Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:50 AM

70 posts, read 350,576 times

Advertisements

Good Morning all. I am reaching out to get some more info on Chicago. We are going to arrive on the 18th and then depart on the 22nd. We will be staying out in Des Plaines, IL, because we are flying into O’Hare. We plan to take the train into town during the day. We are located near the Cumberland train stop.

I was wondering if you could give me some info on:
• Attractions to see
• Best place for Pizza
• Best place for hot Dogs
• Any other mom and pop restaurants we need to try
• I heard they have fireworks at the Navy Pier on Wednesday and Saturday? Is this correct?
• Anything else I might have forgot

Also, if you know place to get any coupons or discount that you could mail to me that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 06:20 PM

Wow no help at all. I am from Charlotte, NC and I posted in the Charlotte forum all of the time to help vistors.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:13 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,262,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertrule View Post
Good Morning all. I am reaching out to get some more info on Chicago. We are going to arrive on the 18th and then depart on the 22nd. We will be staying out in Des Plaines, IL, because we are flying into O’Hare. We plan to take the train into town during the day. We are located near the Cumberland train stop.

I was wondering if you could give me some info on:
• Attractions to see
• Best place for Pizza
• Best place for hot Dogs
• Any other mom and pop restaurants we need to try
• I heard they have fireworks at the Navy Pier on Wednesday and Saturday? Is this correct?
• Anything else I might have forgot

Also, if you know place to get any coupons or discount that you could mail to me that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Ron

Regarding coupons, you can always google restaurants...they do have entertainment guides that walgreens sells that sometimes have good deals. There are fireworks at Navy Pier on Wed and Sat. I prefer Giordanos for pizza, but Ginos East is also great. I can't help you with hot dogs..... What other type of restaurants are you looking for? You can also search metromix.com for events, restaurants, etc. I would also recommend going to the Signature Room in the Hancock to have a drink (1 drink is the same price as going up to the observatory and the room is much nicer)

Old 07-09-2007, 10:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,394,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertrule View Post
Wow no help at all. I am from Charlotte, NC and I posted in the Charlotte forum all of the time to help vistors.
There are plenty of regulars in the Chicago forum who are glad to help out. But we also have lives to live and you might get a little further if you a) drop the freakin' attitude and b) give us more than half a day to respond.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,128,724 times
Well that and these are all questions that could be answered easily by spending a few minutes searching for them yourself. I'd recommend reading the "Chicago's best hot dog" thread at the top of the forum to find opinions on Chicago's best hot dog.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:04 AM

thanks for the help. sorry about the attitude. Just trying to get a more event filled trip.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:18 AM

7 posts, read 20,074 times
I think every neighbor hood has a favorite hot dog place, its a matter of taste.. I prefer Cog Hill Golf Course hot dogs in Lemont over any. I was a life long resident of Chicago 63 yrs..Of course I did work at Cog Hill and none compare to me.. They also have the best in my opion Tuna Salad Croissant.. I prefer on the South Side Villa Rosa Pizza & Restaurant
near Mid Way Air Port.. I have had many from the South Side also Down Town Chicago and that is my personal favorite.UNO Chicago Grill is a secound which is located Down Town.. Ed Debevic's Chicago Restaurant is a fun place.. Navy Pier of course You can catch a free trolly in front of Macys to take you to Navy Pier.. Water Tower Place is always a great place for Shopping and Resturants.. Its located on Michigan Avenue. Here is a great link Navy Pier - Fireworks

Enjoy your visit.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:00 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,128,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane470 View Post
I think every neighbor hood has a favorite hot dog place, its a matter of taste.. I prefer Cog Hill Golf Course hot dogs in Lemont over any.

You know, I would have never thought of that in a 'best hot dogs' list, but you're right. The hot dogs there are ridiculously good, even more so because you just don't expect it at a snack shop on the ninth hole.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,216,271 times
Default Egg Splatter

For mom and pop restaurants, there were nothing like the old egg splatter joints in Chicago. With the arrival of fast food, breakfast to go and chain burger houses these places are fading fast. My favorites include:

Palace Grille : at Roosevelt and Canal. Very cleaned up from its former state. Open 24 hours. NBA players can be found here late at night.

White Palace: West on Madison near Racine. A nice joint with parking. Open very early.

Holidays: at Halsted and Randolph. A cozy place with a 5' tall waitress. Noted for police patronization -- chances that it will be held up are nil. The place to go if you want a Bloody Mary at 9 am.

Billy Goats: The original is on lower Michigan (402 north) at Kinzie street under the Wrigley building. A legendary joint made famous by Belushi has not lost its charm (rough edges?). If you don't know what you want the greeter will suggest what you should order. A very friendly place.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,394,526 times
My favorite pizza places:

Thin Crust: Piece in Wicker Park
Pan: Pequod's in Lincoln Park
Chicago Stuffed: Calo in Andersonville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago