Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:12 AM

31 posts, read 175,714 times

Advertisements

I have to make the dreaded trip of driving 4 days -- no sight seeing (with pets) to California from Chicago area. Mapquest goes through I 70 Rocky Mts. Alternative way which would be a bit longer would take me south to I40. Both are scary or a pain to me. Mountains due to taxing the car and queasiness with pets and I 40 seems flatter and simpler but the desert heat if something happens, or car overheats?
Are there moutain passes at all going that way - it seems there's an incline.

I have a Honda Fit -- small car, but a few years old with 30, 000 miles. However I would be driving or in the car 10 hrs. a day.

Also, don't know which routes are the cleanest easiest drives. Small car also means need to fuel up regularly.

Any experience on this one would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 01:11 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
a car with 30,000 miles? You'll be perfectly fine driving from Cali to Chicago. It's probably good for the car to get out and go on a long fast drive - blow out some of the cobs.

I'd probably go on the shortest route. I-70 is probably the prettiest. The grades aren't THAT severe on the interstate through the mountains. They have to design it for huge semi's pulling massive loads, and also needing to break without over-doing it.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:19 PM

It's driving from Chicago to Cali.
Actually the car drove from the east coast to the west, car accident drove to Il only to go back again. The issue is pets in the car -- like kids and the car is small.

The concerns are 1) cell service 2) stretches where there are no exits or gas stations 3) mountains == how windy are the windy roads, inclines and road bumps etc. Pets, like children get nauseus and it's more the lenght. I have never driven these roads I 40 or I 70. Is driving through the mountains from Chicago to Cali on I 70 a few hours of driving through them? Seems so.

Likewise with I 40 -- in the summer 8-10 hours of straight driving in a little car in the desert and ac blowing can a car get overheated and I've never been I 40 so how long are stretches in between safe civilization?

Also don't know how much of I 70 runs through actual desert with service stops.

If anyone has any personal experience with these roads trekking that far please let me know.

Thanks Chicago60614 for making me feel better about my car.
Only it did get in an accident and the back tire for some reason always reads low though allegedly it's fine.

I 70 did seem to indicate it was shorter but only by an hour -- however I really don't know bc I've never actually done the drive. With pets there are lots of stopping points anyway so it always takes longer.

I now know why RV's are so popular.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Should also note I am inclined to do the mountain nebraska to utah nevada route I 70 but was told to do I 40 bc it would be easier. But I don't know if that is true.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:54 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbet10 View Post
Should also note I am inclined to do the mountain nebraska to utah nevada route I 70 but was told to do I 40 bc it would be easier. But I don't know if that is true.
This is true, but more so in winter. After knowing someone that got stranded in the snow, I'll advise anyone driving Chicago to Cali in winter to follow the interstates that coincide with the old route 66 (55,44,40,15). However, in summer, there won't be ice on the road, most likely not even on the high parts of I-70 just west of Denver.

As far as your concerns...

Cell service- you will encounter portions of road without reliable cell service no matter which route you take. CO, NM, AZ, UT, NV, TX, OK, NE all have some real desolate areas.

Stretches with no roads or gas stations- this also would seem to apply equally to both routes, but given that it is an interstate, you will probably see a lot of signs before one such stretch comes up.

Mountains- this will probably be a bit worse of the northern route, especially I-70 just west of Denver

Heat will most likely be worse on the southern route, especially in areas of TX, NM, AZ that are lower in elevation. However, the final stretch of road from Vegas (or Kingman, AZ) to LA will be hot and dry no matter which route you take.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks, Sjaye, which is what I thought which leaves e with the perplexity of which choice.
Technically I 70 is a little less time -- but in reality construction, through mountain range etc. don't know how true that is either.

I guess the cell service and the lack of service stops/desolation are the real key points for me. The more cell service and the more service stations or towns with service stations on either route -- the better, and that's what I would choose.

The desert heat in the summer of driving so much also worries me simply bc of a breakdown. Seems like it would be easier to break down in the mountains -- weather wise, esp. in the summer.
But as you said, last stretch will be the same regardless.

I wonder if I 40 is relatively straight or flat the entire way??

Old 07-07-2010, 04:21 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
You've two thread s for this??

Anyhow...I40 is much much less mountainous. Any reasonably recent vintage Honda will not struggle at all in the heat and frankly the elevation is much harder to deal with. I40 is the way to go unless you absolutely want the shortest route and don't mind the traffic that is heavier through the more traveled route of I70.

If you have to make a stop every couple of hours that is no problem along the interstate as there are plenty of truck stops on either route.

I prefer the desolate type areas of NM and west Texas to the agricultural stretches of the great plains ...

Old 07-07-2010, 04:28 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Just don't get involved with the Donners.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:28 PM

Yes, two threads because I am new to actually posting here. This is my first post and I was at such a loss with the prior driving we did that I thought I would ask for some insight from others based on their experiences. I then found the "travel" section after I did chicago/suburbs based on limited responses.

Thanks for your feedback. It's helpful.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Oy!
IrishTom -- I don't want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago