Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 11,122 times

Advertisements

I've been reading other threads about new residents getting city stickers and have also perused information on the city clerk and secretary of state websites. But I have a rather particular situation, and am not sure of the best course of action.

Originally I was planning to wait until March to switch over my vehicle and driver's license, because I'm turning 25 and will have to get a new license then anyways.

I read that there is a 90 period for switching your license, but only 30 days for switching your vehicle...am I understanding correctly? Can I switch one and wait on the other? That way I could get the city sticker without incurring a late fee. (FYI: my lease begins Dec. 1, so I have until the 31st)

Mostly, I'd just like to accomplish this in the most cost effective manner...not buying 2 licenses in 4 months, not incurring late fees, not getting parking tickets, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
If I were you I would get that city sticker right away. You do not have to wait until Dec. 31st to get it. I would not risk any tickets.

The city stickers are prorated. The fee for a sticker (valid until June 1st 2009 then you must purchase a new one for the next year) from Dec. 1st to March 1st is $50. There is no late fee for you because you are a new resident.

http://www.chicityclerk.com/licenses/newveh_proration.pdf (broken link)

What area are you moving to? Some neighborhoods have a residential permit parking sticker required in addition to the city sticker.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 11,122 times
I am living in Lincoln Park. My building does have a lot where I have an assigned parking spot.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurlaur84 View Post
I am living in Lincoln Park. My building does have a lot where I have an assigned parking spot.
Not the same . Some neighborhoods have zoned parking (even if you see meters) that require a special permit/sticker/placard to park on the public street during certain hours. There's lots of these scattered around the city, mostly in places you'd probably want to go and have scarce parking ( e.g. all around Wrigley Field) .. You are in a private lot, so ..

But, get the sticker ASAP ..some private lots allow the city revenue inspectors to check cars, and you're fair game anytime you park on the street .. and the city needs money

Old 11-30-2008, 07:35 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
Not the same . Some neighborhoods have zoned parking (even if you see meters) that require a special permit/sticker/placard to park on the public street during certain hours. There's lots of these scattered around the city, mostly in places you'd probably want to go and have scarce parking ( e.g. all around Wrigley Field) .. You are in a private lot, so ..

But, get the sticker ASAP ..some private lots allow the city revenue inspectors to check cars, and you're fair game anytime you park on the street .. and the city needs money
x2
and god forbid you get your car towed they wont release it without a sticker

Old 11-30-2008, 08:30 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurlaur84 View Post
I've been reading other threads about new residents getting city stickers and have also perused information on the city clerk and secretary of state websites. But I have a rather particular situation, and am not sure of the best course of action.

Originally I was planning to wait until March to switch over my vehicle and driver's license, because I'm turning 25 and will have to get a new license then anyways.

I read that there is a 90 period for switching your license, but only 30 days for switching your vehicle...am I understanding correctly? Can I switch one and wait on the other? That way I could get the city sticker without incurring a late fee. (FYI: my lease begins Dec. 1, so I have until the 31st)

Mostly, I'd just like to accomplish this in the most cost effective manner...not buying 2 licenses in 4 months, not incurring late fees, not getting parking tickets, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
We can help you, but first we need to know.

You aren't by any chance an extremely shady, cross-dressing tranny with uncertainty regarding your exact location, are you?

Just, you know... curiosity.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:46 PM

Haha.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 25,330 times
I have a question I will be here only temporary prob a year to 18 mo I still have a permanent address in Colorado Do I need plates and stickers? I live in jefferson park and park on the street no permit needed.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan059 View Post
I have a question I will be here only temporary prob a year to 18 mo I still have a permanent address in Colorado Do I need plates and stickers? I live in jefferson park and park on the street no permit needed.
I would get a city sticker, but I do not think you need to change the plates and reg. Anybody that parks in Chicago over 30 days is supposed to have a city sticker (if the car is registered in Chicago or not.)

Many cops live in Jeff Park. I would not mess around.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,598 times
Default Not a Big Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan059 View Post
I have friends who do off-street parking with both In-State and Out-Of-State Plates. You Really don't need to get the sticker...

Illinois Plates - I have several friends who have kept their suburban, parent's addresses on their cars to avoid having to pay for the Chicago City Sticker. They have lived here for several years and have never gotten a ticket. Since they do off-street parking in a non-permit required area, whenever they have gotten a ticket, they just assume they are visiting from DuPage County and get tickets for that. They keep their cars and Driver Licenses linked to their parent's home addresses. The person who owns his own condo has had 0 issues with parking there (my friends live in Lakeview and Lincoln Park that do this).

Out of State Plates - I have another friend who does street parking (everyone I know with a garage has kept their native Michigan or other state plate) and he has had no issues. Although parking is rough for him in Lakeview, he, again, kept his Driver License and Car Registered to his parents and he has been fine - no tickets for "not having a chicago sticker."

If your car is registered to your parents or other family member who is staying in Colorado, and you have a Colorado Driver License and don't plan on living here permanently, just leave it as that. There are so many transplants and out-of-state plates here no one would ever care. I have yet to hear from a single person who has kept their original car's plates that they received a ticket for not registering it in Chicago. It is CRITICAL though that you keep your Colorado License.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago