Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 PM

5 posts, read 85,323 times

Advertisements

I live in a highrise condo building. Suddenl;y, my a/c has stopped working. It was turned off last night and this morning would not turn back on. I'm not sure how this works... the building has control over a/c or heat being supplied, but the individual apts. have thermostat controls so you can regulate how hot or cold you like it. There is a thing that sits inside a wall and is covered up with the vent. I think it's called a compressor? My question is "Why did it stop working?" and "how much to replace it"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 07:28 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
what'd the building say??

Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellarina21 View Post
I live in a highrise condo building. Suddenl;y, my a/c has stopped working. It was turned off last night and this morning would not turn back on. I'm not sure how this works... the building has control over a/c or heat being supplied, but the individual apts. have thermostat controls so you can regulate how hot or cold you like it. There is a thing that sits inside a wall and is covered up with the vent. I think it's called a compressor? My question is "Why did it stop working?" and "how much to replace it"?
If you own the condo, contact the management company.

If you rent from the unit owner, contact him or her.

There are too many variables for any of us to be of any real use.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:02 PM

Mgmt. could not tell me anything except they will put in a work order for me. They will take a look maybe sometrime 2mrw. I own the condo and kinda worried what this could cost?!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 PM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
You can check your by-laws to see if the HVAC units are considered limited common elements - if so, unless it was your negligence that caused the unit to break , the association will probably pay to have it fixed .. Is the fan not working, or not blowing cold air ?? 'Your negligence' could include not checking and changing the filters ( or letting the building do it ) ..this can cause problems with this type of heater/air unit .. You'll need to wait until they check it out ..

Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 AM

Fan is not working. It does nothing... filters are changed regularly by the building. I should have some news when I get home this evening. Thank you all!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
This is just a guess but the building appears to be responsible for the maintenance (changing the filters) so I imagine they're also responsible for repairs.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 PM

It was the motor. Maintanance was kind enough to replace it quickly and is working fine now. Cost was $180.00 for new motor & labor & tip! Thank you all so much!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:24 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellarina21 View Post
I can appreciate this question because I always wondered how those things work. I guess the building would have large units/compressors outside and then they feed the cold air to individual apartment units that each have a damper (thermostat) and a motorized fan?

In those kind of buildings, do the outdoor units constantly run in the anticipation that everyone in the building will want maximum cooling, or do they know (through computers/circuitry) how much to run?

Just curious in case any HVAC knowledgeable readers are around.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:52 AM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
I can appreciate this question because I always wondered how those things work. I guess the building would have large units/compressors outside and then they feed the cold air to individual apartment units that each have a damper (thermostat) and a motorized fan?

In those kind of buildings, do the outdoor units constantly run in the anticipation that everyone in the building will want maximum cooling, or do they know (through computers/circuitry) how much to run?

Just curious in case any HVAC knowledgeable readers are around.
Not an expert, but from the little I've learned ( from being a high rise dweller work and home for > 20 years..) ... High Rise Air Conditioning is based on chilled water circulation, which is fundamentally different than the smaller buildings/ central air for houses ..the individual units can control, to some extent , the temperature and on/off ..But the buildings will typically turn it on or off for the season .. You'll hear the term 'three pipe' system , which allows hot water ( heat) and chilled water ( air) operating simultaneously .. Some buildings can't operate both simultaneously even with a three pipe system because of the requirement to protect the chilled water from freezing .. It's a good question to ask if one is ever renting or buying in a high rise .. could impact your comfort during Spring and Fall ..
I believe some buildings in the Loop are on a centralized hot/chilled water network ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago