles on that car (50% more) than you recommended. My last high mileage GMC went 170K miles before I traded it.....with no major failures (water pump, wheel bearing).

Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 PM

I am original owner. I am wanting a 2014 and to dump the car for trade in to put a new engine in it I will be upside down. I am not the only 2008 suburban owner that has had these problems. I relied on my service department to take care of me and instead they just put a bandaid over it til I was over my 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. These issues started around 60,000 miles. We have a dodge one ton with 300,000 miles and we just replaced the engine. My suburban has been maintained and it should have lasted longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC