Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:05 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Look--WalMart is El Cheepo Depot. As things are at this moment (although changing--the wife went to work today making bookoo bucks!) we have no choice BUT to shop at the cheapest place we can find...which is Wally World! I personally hate WalMart, if only because it's always super crowded and it's huge and it takes years to get outta there...but it's something of a necessary evil right now. That's just how it is. Small income + 3 kids under the age of 4 = WalMart. Period!
Jeff, find a nearby Meijer. You'll be glad you made the switch. They're pretty close in price, and they're Michigan based.

Personally I can't stand Wal-Mart, not because of their so-called labor abuses, but because they're like a giant dirty flea market (at least here in Michigan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 PM

18 posts, read 47,937 times
I thinks most Christians are not informed on the practices of most businesses; which they should be. Some don't care. Some pick Walmart because it's the cheapest and the economy is not good. Some go there because it seems like there is one in almost every neighborhoood. We really need to pray and seek God on ALL of our decisions, even though He gave us free will, He still knows best. I have personally prayed and asked Him to help me sort out the mess in my finances so I can make the best (healthiest/natural) choices for my family. I did receive an answer(plan) which is currently in place now!
Walmart is one of the reasons why more Christians need to own businesses!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:36 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Jeff, find a nearby Meijer. You'll be glad you made the switch. They're pretty close in price, and they're Michigan based.

Personally I can't stand Wal-Mart, not because of their so-called labor abuses, but because they're like a giant dirty flea market (at least here in Michigan).
Evidently you missed my posts in the Michigan forum about Meijer--my experience hasn't been positive, and I find them to be far more expensive.

Goodbye Farmer Jacks

Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times
Define "ethically". If you mean am I shopping by YOUR definition of "ethical", then I would probably fail. And you know something? YOU would, too. I defy anyone to shop 100% ethically. We all buy gas--from oil companies that rape the land. We all buy any number of items that can, at some point, be traced to some form of negative corporate behavior. Your claims of not wanting to "inflame" anyone doesn't wash with me. It sounds like you're trying to propagate a social agenda.

Like I said, "ethical" is a personal definition. I've shopped at Wal-Mart and I'm not ashamed. I've shopped at companies that are considered to be at the pinnacle of environmental and human rights issues. Whose definition are you using?

The fact is, God gives us a free will to do the best we can with our own decisions and our monies. He's not up there putting black marks next to our names because we bought a pair of Nikes (I own seven and I'm not ashamed).

Old 10-21-2007, 06:23 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,155 times
I have to agree with bobmulk. It would be nearly impossible to buy anything if we avoided every company that did something we were morally or ethically opposed to. We'd all have to move to an island in the middle of the ocean and grow our own food, as well as make our own clothes and shelters from the resources on that island.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:46 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I am asking this with candour and not to inflame anyone. But is it possible to consider yourself Christian if you buy from multi national corporations who violate human rights, employ children and adults in appalling and slave conditions.

Would Jesus for example shop at Wal-Mart or buy Nike sneakers should he walk the earth now ? Would not a man of peace who preached love and tolerance be the first one calling for a boycott of non ethically traded goods ? Would he not fight for the right of the people who are exploited and trafficked every day in the name of greed ?

Isn't part of being a Christian, ensuring that human rights and human dignity is preserved in the domestic and foreign trade markets ? If god created the earth and humans isn't it our duty to do everything in our power to ensure that justice prevails and good stewardship of the earth is respected.

I am interested to find out what Christian posters feel about the issue. If we ignore the plight of others and allow such unprincipled commerce because it is either cheaper or more convenient aren't we being greedy or slothful as well as condoning an evil trade ?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." — Jesus (c. 5 B.C. - A.D. 32 ) in the Gospels, Matthew 7:12, Matthew 22:39, Luke 6:31, Luke 10:2

I was wondering whether your Churches are active in lobbying corporations and governments and do you try your utmost to avoid goods produced in slave conditions or which are environmentally destructive for example?
I know that some Baptist churches have boycotted Wal-Mart and that Churches in the UK have been actively involved in the Fair Trade Campaign. Which denominations in your opinion are the most active in ethical shopping?

What is your take on this ?

ASDA Wal-Mart : Corporate Crimes
Can Christians Shop at Wal-Mart in Good Conscience (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/christians_shop.php - broken link)
Wake-Up Wal-Mart Blog: Would Jesus Shop at Wal-Mart? (http://blog.wakeupwalmart.com/ufcw/2006/12/would_jesus_sho.html - broken link)
Adventures in Ethical Consumerism: Ten Worst Corporations of 2004
Nike's Labor Practices - Business Ethics Case Studies - ICMR (http://www.icmr.icfai.org/casestudies/catalogue/Business%20Ethics/BECG018.htm - broken link)

For anyone interested in ethical shopping :

ethical shopping information for the ethical consumer
My take is this; How do I know when I'm purchasing merchandise; that it is made from such evil and greed by the exploitation of children and adults alike?
I hate it also. But if Jesus were to walk the earth right now, which he won't in the flesh; He would have authority to change everything. But as far as what goods are manufactured ; mooseketeer ; How can I really answer this honestly, because I believe that many things we consume as Americans; I have no idea where it came from ie: the spices that go into the ingredients that are in some of the foods that we consume when we eat in public places. China?? South America??
But Thanks for the links;
Thanks to the Americans who moved our industries and jobs to foreign soil; I don't know a lot about it so I won't show my ignorance in this matter; but I will read up on it; so I can better understand why.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:50 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twill View Post
I thinks most Christians are not informed on the practices of most businesses; which they should be. Some don't care. Some pick Walmart because it's the cheapest and the economy is not good. Some go there because it seems like there is one in almost every neighborhoood. We really need to pray and seek God on ALL of our decisions, even though He gave us free will, He still knows best. I have personally prayed and asked Him to help me sort out the mess in my finances so I can make the best (healthiest/natural) choices for my family. I did receive an answer(plan) which is currently in place now!
Walmart is one of the reasons why more Christians need to own businesses!
I thought that the founder Sam Walmart was a Christian

Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
If Christ were around today and someone asked Him, "Should I shop at Walmart?", He'd ask them "You can't buy things that bring you closer to God. You can only buy things that carry you farther from Him. The things that matter aren't sitting on a shelf in a store."

The question should be what are you buying, not where you should buy it. Is $20 spent on a DVD a better use of God's resources than $20 spent on charity? Is it wiser to work longer hours to make more money to buy nicer or more things if that means you spend less time with your family or your community? Is it more important for us to have 5 purses, 20 pairs of shoes and 28 shirts, or for the sick and elderly to be taken care of?

We buy stuff for our own egos and hedonistic desires. We rarely buy stuff that we truly need.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
To have free will = to be responsible for your actions.
You are responsible for the causes you support with your money. If you do not make any effort to find out if the companies you buy from are kosher, you are saying that you find it more convenient to turn a blind eye whenever evil is done than to stop evil.

If the Jews can insist on kosher food, why can’t Christians insist on kosher trade?

Old 10-23-2007, 05:38 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
If Christ were around today and someone asked Him, "Should I shop at Walmart?", He'd ask them "You can't buy things that bring you closer to God. You can only buy things that carry you farther from Him. The things that matter aren't sitting on a shelf in a store."

The question should be what are you buying, not where you should buy it. Is $20 spent on a DVD a better use of God's resources than $20 spent on charity? Is it wiser to work longer hours to make more money to buy nicer or more things if that means you spend less time with your family or your community? Is it more important for us to have 5 purses, 20 pairs of shoes and 28 shirts, or for the sick and elderly to be taken care of?

We buy stuff for our own egos and hedonistic desires. We rarely buy stuff that we truly need.

This sounds about right to me. But did you have to go to purses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity