Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 09:55 AM

87 posts, read 164,299 times

Advertisements

Okay I know the Blue Line would be cheaper. However I am looking for faster. I will be at O'Hare airport at 5:45 pm on a Friday. I need to get to a location 50 yards from the Grand Blue line station - -and I need to get there as fast as I can.

I have noticed before on Fridays that 94/Kennedy can look like a parking lot at that time of day - slow moving traffic.

So which would be faster to my destination - airport taxi or Blue Line train?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 10:01 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,187,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2323 View Post
Okay I know the Blue Line would be cheaper. However I am looking for faster. I will be at O'Hare airport at 5:45 pm on a Friday. I need to get to a location 50 yards from the Grand Blue line station - -and I need to get there as fast as I can.

I have noticed before on Fridays that 94/Kennedy can look like a parking lot at that time of day - slow moving traffic.

So which would be faster to my destination - airport taxi or Blue Line train?
It's never 100% certain which will be faster, but 6pm inbound on a Friday, the Blue Line will get you to Grand predictably in ~40 minutes, whereas a taxi could end up taking an hour or more. I had an Airbnb guest coming into the city at about 5:30pm on a weekday and it actually took them 75 minutes from O'Hare to River North, which is only about 10 minutes further than Grand, driving. With no traffic, O'Hare to Grand/Milwaukee can be 25 minutes. But I think the relative reliability of the Blue Line is probably a better choice before 6pm on a Friday.

Part of the factor, too, would be whether there was a line for the taxi. I've had to wait 10+ minutes just to get through the line at the taxi starter station.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:14 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,642,348 times
blue line

cab will be faster in off hours

Old 05-15-2017, 10:39 AM

102 posts, read 124,523 times
Blue line. Nothing worse than sitting in traffic in a cab when you need to be somewhere.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:47 AM

87 posts, read 164,299 times
Blue Line it is ! Thanks for your replies.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
I would double check for things like Cubs game and / or any other "events" which might include "train vs pedestrian" RIGHT AFTER I LAND as even the usually reliable Blue Line can grind to a halt -- Man fatally hit by Blue Line train at Addison station | abc7chicago.com

Old 05-15-2017, 12:30 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,940,247 times
Having done this quite a few times in trying to get back to Boston, the Blue Line wins---going away.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:04 PM

118 posts, read 107,457 times
eh. I don't know how to reply. I take Blue Line every day and I have to say it's annoying when a caravan gets on and hogs seats with luggage. If you can put it your lap or place luggage in aisle and not take a seat from a human, fine.

The CTA just started a campaign against folks who pile on with too much (read: homeless)-in my experience it's luggage.
I am find with strollers, we were on babies once.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:47 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,187,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki_Chicago View Post
eh. I don't know how to reply. I take Blue Line every day and I have to say it's annoying when a caravan gets on and hogs seats with luggage. If you can put it your lap or place luggage in aisle and not take a seat from a human, fine.

The CTA just started a campaign against folks who pile on with too much (read: homeless)-in my experience it's luggage.
I am find with strollers, we were on babies once.
Really not sure what this has to do with bona fide travelers alighting at O'Hare. Considering the fare starting at O'Hare is double the normal fare, I think they're entitled to some extra room for their luggage. And most don't do that anyway.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:23 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,425,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Really not sure what this has to do with bona fide travelers alighting at O'Hare. Considering the fare starting at O'Hare is double the normal fare, I think they're entitled to some extra room for their luggage. And most don't do that anyway.
I also don't see what the problem is. It's freaking luggage, people just need to deal with it. Part of living in the city and part of relying on a train line that is attached to an airport like O'Hare.

People are so sensitive nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago