Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:42 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
An old fashoned wooden rolling pin is called "An Amish Vibrator".
This if very offensive. I hope one of the moderators will see fit to draw the line and give you an infraction for making such a crude joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:49 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I understand that Evangelicals are conservative and their rights should be respected. But why can't Evangelicals be like the Amish and live their conservative lifestyle without pushing their beliefs on mainstream society? The Amish don't pretend their beliefs are upheld by mainstream Christians so why don't Evangelicals do the same?
Because they are power-hungry control freaks? That's my guess.

Heartsong, a L-I-B-E-R-A-L believer in Jesus Christ.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:41 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Again, this thread has nothing to do with Islam. Why don't we discuss the issue at hand. Can you explain why a conservative Christian group like the Amish do not proselytize or push their values on the public but Evangelicals do?

Is it not possible that Evangelicals could emulate the Amish and remain conservative but show respect and tolerance for people of other faiths and ideology. Do Evangelicals assume tolerating something is the same as accepting it?
You don't have an understanding of the Amish, or you wouldn't be asking why Evangelicals or any Christians for that matter, cannot be like them.

It is because the Amish have misunderstood certain portions of scripture dealing with being separate from the "world".

Christ taught us to go out in the world and make disciples (The Great Commission). You claim you have read the Bible cover to cover. I don't think you have. If you did, you wouldn't be asking the question you asked either. Or if you have, you lack understanding.

But you appear not to care about understanding. You think you know it all, and so you would rather bash those who whose knowledge and understanding is superior to yours.

You twist the word of God to justify your beliefs and cover your sin.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yet, the Amish, who view most Christians outside of their world as being apostate don't seem all that concerned about "liberals pushing their beliefs." You don't see them demanding prayer in school, they have their own. You don't see them demanding cross and replicas of the 10 Commandments erected all over the place, they don't care.
This is because they take literally portions of scripture that tell them to not be part of "the world". So, they have isolated themselves. This is really another "salvation by works" form of theology.

But we are saved by Grace through Faith. Not by works, so that no one may boast.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
This if very offensive. I hope one of the moderators will see fit to draw the line and give you an infraction for making such a crude joke.
I agree.

Interesting user name. I like it, because it reminds me of a Christian singing group that went by the name, "Heartsong". They were from one of the colleges. Still have their tapes.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If you're secure in your beliefs, no need/desire to proseletyze.
It has nothing to do with "being secure in your beliefs". The message of the Gospel of Christ is salvation. The Bible teaches that it is God's desire that all should come to him and be saved. However, not all will. The Great Commission of Christ was for believers to go out and make deciples, so that as many as possible might be saved. In other words, it is partly an act of obedience to the word to preach the gospel, pass on the "Good News" which is what Gospel means.

You do not have to accept the message. You do not even have to listen, as you have chosen not to. But that is why Christians do it. It is not because of any lack of security in their faith.

Faith comes by hearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

When I first took to Tantric Bhuddism, being insecure in my beliefs, I wanted everyone to hear me out, convert to my beliefs. I'm now solidly secure in my beliefs, unshakeable and I respond to anyone trying to convert me with smiles, like my evangelical inlaws who've been making futile attempts for decades now.

I was never approached by a Tantric Bhuddist to convert, it just fell in my lap. A trip to India did it. As the saying goes: You don't leave India without being permanently transformed in some way or another.

Visiting an Amish community might do the same.
Doubful.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You don't have an understanding of the Amish, or you wouldn't be asking why Evangelicals or any Christians for that matter, cannot be like them.

It is because the Amish have misunderstood certain portions of scripture dealing with being separate from the "world".

Christ taught us to go out in the world and make disciples (The Great Commission). You claim you have read the Bible cover to cover. I don't think you have. If you did, you wouldn't be asking the question you asked either. Or if you have, you lack understanding.

But you appear not to care about understanding. You think you know it all, and so you would rather bash those who whose knowledge and understanding is superior to yours.

You twist the word of God to justify your beliefs and cover your sin.
I find it ironic that you feel the Amish have mis-interpreted the Bible but you as an Evangelical automatically understand the Bible completely. Seeing as Jesus isn't here, who's to say who is really right? Maybe the Amish have correctly interpreted scripture and you and me are actually going to Hell. In the end it's all Faith and those who presume to know exactly what's right, for themselves and others, tread on dangerous ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity