Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you willing to die for the Lord, Jesus Christ?
Yes, even if I am tortured 19 54.29%
Yes, only if I have to die quickly with no torment 0 0%
No way 15 42.86%
Can't tell (why?) 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I hate this question because all it does it encourage a bunch of self-aggrandizing chest beating. What's more, your answer is dishonest, because the only possibly honest one for this situation is "I know how I'd like to act, but ultimately I don't know."

Seriously? How do you know what you'll do when faced with that situation? Sure, a lot of us like to think we'd do the right thing. But as we all know, intentions and outcomes are two wholly different things. No less an eminence as Peter chose cowardice and denied Christ three times when the Romans came to cart Him away.

So enough of the moral vanity. Many a self-righteous person has been tested and failed when the time came, while many a sinner has surprised and amazed others by their acts of goodly courage. And no one truly knows until the actual test comes.
I'll add to this by saying that I might consider it if Jesus was a close friend of mine (ie, someone I actually knew like a brother). Then again, I would have considered jumping in front of the bullet meant for MLK too if I knew the man personally. Not saying I would have jumped in front of it, but I would have considered doing it at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'll add to this by saying that I might consider it if Jesus was a close friend of mine (ie, someone I actually knew like a brother). Then again, I would have considered jumping in front of the bullet meant for MLK too if I knew the man personally. Not saying I would have jumped in front of it, but I would have considered doing it at least.
But while I mostly agree with you, I might offer a differing opinion on the example you just gave.

Such decisions are usually split-second in nature, and really are not subject to deliberation. Either you perform an act of bravery or you do not. Either you fight or you run away. Either you step in front of a bullet or you take cover. There's no opportunity to weigh the pros and cons on a sheet of paper.

To me, that's the nonsensical part of some of these answers.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM

694 posts, read 745,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I hate this question because all it does it encourage a bunch of self-aggrandizing chest beating. What's more, if you indeed claim that you would, then your answer is dishonest. After all the only possibly honest one for this situation is "I know how I'd like to act, but ultimately I don't know."

Seriously? How do you know what you'll do when faced with that situation? Sure, a lot of us like to think we'd do the right thing. But as we all know, intentions and outcomes are two wholly different things. No less an eminence as Peter chose cowardice a the moment of truth and denied Christ three times when the Romans came to cart Him away.

So enough of the moral vanity. Many a self-righteous person has been tested and failed when the time came, while many a sinner has surprised and amazed others by their acts of goodly courage. And no one truly knows until the actual test comes.
I agree that no one truly knows until the time comes, but to say that we should not state what amounts to our opinions one way or the other is wrong.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 12-21-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
No way. Why should I die (or want to die) for a stranger that I've never seen in person? This thread is almost scary. Dying for a "belief" has CULT written all over it. The following is what such thinking can lead to.

David Koresh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^^All it takes folks are a few looneys willing to die for their sky man and BOOM, dead adults and children are the result. This post is NOT a joke nor is it a knock against Christianity. It is a simple reality check to those willing to die for any deity. Think about it...
WOW. Another atheist or atheist-like person telling us that we can't think for ourselves. What a surprise! I do understand that no one should take issues like this lightly.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 12-21-2010, 09:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I agree that no one truly knows until the time comes, but to say that we should not state what amounts to our opinions one way or the other is wrong.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
It is perfectly fine to say, "I think I would do this, but I'm not sure."

It is wrong to essentially say, "Yep. I'm sure of myself here." That's boasting.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
No way. Why should I die (or want to die) for a stranger that I've never seen in person? This thread is almost scary. Dying for a "belief" has CULT written all over it. The following is what such thinking can lead to.

^^^All it takes folks are a few looneys willing to die for their sky man and BOOM, dead adults and children are the result. This post is NOT a joke nor is it a knock against Christianity. It is a simple reality check to those willing to die for any deity. Think about it...
So, I take it you would not try to save a stranger's life if that person is a pedestrian with a bus coming at him that he doesn't see or something similar to that where you might be the one to be struck? I can't say I would, but I can't say I wouldn't either.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 12-21-2010, 10:02 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Why on Earth would I give my life for a fully-human, itinerant carpenter who was killed by Roman authorities as a religious insurrectionist 2000 years ago. I mean, sure, JC was a great man and had some fine teachings, but not any moreso than, say, Siddartha Guatama (Buddha); Lao Tsu; Martin Luther King, or His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:

Well being an atheist I don't think you can relate to this at all. Those who believe in the end times and the fact that we are living in them would be more than happy to lose their lives rather than take some mark of the beast. You can't have a conversation or opinion if you don't even believe in God.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:10 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Well being an atheist I don't think you can relate to this at all. Those who believe in the end times and the fact that we are living in them would be more than happy to lose their lives rather than take some mark of the beast. You can't have a conversation or opinion if you don't even believe in God.
Unless, of course, you consider that even those who knew Him the most denied Him when faced with physical harm. This thread is ridiculous.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Well being an atheist I don't think you can relate to this at all.
Agreed!

Quote:
Those who believe in the end times and the fact that we are living in them would be more than happy to lose their lives rather than take some mark of the beast.
I won't comment on your fear of "some mark of the beast". As for the "end times", we all are living in them. It is called life. For some us, life is only a few months after conception; 100 years plus after birth for others. Still, no matter what, we all we see "the end times".

Quote:
You can't have a conversation or opinion if you don't even believe in God.
Even when I did believe in Jesus and God (raised a Catholic) I still would not have died for either of them because I was taught that Jesus's death was the sacrifice to end ALL human sacrifices. Therefore, the thread question "Are you willing to lose your life for the Lord, Jesus Christ?" is moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity