Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,277 times

Advertisements

Your adding to what he said. He said nothing about entering a different covenant. The New Covenant is his sacrifice for our sins. It's what you believe about that. It's true, in order to enter the Kingdom of Heaven the first and foremost thing is you must believe he paid the price for your sin by the sacrifice he made... and then of course he rose again. But that is not the message in that text, clearly.

24 “Work hard to enter the narrow door to God’s Kingdom, for many will try to enter but will fail. 25 When the master of the house has locked the door, it will be too late. You will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Lord, open the door for us!’ But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’

The narrow door is obviously not believing the New Covenant since believing is not working hard and there's many who believe these things but like he said they won't make it in. The best explanation I can give you is "denying yourself" which means a whole lot more than simply believing in a New Covenant. You can believe all you want but if your not as humble as a child... you won't enter, selfish or pridefull... you won't enter. Useless for the Kingdom of Heaven here on earth... you won't enter.

There is absolutely nothing more important than reading the teachings of Christ like you soul is at stake. There is going to be many people outside that door knocking who would love to go back and study the teachings of Christ one more time, but they had plenty of time. They chose to disobey and keep on sinning. That's the exact opposite of repentance. Notice here he says they were workers of iniquity. You got workers of righteousness - by the power of God, and workers of sin.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, YE THAT WORK INIQUITY. 24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

*Both workers "believed" the New Covenant.

This is why it is EXTREMELY important to close your mind to the teachings of man in this modern age. My guess is you have your group of people you discuss these things with and your being led astray and believing what you "want" to believe. You need to close your mind to them and obey the teachings of Christ, then you'll understand.

And think about this. What if at that door God shows you all the people you led astray and you are part of the reason for them not making it in? How would that make you feel? But what if your part of the reason they made it in, along with you?

Last edited by O-Ducky; 01-11-2011 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It's not.

Jesus is encouraging to "make every effort" to "hear" his word. Because there will come a time when God shuts the door to the opportunity Luke 13:25 ....

after that it will be too late. Luke 13:25-28

Lk 13:30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

It is never too late, this doesn't mean you just skate through, sometimes we have to learn lessons and suffer consequenses before we can enter.

You might think you are first, only to be last.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Adding to what Jesus said Ducky ??????? you're havin a laugh aren't you.

If making every effort to enter the kingdom of God is not adding to the gospel of grace, i don't know what is.

Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body

Do you see that Ducky, the Veil being torn in two represents a new door to go through with confidence, not effort, effort was required under the Old Covenant.

How many different way's does christianity have to enter in.Off the top of my head, i can think of choose,effort,decide,say a prayer, be baptized,cry like a baby, the list goes on. No wonder Insane,Asheville and Rifleman have a field day on here taking christians to the cleaners.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Luke 13:24

Why do we believe this is about believing in Jesus ?. What is Jesus talking about here ?.

Make every effort to enter into Jesus ? . Sounds like a works based teaching to me, like many other religions.

Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body Hebrews 10:19:20.

This sounds more like it to me, entering by confidence, rather than effort.

We all try everyday to enter the kingdom through the wide gate, we all like the easy and convenient means to become better than we were yesterday.

However, we all learn, regardless of what you believe, that becoming better than you once was requires work and sacrifice, that it is not easy and it requires more of you than you often want to give.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:

Why do we believe this is about believing in Jesus ?. What is Jesus talking about here ?.

Make every effort to enter into Jesus ? . Sounds like a works based teaching to me, like many other religions.

Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body Hebrews 10:19:20.

A. E. Knoch, in the Concordant Commentary wrote this concerning Luke 13:23,24:

"23 The Lord avoids a direct answer to the question, and turns the
questioner's thoughts upon himself. It would seem that at this time, the
wide gates into the kingdom had been closed, and access could be had
only through the private entrances, which are locked when evening
comes. The proclamation of the kingdom had opened the gates wide up to
this time, and it was easy to enter by repentance and baptism. But at this
crisis the proclamation was withdrawn, hence many of those who
struggled could not enter. By no means should this parable be applied
indiscriminately to the evangel, either of the kingdom or of the grace of
God. God's good news is never
narrow or cramped. In the tabernacle in the wilderness the gate, which
opened into the court where the altar and laver were stationed, was very
wide, and the entrance into the holy place occupied the whole front side
of the tent. It could not have been wider. These were types of the way
of God during the proclamation of the kingdom. The evangel for today is
wider still, for it embraces all nations and imposes no conditions. Faith in
God's word cannot be obtained by any struggle. Neither is there any
reluctance on God's part, but He is beseeching all men to be conciliated.
This can be understood of those only who have neglected to enter while
the wide gates of the kingdom evangel were open, and now seek an
entrance after the proclamation has been closed."

Old 01-12-2011, 08:21 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,220 times
Quote:

I was just coming to the same conclusion before I read your last line!!

I believe Jesus is telling us that many will believe that they are trying to make it in on their own efforts, and will find they are not getting in, because they should be only trusting in God's mercy and grace to do it for them. It's all God's work, He gets the glory. Ours is to wait, trust and praise Him all the way!

Just a thought anyway..

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
We all try everyday to enter the kingdom through the wide gate, we all like the easy and convenient means to become better than we were yesterday.

However, we all learn, regardless of what you believe, that becoming better than you once was requires work and sacrifice, that it is not easy and it requires more of you than you often want to give.
Phaze i gave up every effort of trying to be a better person a long long time ago,i was a miserable no good christian and continually beat myself up because of my failure, then it dawned upon me that i was accepted in the beloved, and due to that today I am who i am by the grace of God, and any change taking place in me for the better is down to him changing the way i think. I do not have a mentality of being a better person, that way of thinking failed for me.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I was just coming to the same conclusion before I read your last line!!

I believe Jesus is telling us that many will believe that they are trying to make it in on their own efforts, and will find they are not getting in, because they should be only trusting in God's mercy and grace to do it for them. It's all God's work, He gets the glory. Ours is to wait, trust and praise Him all the way!

Just a thought anyway..

Blessings,
brian
Hey Brian

What don't you agree with the last line ?.

Maybe i didn't explain myself, under the old covenant we made an effort and strived to enter in, when the old covenant became obsolete, and the new covenant was established , we now enter in through the confidence of what he accomplished for us, and under this new covenant we meet God ourselves in the holy of holies.To me that is mind blowing.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Phaze i gave up every effort of trying to be a better person a long long time ago,i was a miserable no good christian and continually beat myself up because of my failure, then it dawned upon me that i was accepted in the beloved, and due to that today I am who i am by the grace of God, and any change taking place in me for the better is down to him changing the way i think. I do not have a mentality of being a better person, that way of thinking failed for me.
pcamps, I saw a church sign that said:

When Satan reminds you of your past
Remind him of his future.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I'm not denying that you have found peace in your life, so the following is more how I relate to what you have said.

The problem comes from having an expectation of time in relationship to effort. Of course you and I felt that way in the institution of religion because it builds false promises.

The bible supports the effort to become better or there would be no running of the race, God is not running it for you completely or there is no point in the verses for personal effort. Jesus did not tell the prostitute, God will cause you to sin no more, Jesus at the point of her realizing she could trust him, told her a truth of possibility.

What God wants us to know is the joy we can have through the journey and failure from trying is nothing to be ashamed of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity