Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:15 AM

29 posts, read 120,771 times

Advertisements

What are like the top 5 best dance clubs in Chicago? You know the types that play house, techno, and other electronic music genres? Where are they located too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 10:48 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 872,034 times
Vision/Excalibur

Enclave

Sound Bar

V Live

Tantrik

Last edited by desperad0stl; 11-26-2010 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 AM

29 posts, read 120,771 times
nice.....

Old 11-26-2010, 03:17 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Depends on what you're looking for in a club, really.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:31 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
From what I've heard from more old school club goers, our dance music scene is really lacking compared to what it was about 10-15 years ago. I've been to 4 out of the 5 clubs that desperad0stl mentioned (all of them except Tantrik) and I don't think that any of them could light a candle to the scene in other places (esp. in Europe, Miami during the Electronic Music Festival, etc.). Sadly even when the music is on point here, it's the pretentious mix of patrons that sometimes leaves a bit more to be desired in terms of mentality & diversity in thinking (think Jersey Shore meets the Eastern Bloc lol). No offense to anyone here (half of my friends here are of Polish descent), but I just wish my fellow Chicago fistbumpers were a little more open minded & laid back a la Southern California style perhaps.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
From what I've heard from more old school club goers, our dance music scene is really lacking compared to what it was about 10-15 years ago. I've been to 4 out of the 5 clubs that desperad0stl mentioned (all of them except Tantrik) and I don't think that any of them could light a candle to the scene in other places (esp. in Europe, Miami during the Electronic Music Festival, etc.). Sadly even when the music is on point here, it's the pretentious mix of patrons that sometimes leaves a bit more to be desired in terms of mentality & diversity in thinking (think Jersey Shore meets the Eastern Bloc lol). No offense to anyone here (half of my friends here are of Polish descent), but I just wish my fellow Chicago fistbumpers were a little more open minded & laid back a la Southern California style perhaps.
How does the chicago scene differ from Europe or Miami?

Old 11-27-2010, 01:49 PM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 872,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I went clubbing in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Bangkok and clubs in the USA just aren't as over the top as those abroad.
One thing I was surprised by is that I didn't run into any Guidos at all in Chicago...I thought I would but I never saw em...lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGIln4jInSI

Old 11-27-2010, 05:26 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
I am by no means an expert on Chicago clubs, but I am a huge fan of Smart Bar in Wrigleyville. Drinks are overpriced, but they get awesome electronic acts. It's more about having a good time and dancing to kickass music than being seen. Same with Crocodile in Wicker Park. Empire Liquors down the block from there is OK too.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
How does the chicago scene differ from Europe or Miami?
The Chicago scene is much different than Europe or Miami, or other cities. It is just different. Thousands of miles away usually means there will be different vibe. The clubs in Miami I would say are nicer, larger, and just generally a more crazy vibe. Chicago clubs are more tame, but in some of the smaller venues you might have more people who actually know who is spinning and less "clubbers" which is a good thing. I am not sure if the vibe is any different than 10 years ago.. Maybe... I went to a few in 2001, including Paul Van Dyk, I guess I would say it was more lively then.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:49 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
I agree. I haven't been there recently, but whenever I have, the laid back Smart Bar patrons were all about the MUSIC & especially House Music (Chicago is the birthplace of House after all). It was a great breath of fresh air compared to some of the other more pretentious venues closer to downtown.

I wish Chicago could have more venues such as Smart Bar that catered to true aficionados of house music and also hip hop music (the old school kick knowledge & enjoy life kind, not the gangster shoot em up kind lol) for the grown & sexy (and not pretentious) to enjoy. It would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I am by no means an expert on Chicago clubs, but I am a huge fan of Smart Bar in Wrigleyville. Drinks are overpriced, but they get awesome electronic acts. It's more about having a good time and dancing to kickass music than being seen. Same with Crocodile in Wicker Park. Empire Liquors down the block from there is OK too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago