Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 02:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Not even close...

A variant of certain men, who doubt and are known as unbelievers; but the truth remains that ALL WILL be changed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 03:01 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
Quote:
I did not see a mention of your husband in the order...And your mother actually hurt you by putting you first, the marriage suffered...If they got divorced, that would have hurt even more...
The reason I didn't was because we were talking about children and God, not husbands and children. I didn't want to start another debate. Anyway, we are in agreement

Old 10-15-2010, 03:27 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Quote:
Yea, i bet the word in red is all you see in the meaning of the word...He is also speaking to believers, not ALL men...It means want or desire...You just have poor understanding of what you are reading...

Jesus warned the people against the doctrine of the Pharisees, who are well known to have believed in endless punishment. Matt 16:6;

Even So
"Have we not all one Father? Hath not one God created us?" Mal. 2:10

"Behold, all souls are mine," saith the Lord. "As the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine." Ezek. 18:4

"Ask of me, and I will give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession." Psalms 2:8

"The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand." John 3:35>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"Thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him." John 17:2

God Will Have All Men Be Saved
Through one trespass...
The judgment came
Upon ALL MEN
To condemnation.
"As, by the offense of one, judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one, the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life." (Rom. 5:18)

RECONCILE ALL THINGS UNTO HIMSELF, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven." (Col. 1:19-20)

And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb, forever and ever." (Rev. 5:13)

"Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people." (Luke 2:10)

"We have seen, and do testify, that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world." (1 John 4:14)

"all the ends of the world shall remember, and turn unto the Lord; and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before him." (Psalms 22:27)

"I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death. O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave (or Hell, Sheol), I will be thy destruction." (Hosea 13:14

"God will destroy, in this mountain, the face of the covering cast over all people, and the veil, that is spread over all nations." (Isa. 25:7)

"there was given Him dominion, and glory and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve Him; His dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom, that which shall not be destroyed." (Dan. 7:14)

"This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation. For therefore we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of ALL MEN, specially of those that believe. These things command and teach" (I Tim. 4:9-11).

"Look unto Me, and BE SAVED, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. I HAVE SWORN BY MYSELF, the word is gone out of My mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, that UNTO ME EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW, EVERY TONGUE SHALL SWEAR" (Isa. 45:22-23).

"Wherefore God also has highly exalted Him, and given Him a name which is above every name: that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE SHOULD BOW, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that EVERY TONGUE SHOULD CONFESS that Jesus Christ is Lord, To THE GLORY of God the Father" (Phil. 2:9-11).

Isa. 45:23; "Unto Me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear."

Old 10-15-2010, 03:55 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Yea, i bet the word in red is all you see in the meaning of the word...He is also speaking to believers, not ALL men...It means want or desire...You just have poor understanding of what you are reading...

I hope you didn't bet too much .

The definition means "to determine" The text of the definition also clarifies the common mistake due to the english language having different implications for words that are spelled the same.

The determination of Gods will is indeed a desire, however the word carries the weight of an active option which means it is something he intends to do.

Thelo when applied to Gods will is a declaration of intent to the degree that Gods will can produce. When thelo applied to mans will it also carries the amount of weight that mans will can produce.

The issue concerning context is if Gods will carries more of an absolute possibility than does mans will when it is Gods responsibility to carry out something.

Since salvation is not of us, then it must be of God. So the determination of God to do something he is responsible for is an absolute fact that it will get done.

I'll stick with God being stronger than man since scripture declares that to be so.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:50 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Jesus warned the people against the doctrine of the Pharisees, who are well known to have believed in endless punishment. Matt 16:6;

Even So

"Behold, all souls are mine," saith the Lord. "As the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine." Ezek. 18:4

"Ask of me, and I will give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession." Psalms 2:8

"The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand." John 3:35>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"Thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him." John 17:2

God Will Have All Men Be Saved
Through one trespass...
The judgment came
Upon ALL MEN
To condemnation.
"As, by the offense of one, judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one, the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life." (Rom. 5:18)

RECONCILE ALL THINGS UNTO HIMSELF, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven." (Col. 1:19-20)

And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb, forever and ever." (Rev. 5:13)

"Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people." (Luke 2:10)

"We have seen, and do testify, that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world." (1 John 4:14)

"all the ends of the world shall remember, and turn unto the Lord; and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before him." (Psalms 22:27)

"I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death. O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave (or Hell, Sheol), I will be thy destruction." (Hosea 13:14

"God will destroy, in this mountain, the face of the covering cast over all people, and the veil, that is spread over all nations." (Isa. 25:7)

"there was given Him dominion, and glory and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve Him; His dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom, that which shall not be destroyed." (Dan. 7:14)

"This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation. For therefore we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of ALL MEN, specially of those that believe. These things command and teach" (I Tim. 4:9-11).

"Look unto Me, and BE SAVED, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. I HAVE SWORN BY MYSELF, the word is gone out of My mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, that UNTO ME EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW, EVERY TONGUE SHALL SWEAR" (Isa. 45:22-23).

"Wherefore God also has highly exalted Him, and given Him a name which is above every name: that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE SHOULD BOW, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that EVERY TONGUE SHOULD CONFESS that Jesus Christ is Lord, To THE GLORY of God the Father" (Phil. 2:9-11).

Isa. 45:23; "Unto Me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear."
You are way off...The fact is that the Hebrews did not hold to the concept of an afterlife...This is why the exortation to follow in the ways of the Lord if you wanted a long life....

Last edited by Richard1965; 10-15-2010 at 05:01 PM..

Old 10-15-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I hope you didn't bet too much .

The definition means "to determine" The text of the definition also clarifies the common mistake due to the english language having different implications for words that are spelled the same.

The determination of Gods will is indeed a desire, however the word carries the weight of an active option which means it is something he intends to do.

Thelo when applied to Gods will is a declaration of intent to the degree that Gods will can produce. When thelo applied to mans will it also carries the amount of weight that mans will can produce.

The issue concerning context is if Gods will carries more of an absolute possibility than does mans will when it is Gods responsibility to carry out something.

Since salvation is not of us, then it must be of God. So the determination of God to do something he is responsible for is an absolute fact that it will get done.

I'll stick with God being stronger than man since scripture declares that to be so.
Dude, i speak Greek...you're full of it...

Old 10-15-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You are way off...
That's all you got?

Quote:

Lol. I doubt it, but if you do, you need to work on your English. Comprehension and writing. Just trying to help.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
That's all you got?

Lol. I doubt it, but if you do, you need to work on your English. Comprehension and writing. Just trying to help.
You need to work on yours...seriously....

Old 10-15-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
You need to work on yours...seriously....
Richard, can you tell me what these verses mean? Especially, the first one?

Old 10-15-2010, 05:09 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
You must have lost a bundle on that bet.

Speaking ancient greek has nothing to do with understanding context and usage of a word in that language. That is a false appeal to authority, of which you do not have in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity