Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 AM

381 posts, read 799,064 times

Advertisements

i know what 1 Cor 11:20- 40 says but a friend leading a bible study insist it doesn't matter.... the scripture is pretty clear to me....judge yourself and no partake in an unworthy manner...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,274,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post
i know what 1 Cor 11:20- 40 says but a friend leading a bible study insist it doesn't matter.... the scripture is pretty clear to me....judge yourself and no partake in an unworthy manner...
Dave, that is an excellent question you pose. This came up not long ago in the congregation I belong to.

I think we need to consider who 1 Corinthians is written to. Those words in chapter 11 are meant for believers, not unbelievers.

If a stranger comes into the assembly, I don't think it would be right to not offer them the Lord's Supper. I can only imagine denying them, or passing them by, would cause them to never return. We surely don't want that.

We need to be patient with the unbeliever. We need to give them time to learn. There will come a time and opportunity to point out the truth to them, and they will see it for themselves.

That's my HO.

Katie

Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Why . . . like the Pharisees . . . place obstacles to receiving the Lord?

Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
From my perspective, we take communion (although I don't call it that) to renew the covenants we made with Jesus Christ when we were baptized, so technically, a person would have to be baptized for the communion to be meaningful in the way in which it was intended. In the real world, no one who was to attend an LDS worship service would be prohibited from taking it if he or she wished to.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Judge/examine yourself. How does that fit with "letting" or "not letting" someone else partake? And I'd like to know who you think should get to decide what it means to take it in an "unworthy manner"? There are a whole lot of opinions out there, so who gets the final say-so? The passage itself seems to answer that question: examine yourself.

I'm an atheist, and I partake, for reasons that have to do with LOVE and communion. Sue me.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
If anyone is telling you that God's Word or something in it doesn't matter then I would advise you to find another bible study.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
No!! That is blasphemy!! I don't even take communion because I feel unworthy!! You must be clean of all sin and unrighteousness when you take communion or you curse yourself by the wrath of God!!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
No!! That is blasphemy!! I don't even take communion because I feel unworthy!! You must be clean of all sin and unrighteousness when you take communion or you curse yourself by the wrath of God!!

Well, you already think that an unbeliever is cursed by God to everlasting torment, so, how much more cursed can they be by "letting" them partake of communion?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Okay, responding to this on a more important level than my last post, allen .... don't you as a Christian believe that you have been cleansed of sin because of Jesus? Why would you feel that God would curse you for partaking in something that Jesus said was to be done in remembrance of him and what he did for you?

Allen, if you look at that whole passage in context, you'll see that Paul's concern was in the way the people were treating each other when they gathered together. They were selfish and divided and treating each other, especially the poor, badly. It says they weren't "discerning the body". Well, to what body was he referring? From the passage, it's clear that he was talking about the body of Christ. And what is the body of Christ according to your Scripture: all those in Christ (see 1 Cor 12:12, just a few short verses later)-- in other words, the very people you're gathering with. That's what you need to examine then, allen ... how are you treating those with whom you are partaking of the meal? If you're treating others with non-love, being selfish and greedy, then by all means, STOP it. No need to be . Just stop, and love others.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:15 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,274,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Okay, responding to this on a more important level than my last post, allen .... don't you as a Christian believe that you have been cleansed of sin because of Jesus? Why would you feel that God would curse you for partaking in something that Jesus said was to be done in remembrance of him and what he did for you?

Allen, if you look at that whole passage in context, you'll see that Paul's concern was in the way the people were treating each other when they gathered together. They were selfish and divided and treating each other, especially the poor, badly. It says they weren't "discerning the body". Well, to what body was he referring? From the passage, it's clear that he was talking about the body of Christ. And what is the body of Christ according to your Scripture: all those in Christ -- in other words, the very people you're gathering with. That's what you need to examine then, allen ... how are you treating those with whom you are partaking of the meal? If you're treating others with non-love, being selfish and greedy, then by all means, STOP it. No need to be . Just stop, and love others.
This is a most excellent answer you gave here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity