Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,949 times

Advertisements

We just returned from a trip where we took a detour and stayed in Chicago for four days. I never thought I would say this about a city but I love this city! There is so much more I want to do, I can hardly wait to go back. I had no idea before going there that I was going to enjoy it as much as I did. It was easy to drive around in and figure out, we were even driving around downtown. The food is amazing, the culture, I just can't get over it. I know I'm telling you Chicagoans what you already know, I just can't believe what a great time we had there. We would consider a move to Illinois to be closer but we're afraid to be too close to all of that good food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 05:47 AM

431 posts, read 2,126,091 times
Hey Earniefan, I know what you mean. I'm a die hard NYer, but I was up in Chicago in July and I totally fell in the love with the city. I want to go back again real soon. I don't know what it was. It had the "wow" factor. After living in 2 other states (south) out side of Ny and being disappointed, I'd be so afraid to try something new again. But i gotta say, if I had to relocate to somewhere other than NY, I think Chicago would be way up on top of the list.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:58 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,235 times
Default Living in Chicago

Chicago is a good urban option for New Yorkers. Granted, it's not NYC, but it comes close. It's more affordable and like NYC, is very ethnically diverse, has a good network of public transportation (not as good as yours), many entertainment and cultural options, plentiful jobs and something for everyone. I once moved away myself to the South and lasted 1 year. I romanticzed about moving somewhere with an easier way of life, slower pace, etc. What I realized about myself is that I couldn't adopt to the slower pace and the slow pace drove me crazy. I was much more stressed out there than living in Chicago! lol. I also really missed all of the ethnic offerings Chicago has and couldn't find good ethnic food. I also realized how efficient Chicago is, despite its shady politicians. If you live in the city, you can dial 311 to report non emergency events (tree branch fell, dead animal in the street, pothole in the street, etc) and these things get taken care of quickly. When I moved South, there was a huge dead dog dead on a major street, decaying in the heat and it took a 1 week for it to be removed! It was gross. That would never happen here. We may really high taxes, but it's worth living here.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Well there's the old joke we like to tell in Chicago, posted in another thread somewhat recently...

Q: What's harder than convincing a New Yorker to move to Chicago?

A: Convincing him to move back to New York.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:55 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well there's the old joke we like to tell in Chicago, posted in another thread somewhat recently...

Q: What's harder than convincing a New Yorker to move to Chicago?

A: Convincing him to move back to New York.
Exactly!

Q: What's harder than stopping Los Angeles from attacking Chicago?

A: Stopping Los Angeles from whining about rain!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,217 times
hey im alex and i would like you to tell me more about chicago cuz i've heard its sucha nice state too and its chilli over there! im new on this link too by the way! im from tx tnx hit me back!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,447,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmendez51 View Post
hey im alex and i would like you to tell me more about chicago cuz i've heard its sucha nice state too and its chilli over there! im new on this link too by the way! im from tx tnx hit me back!
Oh Alex, no need to tell us you're from Texas. That was obvious from the moment you said that Chicago seems like a nice state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago