Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 06:29 PM

19 posts, read 90,868 times

Advertisements

In this thread

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...oak-brook.html

posters strongly cautioned against driving, but there was mention of a cta line, or at least a cta/pace bus combo that would get one from chicago to oak brook. Google maps takes me as far as elmhurt, and the rta chicago site says its domain has expired. (the one google serves up anyways)

I checked the pace site which gave me

http://www.pacebus.com/pdf/RTA_System_map.pdf

which shows a bus will get me pretty close to mid america plaza, mybuilding, but I'm too stupid/lazy to really get a good grasp of what the entire commute from city to suburb is like. The reason I'm not simply moving to Oakbrook is two fold. One, I'm more partial to the downtown area. Two, my company headquarters are downtown, but my boss has assigned me to Oakbrook for in his words, what could be a couple months or longer, but with a good possibility of moving back downtown. So in either case I will be forced to make the commute unless magically my job reassignment falls exactly at the end of my rental lease.

So to sum it up, is the public transportation option (if it even exists?), despite looking like quite a long trip, and maybe a bit of truding through unshoveled sidewalk in the winter, worth it over buying a used car + insurance + parking + registration fees + gas + maintance, etc etc etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:35 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
You would be better off taking metra and seeing if there is a bus that you can take from the metra station.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 PM

19 posts, read 90,868 times
sorry if this sounds ignorant, haven't lived in the city before. would the only way to do the metra be get on at union station?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
^ It depends which line you take. BNSF is out of Union Station, but UP-W is out of Ogilvie. ^

Old 10-05-2010, 08:06 AM

110 posts, read 250,760 times
The line you want is out of Oglivie. The line you want is the Union Pacific West line. It actually runs express to/from Elmhurst a couple of times a day, so that part should be a quick trip.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,630 times
I commute to Oakbrook from Lincoln Park every day, and I'll admit it's a bit of pain. It takes about an hour going to work and sometimes an hour and a half going back in. But to be honest, by the time you get to Ogilvie, get to Oakbrook, then get the bus to your office, it's probably going to be close to an hour anyway.

For me, I would have to take some form of CTA transportation to Ogilvie, then the Metra, then the Pace. That in an of itself would require 3 passes and probably cost a fair amount. On the flip side my car insurance is $30/mo (older car) and my gas is generally about $100/mo.

Either way the commute sucks and I really wouldn't recommend it long term. My office is moving to the Loop in Feb. which is the only reason I tolerate it right now.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 AM

258 posts, read 760,238 times
Why not look at the RTA's Trip Planner to see your options? You take the Blue Line to Forest Park and then express bus 747 (18 minutes) to Oakbrook Center. A slightly longer trip, if you're traveling off-peak, is the local Pace bus 322 from the west end of the Pink Line. If you take Metra to Elmhurst, local Pace bus 332 takes you from there to Oakbrook.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; 10-05-2010 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,405 times
Can you considered doing the commute without using Metra? Pace Bus has a #322 route which runs along Cermak from the 54th Ave/Cermak station all the way west past Oak Brook and Yorktown Malls and it has the advantage of running busses a lot more frequently than some of the other routes. You'd need to go from downtown out to 54th/Cermak via the CTA Pink Line and transfer to Pace there.

If you're taking Metra, the best bet would probably be the UP West Line out to Elmhurst and then transfer to the Pace #332 bus there which follows York Road down to 22nd and then west to the Oak Brook Mall (I'm assuming your office building is near there?). This would work OK but you don't have as many or as frequent busses / trains to choose from.

EDIT: LOL you beat me to it! I need to learn to type faster.

Quote:
A slightly longer trip, if you're traveling off-peak, is the local Pace bus 322 from the west end of the Pink Line.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I commute to Oakbrook from Lincoln Park every day, and I'll admit it's a bit of pain. It takes about an hour going to work and sometimes an hour and a half going back in. But to be honest, by the time you get to Ogilvie, get to Oakbrook, then get the bus to your office, it's probably going to be close to an hour anyway.

For me, I would have to take some form of CTA transportation to Ogilvie, then the Metra, then the Pace. That in an of itself would require 3 passes and probably cost a fair amount. On the flip side my car insurance is $30/mo (older car) and my gas is generally about $100/mo.

Either way the commute sucks and I really wouldn't recommend it long term. My office is moving to the Loop in Feb. which is the only reason I tolerate it right now.
You can get a CTA/Pace component added to your Metra ticket rather than getting 3 passes, and if your company participates in Wage Works then you can also get them pre-tax.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:49 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
You can get a CTA/Pace component added to your Metra ticket rather than getting 3 passes, and if your company participates in Wage Works then you can also get them pre-tax.

Ah good to know that. I don't plan on taking public transportation anytime soon, but if my car takes a dive in the next few months I probably will. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: