Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 AM

24 posts, read 60,131 times

Advertisements

If a person is working in the 200 block of North Lasalle in Chicago (I think this is the loop), how far out does one need to live to have a 3 bedroom home in a safe community with a yard?

I currently live in beautiful Jo Daviess County and am very concerned about the quality of life in the "big city" based on my simple, but wonderful 8-4 life.

There are better professional opportunities there for my husband, but I am so secure here. Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sharebear63; 12-09-2010 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: missing word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 07:45 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Like, a full sized yard? Or a patch of grass?

If you're looking for a full yard, you're need going to have to venture a good deal out. Or, at least 12-15 miles away.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:52 AM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharebear63 View Post
If a person is working in the 200 block of North Lasalle in Chicago (I think this is the loop), how far out does one need to live to have a 3 bedroom home in a safe community with a yard?

I currently live in beautiful Jo Daviess County and am very concerned about the quality of life in the "big city" based on my simple, but wonderful 8-4 life.

There are better professional opportunities there for my husband, but I am so secure here. Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.
How big of a yard a and how big of a budget? Yards on average get larger and less expensive the further from the loop you are.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:54 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
To have a 3 bedroom home with a yard anything like what you have in JoDavies county, you will definitely have to move to the suburbs. There are safe communities on the Northwest side of the city, but the lots are probably not nearly as big as what you are looking for.. ditto for the adjacent suburbs.

The good news: 200 N. LaSalle is pretty close to Ogilve Transportation Center, which is where three of the ten METRA lines come in. Therefore, commuting downtown from places where you can find large lots and safe communities.. like Barrington, Arlington Heights, Wheaton, Lake FOrest, etc. would not be too horrible.

The bad news: Must suburbs with larger lots (the ones mentioned above and others) are kind of pricey. Compared to JoDavies county, it may be at least 3 times the price for the same home.

I think a lot depends on your budget- as well as you relative concern for the small-town style of life vs. the safety and yard size. The places mentioned above are safe and offer sizable homes within a short drive of the train station, but you will get a suburban feel, not a small town feel. For a small town feel, you may have to move out to Fox Lake or beyond, where commute times downtown would exceed 90 minutes each way.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 AM

24 posts, read 60,131 times
Thanks to all who replied.

A small lot is ok (I understand that I can't get what I have here). Price TBD? Our home is very nice and nearly paid off, so that will make for a nice down payment.

I do not want to have to commute more than 45 minutes. Living in the city would be nice in some ways (I guess), as long as I have a nice patch of grass and a garage (preferably 2 car).

Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,588 times
one thing that will affect your quality of life more than the size if your yard is the commute to work. if you can find a nice place near public transportation (metra or CTA) that will take your husband into and out of the city easily will make both of your lives easier.

check out oak park. safe. beautiful neighborhoods. close to the city. public transportation. etc.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Also important is the need or lack thereof for decent public schools.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharebear63 View Post
I'm originally from Illinois, and have spent time in both Chicago and rural Illinois. Jo Daviess County is certainly a beautiful and peaceful area. You'll never find that in Chicago. You'll find people who think in ways so alien to your experience that you'll find it beyond belief. I suggest that you read the threads on Chicago and its suburbs; people express concerns unknown in the American heartland. They also exhibit their desire for a lifestyle and concomitant values just as alien. You've found your paradise; no amount of money can replace that.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
200 N Lasalle is also very close to Union Station where most of the other lines come in. I understand however that parking at some of the stations on the western lines is near impossible, unlike on the northern lines.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm originally from Illinois, and have spent time in both Chicago and rural Illinois. Jo Daviess County is certainly a beautiful and peaceful area. You'll never find that in Chicago. You'll find people who think in ways so alien to your experience that you'll find it beyond belief. I suggest that you read the threads on Chicago and its suburbs; people express concerns unknown in the American heartland. They also exhibit their desire for a lifestyle and concomitant values just as alien. You've found your paradise; no amount of money can replace that.
Care to expound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago