Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2021, 11:33 AM

28 posts, read 33,924 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We‘re considering buying a house and were wondering what the insulation requirements have been in 1990 particularly. Same goes for the mid 80s/90s.

Does anyone know where I find the building codes and how I can figure out if the home has got insulated appropriately? I‘m a little bit worried about buying homes that age in terms of energy costs for heating / cooling. We do live in a home from 1992 and are curious if there are big differences compared to 1990 or even older one‘s from the 80s.

Does anyone know what have been used and if you can suggest to buy such older homes?
Thank you!

Any other things we should pay attention to? Roof, AC, Furnace is new
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 03:48 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,742,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xycrazy View Post
Hi there,

We‘re considering buying a house and were wondering what the insulation requirements have been in 1990 particularly. Same goes for the mid 80s/90s.

Does anyone know where I find the building codes and how I can figure out if the home has got insulated appropriately? I‘m a little bit worried about buying homes that age in terms of energy costs for heating / cooling. We do live in a home from 1992 and are curious if there are big differences compared to 1990 or even older one‘s from the 80s.

Does anyone know what have been used and if you can suggest to buy such older homes?
Thank you!

Any other things we should pay attention to? Roof, AC, Furnace is new

I remember looking at new homes in another state in 2000. They really were cutting corners and there was that Chinese drywall scare. Seemed not so good quality.

Ended up buying a 1980s home.
Compared to other homes I had owned, I preferred the ones that were not brand new, but less than 10 years old. The two new homes I bought required lots of $ for landscaping, fencing, window coverings, etc.

The furnace, roof and AC needed to be replaced on the 1980s house a short time after moving in. Check the age of the roof, and have the inspector look in the attic to be sure it's supported correctly.

You might like these to read:
Old vs. New Construction - Myths & Facts
https://energytoday.biz/blog/4-outda...g-in-your-home
https://www2.illinois.gov/cdb/busine...gulations.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs