Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 09:50 AM

474 posts, read 2,539,756 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends:

My sincere apologies to your for being so negative. However, I am sincerely trying to help and even encourage people, if I can.
This morning, I drove into downtown Wheaton, IL to pay my property tax bill. That was about 10:00 or 10:30 CDST. Frankly, what i saw was somewhat frigtening. There were peopled driving everywhere - - in and out of downtown Wheaton. Men & women, in particular, who should have been at their employment. I also observed men with their children riding bicycles. Men mowing their yards. Perhaps well - to - do people sitting on the veranda at Starbucks.
Does one assume that EVERYBODY is on vacation right now? That is unlikely.
So this is my word of sincere encouragement to you. If you have any kind of job that is putting food on your table - - regardless whether you like the job or not - - the count your blessings and stay put.
On the business forum, one recently stated that this was the start of our economic melt down. Who knows for sure, but our scenery in the United States is starting to look like John Steinbeck's, "The Grapes of Wrath". Last night, I watched that 1940 edition DVD of "The Grapes of Wrath" starring Henry Fonda. It is a very sobering movie.
So once again, my sincere apologies. However, my goals are always admirable in trying to help people.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 10:04 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
I don't know, given the socioeconomic satus of Wheaton, my first thought would be that these are stay-at-home moms (and dads) or telecommuters/consultants/self-employed or the idle rich. If and when the economic meltdown occurs, the upper class of DuPage county will probably be the last to be affected.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:10 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,357,366 times
Ditto. Lots of people take vacations this time of year. And many more people do the work from home thing too... which involves an hour or two "running errands".

Old 08-17-2007, 11:27 AM

474 posts, read 2,539,756 times
Default Hello Gardener

Well, perhaps I need this is a post script. I should have said that the situation that I have notice is a 'change' from a former time. I have lived in Wheaton for 41 years, and have never seen this before.
When people everyone ask questions on these forums, they are actually looking for short cuts. To get an opinion so that they don't have to waste time with an actual visit.
So with that said, then I invent people to personally visit the Chicago land suburbs. Decide for themselves if something is worth their investments. One can not become more accurate than that.
The problem with many places is that everyone including me (at one time) wanted an excellent job with excellent remuneration. A nice community to live in with a nice home and land that didn't cost too much. Also a low crime community and good schools. With Wheaton and many other areas, if a person is that fortunate, then they stay there for a lifetime and succeeding college graduates no longer have a place for assimulation. That is what Wheaton is expreincing - - at least, that is what I believe that observe here. Measure your own parameters in your own communitices before you assume that the grass is greener in the Chicago area.

Best Regards,

Carter Glasss

Old 03-09-2008, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 18,798 times
I'm confused at your concern over the amount of men and women driving around downtown wheaton. Regardless of whether or not the summer months are typical vacation time...downtown Wheaton, as i assume you know, has become much busier and and active over the past few years. As this downtown area continues to develop itself, more and more people have reason to visit.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
Plus this isn't 40 years ago, people today have much different workdays, odd hours, working from home, etc.

I was layed off this summer, and I have to admit I was AMAZED at how many people were out and about on a random wednesday afternoon. It suddenly made me realize I really need to look outside the 9-5 workday box. I would love to work odd days/hours, be able to relax at least one or two weekdays without having to be at work.

As other people said, Wheaton is also much larger, and has a larger downtown. More people.....more crowds...

Old 03-09-2008, 07:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
i love grapes of wrath too but people now not working conventional jobs.
i see lots of people mid day shopping and so forth. we dont all go to the factory
at 630am anymore. its a different ballgame. of course they dont get the medical benefits
and retirement anymore either so grapes of wrath may be comin up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs