Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about getting a Full Size Truck. Right now I drive a minivan (Honda Odyssey). I am scared about parking a truck and the gas mileage. Would likely get a 4wd Crew Cab Silverado or Sierra. So, I looked at the Government Fuel Economy web site and the gas mileage is basically the same for my van and the new Silverado/Sierra. Could this be right? Am I missing something? I have a 30 minute commute to work. Probably about 10 miles half of which is "highway" but certainly not interstate.

Dimensionally, it seems as if the Crew Cab with the Short box is about 2.5 feet longer than a minivan. So, how about parking a truck is it brutal compared with a minivan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I've got an old-school club cab pickup with the long bed which is longer than the newer crew cabs with the short bed. Parking one of these beasts is just something you have to get used to. There will be places you simplly won't be able to park it, but otherwise I don't consider it "brutal" once you're accustomed to it.

I realize that newer full-size 4x4 trucks get better mileage than they used to due to improved technology, but I'd have a hard time believing that one would get anywhere near the mileage of a Odyssey.

Last edited by duster1979; 05-01-2014 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-01-2014, 09:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I think you'll find that a 4WD truck will lose 1-2 MPG vs. 2WD. But most 1/2 ton trucks suffer in the city, not so much on the highway. That's what 5500 lbs does.

The turning radius on 4WD is usually a bit worse than 2WD. Only way to know for sure if parking is hard for you is to drive it. Some people like to back in their trucks for parking.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:51 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I have been thinking about getting a Full Size Truck. Right now I drive a minivan (Honda Odyssey). I am scared about parking a truck and the gas mileage. Would likely get a 4wd Crew Cab Silverado or Sierra. So, I looked at the Government Fuel Economy web site and the gas mileage is basically the same for my van and the new Silverado/Sierra. Could this be right? Am I missing something? I have a 30 minute commute to work. Probably about 10 miles half of which is "highway" but certainly not interstate.

Dimensionally, it seems as if the Crew Cab with the Short box is about 2.5 feet longer than a minivan. So, how about parking a truck is it brutal compared with a minivan?
I drive an extended cab short box 4WD pickup for my work and have for way over a decade. Take my word for it, they are a pain in the butt to park. (I've been driving 4WD pickups in my work for over 4 decades.) Driving a pickup for a daily commute makes no sense, either, unless your work requires it.

I don't care what make it is, either, in town driving with a V8 pickup is an absolute killer for fuel economy. All stop and go driving can drop it into single digits. Like it or not, "good fuel economy" and "pickup" are mutually exclusive terms.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:20 AM

861 posts, read 1,335,242 times
I used to own a Dodge Ram and it got 17 mpg... and it was just a V6.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I used to own a Dodge Ram and it got 17 mpg... and it was just a V6.
Which is what my van gets!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:51 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Well, as someone that has both a GMC crew-cab 4WD truck as well as a Honda Odyssey, I feel I can participate in this thread.

The mileage is close but the Odyssey probably gets 2 or 3 MPG's better in the type of commute you have. Actually, I'd say it gets 2-3 MPG's better across the board (all driving types) and closer to 4 on the highway (but that's comparing both vehicles at 70 MPH+).

Parking the Odyssey is a lot easier. It's narrower and has a better turning radius. Basically, it's about the same as a sedan but a foot longer. The truck... is a truck. It's longer, wider and can't turn as sharp. Generally speaking, I don't even bother trying to get into a lot of spaces and just park with the other trucks at the open end of the parking lot.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:44 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
I'd suggest you go and rent one for a few day's

Old 05-02-2014, 04:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Some trucks today have cylinder deactivation feature.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
If you are looking at a 1/2-ton PU truck fuel economy should be lower down your list then Trucks Capability, Passenger Room/Comfort and Tow/Haul ratings as well as Reliability/Durability when be used hard and then fuel economy factors in after it meets those criteria IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC