Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,436 times

Advertisements

Spandau, so what did you end up doing? We are currently in the process of looking at 2 flats and converting to a SF. I googled it to see if I could find some information on it and your thread came up. Did you find any help elsewhere? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,539 times
Default Can it be done condo to SFH in chicago?

I am buying a multi unit with six units. I have a large family and would like to combine two units for my private residence and leave the rest for rentals. Or duplex 1st and second floor on each side of the building and leave the top units for rentals. Im really focused on turning the first and second floor on north side of building into one home. One unit is in no way big enough for my family.
Each unit is only two bedrooms. I have four daughters and one son, so i really need the space. The building is low enough that we can afford to do some major remodeling but am wondering about the legallity and process here in chicago.
We love the property, it has a large yard and parking off street, which is like gold to us former northsiders.
If anybody can give me some info or some resources to look at I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default While perfectly legal, you may really kill resale...

Without knowing where in Chicago this building is, how much you will be paying for the multi-unit and what sorts of long term plans you have for those five kids have I would caution that the probable rental value of 6 two bedroom apartments is something many investors would rather have that some mish mash of enormous "owner's unit" or even two four bedrooms mixed in with a couple of rentals.

All the work to make the kitchesn look / function like bedroom or rec room is gonna be wasted too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby2011 View Post
I am buying a multi unit with six units. I have a large family and would like to combine two units for my private residence and leave the rest for rentals. Or duplex 1st and second floor on each side of the building and leave the top units for rentals. Im really focused on turning the first and second floor on north side of building into one home. One unit is in no way big enough for my family.
Each unit is only two bedrooms. I have four daughters and one son, so i really need the space. The building is low enough that we can afford to do some major remodeling but am wondering about the legallity and process here in chicago.
We love the property, it has a large yard and parking off street, which is like gold to us former northsiders.
If anybody can give me some info or some resources to look at I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,539 times
The blessing is that the building is mostly gutted, so reconfiguring spaces wont be as much of a challenge. I finally spoke to someone in the assessor's office regarding our situation, which turns out to be quite simple. The gentleman stated that I would have to submit a request to cancel the "Condo Act " that was established by previous owners and have it reassessed. The would reassign a new PIN and voila. Im not too concerned with resale given the price Im paying for the building. Thank you so much for your response. This site provided me with some good questions as i researched this issue.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:29 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
I'm pretty sure it can be done physically. I don't know about zoning and stuff. I own a two flat in Berwyn and I have pondered this just as a mental time wasting exercise and have even come up with a floor plan that would not require a lot of work. There are probably lots of ways to do it to pour hundreds of thousands of dollars into a building to change it around an other ways to make smaller changes and repurpose some rooms. In my fantasy re do, the first floor would remain mostly the same. The second floor I would use the living room as a master suite, and enlarge the bathroom so it would end up being a three bedroom home as one of the bedrooms would be eaten up by bathroom/closet space. The staircases would remain the same as it would be very expensive to redo them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago