Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,511 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm going to be working (normal hours/8-5) in Edgewater, and I'd really like to move to Norwood Park. I'll most likely be driving, and my car has 4WD. Obviously I should give myself more time than the 24 minutes Google suggests, but am I potentially looking at double or even triple that drive time depending on weather and traffic? I've driven around these areas a few times; however, I'm not yet too familiar with Chicago or its north side. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
That 24 min estimate is best case, like 4AM, no construction, every single light going your way...

If you take Peterson it has the advantage of not really have as much retail as some other streets, but it is no "expressway". Buses crossing, delivery trucks, other commuters bring the average speed to under 20 mph pretty quick.

I doubt triple would happen unless there is some unplowed snow storm in progress, but double is not unrealistic...

Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
I live at Kedzie/Wilson and I use Peterson to get to my job just outside of Edgebrook, which is close to Norwood Park.

I usually use Kedzie/Jersey all the way up to Peterson and take it west to work. At 7AM it moves pretty nicely, but I've also used it around 7:45 and it sucks a lot worse then. Actually, many surface streets aren't great closer to 8AM.

and BTW, it takes me 30-35 minutes to get there, so I'd say 24 minutes is very optimistic. At one point when I was living in Bridgeport, I would take LSD all the way north to Hollywood/Ridge/Peterson and take it west. It was very meh, for the most part.

I agree that you leave plenty of time for a bit, until you know how long it takes to get there in all types of conditions.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:48 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Peterson is the best to use. Devon is good to use as well until you get to the river. Devon usually really sucks between Kedzie and Western. I would do Devon,then go down Lincoln, and then take Peterson in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago