Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:35 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Some people have been given an EXTRA measure of sarcasm... I am one of them so I can sympathize with you.

lol, appreciate that.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:56 AM

33,225 posts, read 26,429,769 times
[quote=Bro Steve Winter;14852754]Remember that in the Bible someone who has not obeyed Acts 2:38 is counted as a non-believer.

Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

So someone who has not obeyed Acts 2:38 to become a Christian has rejected John 3:16 as well.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

That is a beautiful verse, but it is abused by many false preachers to promote false christianity and lies. John 3:16 was only PART of a conversation which INCLUDED John 3:5.

John 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
John 3:2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
John 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Jesus declared that salvation required a re-birth of water and Spirit.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
John 3:9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
John 3:10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
John 3:11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
John 3:12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you [of] heavenly things?
John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, [even] the Son of man which is in heaven.
John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Jesus knew that anyone who *really* believed in Him would OBEY. The example that Jesus used regarding the serpent was a situation where only the obedient were saved! Jesus used an example that stressed OBEDIENCE!

Here is the situation that Jesus cited.

Numbers 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

Here is the whole context.

Numbers 21:5 And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.
6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
7 Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

Jesus used an example of a sinful people who were, by grace, given an opportunity to OBEY and be saved.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

When the plan of salvation was preached on the birthday of the Church, it was based on the two elements that Jesus had declared essential. Notice "water" (baptism) and "Spirit" (Holy Ghost), John 3:5 in ACTion.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Acts 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added [unto them] about three thousand souls.

* Those who "believed" were baptised in Jesus name. *

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Acts 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

Those who "believed" the apostles, "obeyed" the apostles.

Acts 18:8 And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.

Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Acts 19:5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Anyone who would not obey Acts 2:38 was counted to be a NON-BELIEVER.

Romans 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Hebrews 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

What is promised to those who refuse to obey the Gospel? Remember Jesus used in His discussion about salvation a situation where any non-obeyer DIED.

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

The serpent was lifted up to provide an option for the people to obey and be saved.

2 Thessalonians 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

Hebrews 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Moderator cut: edit

To the contrary. Water baptism was never a requirement for salvation. Throughout all of human history, in every dispensation, salvation has always been by faith alone, in Christ alone. To add baptism as a requirement for salvation is works, and is legalism, which is a different gospel.

Water baptism was simply a public testimony which those who had already been saved, underwent as a declaration to the fact that they had believed in Christ. It was a public identification in which being submerged in the water, the believer was identified with Christ in retroactive positional truth, and when he came up out of the water, he was identified with Christ in current positional truth. It was only a ritual, and has no bearing on salvation.

The believers water baptism ( Acts 2:38, 41; 8:36-38; 9:18; 10:47,48; 16:33) was a double identification.

1) The water represents the body of Christ. When he is submerged in the water the believer is identified with Christ in His death, His strategic victory over Satan in the angelic conflict (retroactive positional truth). It is a picture of God's rejection of human good.

2) The believer is identified with air. When he comes up out of the water, it is a picture of the believer being in union with Christ (current positional truth.).

In Acts 8:36 it is made clear that one must already be saved before being water baptized. 'And as they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch said, ''Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?'' [37] And Philip said, ''If you believe with all your heart, you may.'' And he answered and said, ''I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.''

Outside of Acts, the only place where water baptism is mentioned is 1 Corinthians 1:14-17, where it is mentioned negatively.

1 Cor. 1:14 'I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, [15] that no man should say you were baptized in my name, [16] Now I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any other. [17] For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, that the cross of Christ should not be made void.

Water baptism is not a requirement for salvation.

http://www.crbaptist.com/sermon/serm...TOKEN=45084767

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-01-2010 at 12:24 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 6,932 times
Remember that in the Bible someone who has not obeyed Acts 2:38 is counted as a non-believer.

Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

So someone who has not obeyed Acts 2:38 to become a Christian has rejected John 3:16 as well.

That is a beautiful verse, but it is abused by many false preachers to promote false christianity and lies. John 3:16 was only PART of a conversation which INCLUDED John 3:5.

John 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
John 3:2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
John 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
John 3:10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
John 3:11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
John 3:12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you [of] heavenly things?
John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, [even] the Son of man which is in heaven.
John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Jesus knew that anyone who *really* believed in Him would OBEY. The example that Jesus used regarding the serpent was a situation where only the obedient were saved! Jesus used an example that stressed OBEDIENCE!

Numbers 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

Numbers 21:5 And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.
6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
7 Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

Jesus used an example of a sinful people who were, by grace, given an opportunity to OBEY and be saved.

When the plan of salvation was preached on the birthday of the Church, it was based on the two elements that Jesus had declared essential. Notice "water" (baptism) and "Spirit" (Holy Ghost), John 3:5 in ACTion.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Acts 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added [unto them] about three thousand souls.

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Acts 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

Acts 18:8 And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.

Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Acts 19:5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Romans 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

What is promised to those who refuse to obey the Gospel? Remember Jesus used in His discussion about salvation a situation where any non-obeyer DIED.

The serpent was lifted up to provide an option for the people to obey and be saved.

2 Thessalonians 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

Moderator cut: signature lines are not allowed

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-01-2010 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Please do not add this signature line again..It is advertising and infractable

Old 07-01-2010, 11:15 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,482 times
Legalism.

I guess Jesus lied to the man on the cross when He said, "Today you will be with me in Paradise."

Old 07-01-2010, 11:27 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,107 times
[quote=Bro Steve Winter;14858781]Remember that in the Bible someone who has not obeyed Acts 2:38 is counted as a non-believer.

Moderator cut: edit

...again...please...are you a Sabbath Keeper?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-01-2010 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 11:29 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,525,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Steve Winter View Post
Real Acts 2:38 Christians are to keep every day holy. If someone turned on a light switch on Saturday they have broken the Sabbath. Most of those claiming to keep the Sabbath have simply made up their own list of rules and then use that for oneupmanship and to feed their pride. Real Acts 2:38 Christians are a royal priesthood and the priesthood was not bound by the Sabbath.
I agree with this one!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:29 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,191 times
Now if anyone cares, (it is ok if you don't. really it is) this thread is a good example of what I am talking about, 3 Christians who define being saved differently, one agreed, only to be shot down by the ultimate keeper of the law, another disagrees, which one does the unbeliever choose to secure their eternal destiny? Will the REAL Christian please stand up. News at 11.

Thank God he is not willing that any perish.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 6,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Legalism.

I guess Jesus lied to the man on the cross when He said, "Today you will be with me in Paradise."
It is rather brazen for the false-christians to call Jesus a liar.

I really thought by now all of the false-christians knew better than to try that old "thief on the cross" argument to try to justify their disobedience of the Bible in their false-christian cults.

The thief on the cross died before the New Testament Church was born. The new testament Church was born in Acts 2:4 and the new testament plan of salvation preached in Acts 2:38, confirmed in Acts 2:39 and preached and practiced by the Apostles Acts 19-4-6.

One of the tricks that many false preachers use in their deception is that they use the "thief on the cross" as "proof" that baptism in Jesus name is not required for salvation. They use that one account of the "thief on the cross" to deceive people into flat ignoring *bunches* of verses about baptism, even a verse where the Lord Himself declares baptism as ESSENTIAL, they will ignore ALL these verses:

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

* Jesus said,"... AND is baptized" *

Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

* Sins washed away THROUGH baptism *

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things
concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

* Believers were always baptized. *

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

* Just look at those verses about Jesus name baptism! But the false preachers will still proclaim "thief on the cross" and those so deceived will go "amen brother"... BUT!! What the false preachers and those so deceived are overlooking is: The thief DIED BEFORE Baptism in Jesus name was even instituted and preached by the apostle Peter!! When the thief on the cross died, the new testament church had not been born; Jesus had not yet risen from the dead!!! The thief on the cross was dead for over a month BEFORE Acts 2:38 was even preached. *

The thief on the cross was not even in the "church" dispensation, the commandment to be baptised had not been given.

I really hope that you can see the deception in the "thief on the cross" argument against baptism. But I hope that if your preacher told you that lie, that you will realize that he has lied to you about other things as well, and is not really a man of God at all.

The Bible warns so many times, in so many places that there will be MANY false preachers leading people to hell. People who are being led into hell by false preachers BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE SAVED; that is the job of the false preacher to keep them feeling "secure".

Does your preacher teach the "thief on the cross" as an excuse to
undermine the essentiality of baptism? If so, are you going to follow him/her/it into the pits of hell, anyway?

Matthew 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Luke 6:39 And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause
divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
Romans 16:18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Bro. Steve Winter The Truth Of The Bible

Old 07-01-2010, 11:32 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Now if anyone cares, (it is ok if you don't. really it is) this thread is a good example of what I am talking about, 3 Christians who define being saved differently, one agreed, only to be shot down by the ultimate keeper of the law, another disagrees, which one does the unbeliever choose to secure their eternal destiny? Will the REAL Christian please stand up. News at 11.

Thank God he is not willing that any perish.
Yes, it is entertaining to read the various "requirements" listed for one to be a "true" believer. Fascinating. Makes me think of the book of Ecclesiastes. All is vanity........(except for what God does).

Old 07-01-2010, 11:46 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,482 times
OP, what denomination are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity