Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Well when I first got the car I was not aware of any dyno shops in the area, and I wasn't all that interested in them. I don't know exactly what my car would dyno stock but I have a ballpark estimate that on a dyno jet it would make 310WHP in stock form. On a Mustang dyno it would probably make 290ishWHP.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say my dyno sheet is a value of 1 vs any hp number?

FYI, to everyone else weighing in after this post I've learned that my car is indeed no "factory freak", as a dyno jet often offers inflated numbers since it does not calculate in all the added variables that the more accurate Mustang dyno does.

The same day I was at that dyno I watched a 2013 Honda Accord V6, all stock put down 256WHP...the car is rated at 278HP. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the numbers on that dyno were inflated.
You, or anyone intersted in understanding more about dynos, should read this article; Is Your Dyno Lying? - Feature - Car and Driver

Its a great summation of why dynos are largely misused and misunderstood by the public. When dyno shops offer "pull days" its basically just a way to make some quick money. The real use of a dyno is to measure before and after power changes when tuning a car, not provide a realistic number of what power the car is actually making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
I'd say that one dyno isn't more accurate over another. The Mustang dyno is known as the heart breaker because it generally produces lower numbers compared to other dynos but that really tells you nothing about its accuracy. As stated by others, if you are using dyno figures to infer actual power output or to compare yourself to other vehicles then you are doing it wrong.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
You, or anyone intersted in understanding more about dynos, should read this article; Is Your Dyno Lying? - Feature - Car and Driver

Its a great summation of why dynos are largely misused and misunderstood by the public. When dyno shops offer "pull days" its basically just a way to make some quick money. The real use of a dyno is to measure before and after power changes when tuning a car, not provide a realistic number of what power the car is actually making.
Great article, really helped me understand that a car's dyno numbers have a HUGE range with thousands of factors, especially on modern cars. My car is 12 years old, and while it has an OBD, I'm not sure how much that computer factors in expected cooling winds and such. However, this definitely brings down the hype that most people get over dyno numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC