Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 03:09 AM

4 posts, read 6,102 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys, Glad I stumbled across this forum. Good stuff.

I'm very close to signing a lease at Burnham Pointe (Printer's Row area) but would like to have some more input on that area (and the building, if anyone has any experience). A bit of background without being long winded: Moved here from Arkansas last summer after getting into DePaul MSF program. Graduated with double major in econ/fin and mgmt/marketing, but the summer of 09 was a horrible time to find a job, as I'm sure you all know. I moved here on a whim (without ever visiting, except to look for an apartment) and I think it's a great place. I was in a hurry to find a place, and ended up with one in the great area of Lincoln and Diversey Ave. My lease is up in July, and it is just too small. To go bigger in that area will require a good amount of money, and I'd like to try out a new neighborhood. My ultimate desires include: in unit wash/dry, balcony, dishwasher, hardwood floors, modern. Basically, the good stuff. After checking out Lincoln Square and other units in Lincoln Park/Lakeview, I decided to venture into the South Loop due to the fact there is much new construction. Those other neighborhoods are awesome, but I was wanting a newer building. Anyway, I looked at a few buildings down there and came across Burnham Pointe. Super nice building and meets all the qualifications - including budget. A few concerns:

1) How safe is the area? I, as most probably do, like to walk around in the evening and stop in for dinner, etc. Usually home by 9 or 10 at the latest. I want to avoid thuggers and the problems that come with them. I just want to live and feel comfortable walking.

2) It's very near the Harrison redline, is this a safe stop? I am currently a night manager at a hotel in the Loop, and will be leaving for work around 10:30 pm 2 nights a week. As it is now, I transfer to red at Fullerton, and have never had any problems. Remember though, I am wearing a suit and look somewhat professional. Too bad for them, I never carry cash - but they don't know that.

3) Essentially, I would just like to know everyone's impressions on that Printer's Row/Northern South Loop area and any input on Burnham Pointe would also be great. The crime stats don't make me love it - but compared with where I live now, the same crap seems to be going down all around me.

I know it seems like I should know more being here for almost a year, but grad school and work take up quite a bit of time. Throw in working overnight and sleeping during the day, and there's not much free time to explore. I apologize for the sheer length of this post. I appreciate any and all input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 07:43 AM

258 posts, read 760,470 times
Well, I've lived in the neighborhood since 1983., just steps away from Burnham Pointe. I would have no hesitation about safety, day or night. There was an attempted assault about three years ago, but other than that I can't remember the last time I heard about a mugging or other actual street crime. The transportation access is superb. In summer, there's a farmers market at Polk/Dearborn, and there are a lot of friendly neighborhood restaurants. We don't have the extremely trendy haute cuisine places, nor the fashionable 20something bars.

But why not leave for work early some evening and come walk around the neighborhood for a half hour at that time of night to see if you feel comfortable before signing a lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago