Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 PM

179 posts, read 675,805 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. My wife and I moved here two years ago and we live in the loop. My wife works at a school in E. Garfield Park, which she drives to because we don't feel comfortable with her taking public transportation to get there (a few teachers at this school were mugged getting off the train last year). I am currently looking for a teaching position but most of the open positions are south, in what we think are bad areas. Is it worth getting another car and feel safe about applying to one of these areas (i.e. Englewood, Woodlawn), or should I keep waiting on something better, or should I just apply and trust that I will get there and back everyday if I get the job? Do any of you guys commute to areas in which you feel unsafe?
Thanks in advance for your comments and advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 11:14 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default Dirty little secret...

In many CPS sites the number one issue for the staff is safety, the union and the board know it is in both of their best interests to keep those stories out of the paper, and the media cooperates...

If you don't feel safe you will motor away from school as soon as the bell rings and kids will know that extra help is not an option. Bad all around...

The principal, the local school council, the local police liaison can make a HUGE difference, and some schools are an island of safety when there is good cooperation. You wife should ask her school's union rep for the inside scoop on other schools that are particularly unsafe and if you get a call from the principal of one of those schools it is your right to flat out ask the principal what he/ she does to ensure staff safety. Frankly at some schools if you did not ask this question the principal would probably think you are too naive to be in the classroom...

The central office acts like they make assignments, but really even bad principals can and do use pull to get teachers they like and dump those that they sense can't cut it. When the principal is pulling foe you and you tell 'em that you are worried about safety in the parking lot they then have motivation to ask the central office to get surveillance cameras aimed where they will do some good.

If you wanna work in Chicago ya gotta remember that somebody with no clout is goin' be a patsy or a pawn...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago