Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times

Advertisements

I Corinthians 6:1-8 Why are lawsuits discouraged? What do these verses mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 09:41 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
I understand it to mean that we should not be involved in any kind of lawsuit at all. However, it seems like it is even MORE apprehensible for a believer to sue another believer.
We should be able to solve matters in a civil way. Today's society makes that nearly impossible. But, we need to stop and think...did Jesus SUE anyone for unjustly crucifying Him on the cross? I think not.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:45 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Lightbulb Thinking.... Thinking...

Let me see if I can help clarify this passage from how I read it.

Clearly what I get as the main theme is that believers who have a dispute with believers should work it out amongst themselves. The author is saying that we saints (because we believe in Christ, through Him we are saints) should settle matters ourselves. If the two parties are unable to agree to a settlement, then another believer should determine how to settle the matter. And as saints, we should be able to make judgements such as these, because we've been given the authority to do so through our belief in Christ.

I think he's saying we should be above petty lawsuits. As believers we're already supposed to be doing the right thing. If you owe money, pay it. If you've wronged someone, make it right. It should be an automatic given that whatever wrong a believer has done to another believer should be rectified without needing to go before a Judge in the first place.

IMO, I think this is for minor disputes or "small claims court" if you will. As believers we should be obeying the Law as it is and I don't think this applies to crimes such as murder or something serious like that because it said "trivial matters". It could be reminding them of Exodus 22:1-14.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:50 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Let me see if I can help clarify this passage from how I read it.

Clearly what I get as the main theme is that believers who have a dispute with believers should work it out amongst themselves. The author is saying that we saints (because we believe in Christ, through Him we are saints) should settle matters ourselves. If the two parties are unable to agree to a settlement, then another believer should determine how to settle the matter. And as saints, we should be able to make judgements such as these, because we've been given the authority to do so through our belief in Christ.

I think he's saying we should be above petty lawsuits. As believers we're already supposed to be doing the right thing. If you owe money, pay it. If you've wronged someone, make it right. It should be an automatic given that whatever wrong a believer has done to another believer should be rectified without needing to go before a Judge in the first place.

IMO, I think this is for minor disputes or "small claims court" if you will. As believers we should be obeying the Law as it is and I don't think this applies to crimes such as murder or something serious like that because it said "trivial matters". It could be reminding them of Exodus 22:1-14.
Sorry mams...gotta spread it around some more

Great post though!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
If the two parties are unable to agree to a settlement, then another believer should determine how to settle the matter.
Does this mean that Christians should refuse to be part of a trial if the judge is not also a Christian?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:13 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
Does this mean that Christians should refuse to be part of a trial if the judge is not also a Christian?
I don't think I would take it to mean that. I think it means for something like, for example, hypothetically, one believer comes to your house to do some repair work. You owe him money - maybe just for materials. You, also a believer, say you're not going to pay, it was just a favor. This type of dispute, according to how I read the passage, should be settled between the two parties involved, without taking them to the local magistrate. If they can't settle it between themselves, they they should turn to another believer to make the decision and then stick with what that believer decides.

What I'm also saying is that IMO it shouldn't come to that in the first place, because as believers we're to do the right thing from the start.

As far as being called for jury duty, I don't think Christians should have a problem with that, whether or not the Judge is Christian or not. As a juror, you are passing judgement on the person's actions, not on their souls or eternal resting place.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Default actions produce reactions

What Jesus wants... is for us to impart love, even when we are accused. This is the ultimate message that He wants us to witness. Many will say "Who would do such a thing"? Most would think they would be crazy... but think of the gears churning in the head of the accuser!

How could he explain this? where would his head be? and then... the questions would be sure to follow. The intent is to impart love, out of acts of kindness and consideration... and hopefully plant the seed of the Holy Spirit.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:15 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
I think this scripture is more focused that that. It is a letter written to a church berating them for their poor example. They are being chastised for taking their petty squabbles public and thus poorly representing the life Jesus commanded.

If someone who is a follower of Christ cannot make peace among fellow believers, what does that say about the christian life and belief? It is better that the church handle it's own internal disputes and that it's members deal with fellow members privately, outside the view of non-believers, so that their example to others will be more exemplary.

I do not think that this is a commandment to the general christian to avoid lawsuits or courts. It is an admonishment to work together as christians to avoid the need for them as much as possible.

The advice that we will judge angels is a reminder that when we act in faith we have more wisdom than we think we do and should be able to judge appropriately as long as we maintain that mindset. When we judge from a secular mindset, we fall prey to less than ideal values and moral and judge less effectively or justly.

There is another verse, that I cannot recall the location at the moment, where it is suggested that if you owe someone you should go immediately and pay them double lest they sue you. I think that is also not an indictment of the legal system as much as it is an order to be upfront and honest in all your dealings. If you have a debt, then it must be honored promptly and if you fail to do that you need to do whatever it takes to make up for your failure to do so. What makes a disappointed person happier than a voluntary penalty paid by the guilty party?

If I go into a store to complain about being charged too much for an item, I am always pleased when they refund the money I paid and give me the item at no charge (we are talking grocery store in this example). That in effect is paying me double since I now have all my money I was going to pay plus the merchandise.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I think this scripture is more focused that that. It is a letter written to a church berating them for their poor example. They are being chastised for taking their petty squabbles public and thus poorly representing the life Jesus commanded.

If someone who is a follower of Christ cannot make peace among fellow believers, what does that say about the christian life and belief? It is better that the church handle it's own internal disputes and that it's members deal with fellow members privately, outside the view of non-believers, so that their example to others will be more exemplary.

I do not think that this is a commandment to the general christian to avoid lawsuits or courts. It is an admonishment to work together as christians to avoid the need for them as much as possible.

The advice that we will judge angels is a reminder that when we act in faith we have more wisdom than we think we do and should be able to judge appropriately as long as we maintain that mindset. When we judge from a secular mindset, we fall prey to less than ideal values and moral and judge less effectively or justly.
Right on! Totally agree.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:57 AM

204 posts, read 508,024 times
LOL Forget the lawsuit stuff, I think Paul was letting the church in Corinth ‘have it’ because they obviously couldn’t get their act together. That’s the big picture here.

I can see old Paul now saying…

One day YOUR going to have the responsibility of judging ANGELS. Can’t you take care of your petty arguments now? I mean how are you going to judge an angel, you folks can’t even settle an argument amongst yourselves! So-and-So said this about me, and what not. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves! We are Christians, we’re suppose to be setting an example for the outside world! This is no way to behave! An unbeliever will look at you folks and think that you’re no better off than he is! The Devil is sitting back grinning watching you behave like this! GET IT TOGETHER!

My favorite part was :“Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers?”…that to me almost translates to “is it possible that ALL of you are idiots?” lol

Boy he let them have it didn’t he. Read that scripture again, and you can almost HEAR the yelling in his voice! Boy I wouldn’t want to get on Paul’s bad side. He could set you straight real quick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity