Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:28 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
What believers do not often realize is that even before you came to a realization of what Christ means, God was working and any good and righteous thing you did before that was a perfect gift from God. Your belief never changed it, you can only realize it is true.
IA with the bolded. God uses unbelievers to accomplish his will (Pharoah anyone?).

What changes when you believe is that Christ's righteousness is imputed to you, and now you are righteous before God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Again, you have a misconception of what the Bible teaches. (Where did you get these ideas? Certainly not from the Bible!) Sex is meant to be enjoyed by married couples-it's not just for procreation.

Proverbs 5
Song of Solomon
1 Corinthians 7

*Those first two are rather graphic.

There's nothing wrong with righteous anger. Jesus Himself displayed it.

I understand if you reject Christianity, but make sure you have a clear understanding of it tenets before do so.
My responses have been based on things that I have heard preached here on C-D. I have heard people say that lust is just wrong - that you can have sex but not be lustful. But anyway - my whole point is that any kind of lust - whether you are married or single is natural. It is part of who we are. I just can't feel guilty about lust.

The main reason that I reject Christianity is because I just don't believe in it. But there are many other aspects of it that just don't make sense to me. As for righteous anger - I have seen believers display what they believe to be "righteous anger." I just find it a bit scary. And for me personally - although my husband and I enjoy a good fight as much as anyone - I usually feel worse about myself when I let my temper get the best of me.

The thing is - I live my life by my heart, my conscience, my experiences, basically - everything that is a part of who I am. I simply can't believe in something if I don't believe it to be true. And I could never change my heart - it's just not possible.

I know you see this as me "rejecting" Christianity - but I just see this as me not being a Christian any more than I am a Muslim, a Hindu, or any other religious affiliation.

I just can't see good deeds as being filthy rags unless they are done by a Christian. To me, being a Christian doesn't make you superior to anyone else. We are all human beings. When human beings do good things - I can only see the good.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I completely understand where you're coming from, Dewdrop!
Christendom is mostly fixated on Adam, sin and death, when it ought to be fixated on Christ, justification and Life.
God loves you more than you know!!

Blessings,
brian
One must understand the former before experiencing the latter.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So you said Cornelius was doing what he was doing in anticipation of Christ , and here you are saying we can do nothing good outside of Christ.

Now how do you discern who is anticipating Christ and who isn't, so you can make a judgement whether their good works are acceptable to God or not ?.
These key words in that passage:

"prayed to God regularly"

How can one who rejects God be pleasing to Him?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My responses have been based on things that I have heard preached here on C-D.
That's all I need to read. It's no wonder you're confused!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:59 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times
Quote:
One must understand the former before experiencing the latter.
It might be helpful to understand the result of Adam's disobedience. But Christendom has given the victory to him instead of Christ! And this is because they don't believe that God can "just justify everyone regardless of who they are." It goes against human nature; we humans tend to want revenge, to destroy that which we don't understand or agree with, etc..

I think Dewdrop is not wrong for speaking her heart. God made us a certain way, and that is nothing to be ashamed of. He knows how to bring us to righteousness. It's His job, we just rejoice and give Him thanks for it all!
God made us sinners, and He makes us saints. The work is all HIS.

(Dewdrop: I hope you can hear what I'm saying...!)

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-13-2011, 02:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
That's all I need to read. It's no wonder you're confused!
I don't mean that the reason I'm not Christian is based on C-D - I meant some of the specific things that I was addressing. Such as lust - even when you are married.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:43 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
These key words in that passage:

"prayed to God regularly"

How can one who rejects God be pleasing to Him?
That wasn't what i asked you, i asked how do you discern who is anticipating Christ and who isn't ?, you cannot say prayer , because we pray in secret, so you would never know who is praying and who isn't.

The question was nothing to do with rejecting God, you said this

Quote:
What can we do outside of Christ that is acceptable to God?
And when i referred you to Cornelius and the good works he was doing, you said it was because he was anticipating Christ, and yet in the above quote,you said outside of Christ we can do nothing acceptable to Christ.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
It might be helpful to understand the result of Adam's disobedience. But Christendom has given the victory to him instead of Christ!
Helpful? It's necessary!

Quote:
And this is because they don't believe that God can "just justify everyone regardless of who they are." It goes against human nature; we humans tend to want revenge, to destroy that which we don't understand or agree with, etc..
Yes, God can justify anyone, if they will believe!

Quote:
I think Dewdrop is not wrong for speaking her heart.
IA.

Quote:
God made us a certain way, and that is nothing to be ashamed of. He knows how to bring us to righteousness. It's His job, we just rejoice and give Him thanks for it all!
God made us sinners, and He makes us saints. The work is all HIS.
God made us perfect. He gave us free will. We chose sin over God. He provided a way of escape from the penalty of sin through Jesus' redemptive work on the cross. If we believe, we are free! Universal salvation is not Biblical!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I don't mean that the reason I'm not Christian is based on C-D
I understood whay you meant.

Quote:
I meant some of the specific things that I was addressing. Such as lust - even when you are married.
According to the Bible, it is a sin to lust after someone other than your spouse. Having sexual desire for your spouse is both normal & encouraged in Scripture. I provided specific passages previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity