Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:21 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniard View Post
we it is not exactly Gary as city but "2300 Jackson St Gary, IN 46407" I am sure is a beautiful place but we dont have enough time to visit everything so it will be a 5 minute visit couple of photos and leave to dunes.

sorry for being so repetitive can we park in chicago if we - find a spaces - after 7 pm everywhere or we still need to pay?

Gary is actually one of the worst place in the entire United States in most parts. It's population has dropped by around 1/2, it's quite dangerous and a pretty sad sight in the center of the city. Most stores abandoned. It's the poster child of industrial decline in our country.

The rates in downtown Chicago are 24 hours a day, and can run $3.50 an hour if you manage to find something on the street, or more if you put it in a parking garage.

A vast majority of visitors and especially workers take public transit into the downtown area. It's not driver-friendly for the most part.

The train will get you closer to the action than trying to find a good parking spot, it will be cheaper, less stressful, and depending on traffic possibly faster as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:26 AM

64 posts, read 148,929 times
There is a reason to take the car. Let me explain. As you know I want to drive to Mi etc so I will need a car because I cant spend time with slower modes of transport. I am forced to pick up the car (earliest) 9 am on saturday because sunday is closed. So I will pick the car, drive to the train station you told me(sorry I cant remember right now), leave the car somewhere and spend the day in chicago until late night. go to hotel and following morning (sunday) trip out of chicago (In, Mi...) and when i'm back in the evening explore north side by car. Monday: either Milwaukee or Route 66 bit further chicago.

is there a lot of traffic at night even? :S

Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 AM

94 posts, read 257,758 times
Welcome to Chicago!

Skip Kenosha and Wisconsin.

There is far too much time spent in driving & transit. It will take nearly 2 hours to cross the state line, whether you got to Wisconsin or Michigan

1 1/2 days in Chicago. Stay downtown take public transit. Pick up rental car at Union Station

or

Take South Shore Train to Indiana. Arrange for a rental car pick up and drive up to Michigan.

1 1/2 days up along the scenic Lake Michigan shoreline in Michigan.
Allow for random stops and a bit of beach walking at Warren Dunes State Park. If you have time, take the crossing to Mackinac Island.

I know Spaniards eat very very late. If you want to save money on dinner, try to get a reservation at restaurants offer pre-theater dinners. Often 3-4 fixed courses under $30.

Have fun.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Skip Kenosha and Wisconsin
I know!, again im sure it will be a beautiful place to stay for weeks, but unfortunately... again timing. The Wisconsin trip is just because I am on my 50 state dream and I know I will never have wisconsin anywhere near again. I was just looking for the nearest town to frontier with at least something to shoot. Any recomendations? no need of being right in michingan lake because of my Michigan trip too.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM

94 posts, read 257,758 times
If you have a lot of time, and you have an interest in architecture, I'd go to Spring Green, WI. Check dates; it closes for the winter and you need tickets in advance reservations to tour. This is a long day trip.

Welcome to Taliesin Preservation, Inc.

If you want outdoors in a midwestern kind of way, there is:
WDNR - Kettle Moraine South (http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/kms/ - broken link)

Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 AM

too far! i only have one day..

Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Sorry, I think you're nuts. Would you recommend that a visitor to Spain spend 1 day in say, Barcelona or Madrid and then spend much of the rest of their trip driving to look at high rises along the Costa del Sol?(I've heard much of the Costa del Sol is full of english football hoodlum types.) You're going to spend so much time and money dealing with a car so you can say you set foot in 4 states on your visit here? It seems like a miserable way to spend a vacation. My one trip to Spain was spent with a week at a horse farm that included a day trip to Jerez to the Real Escuela and a day trip to the beach, with lots of time exploring the area close to the farm and then 3 days in Sevilla. But if that's what you really want to do, you got some good advice, just be aware that you'll just be checking things off a list and not really experiencing them.

Last edited by knitgirl; 09-22-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 AM

I know, and I love it! I am even thinking of trying to make it to minnesota!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:12 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
I understand about having to pick up the car at 9am now - and I'm glad you're leaving it at the train station! That'll actually work out well since no matter when you arrive back from Chicago, you can just grab the car and drive to the hotel without messing with the shuttle late at night.

I'd try and do Indiana and Michigan early on Sunday, then go back into the city and expore the north side or downtown more Sunday evening.

The dunes of Indiana are really nice and scenic, you won't be sorry you took the 2-3 hour trip out there.

Honestly though, skip Gary. Just take I-90 east to Highway 20/12 East - and then check out Indiana Dunes State Park, and head further East and look for the signs for Mount Baldey. Just contine on 12 East towards New Buffalo and Michigan.

In New Buffalo you can connect with I-94 and come back to Chicago quicker on the interstate.

There's really nothing on Route 66 anymore - that was big decades ago. Go to Milwaukee. Leave EARLY on Monday and you can spend a few hours in Milwaukee. Even if you get there mid-morning the traffic in Milwaukee isn't going to be that bad. The only issue is if you're going to Wisconsin on Monday morning, you'll want to leave at like 6am to beat traffic, or wait and leave at 930am to miss it. Traffic in Chicago is horrible, especially in the suburbs. It's thousands and thousands of square kilometers of suburban sprawl, roads and office complexes.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:48 PM

Well thank you very very much for all your help. I am amazed on how you all helped me on my tight scheduled trip. I now have great ideas on things to do and visit. I honestly hope this helps others.

ps. Chicago60614 if you ever intend to visit Spain or houston (I dont know much about ye because only been there for two months, but i will) just let me know. I know to perfection my country.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago