Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:32 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times

Advertisements

I was beginning to think I killed this thread because no one else was posting to it. But, since I was asked to finish my story, I think the best thing to do is just link to it: http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...mormonism.html

I know that many Christians will dismiss my story because my relationship with God was in the context of Mormonism, and therefore it was nothing like theirs, it was not with the true God, the thing that I thought God had told me was true is something the "true" God would never tell someone in the first place, etc. But, the point is my relationship with God was as real to me as any Christian's relationship with God is to them (acknowledging that we can never know exactly what another person's personal experience is like).

Many Muslims also believe they have a very close, personal relationship with God as well. The sincerity, the intensity, and the quality of those relationships with God are the same, and the transformative power on their lives. People of other religions may have that same type of relationship with their dead ancestors, or with the Saints, or with the spirits of Mother Earth, etc. Although it is possible that all of those entities are real and people could in actuality be having relationships with them, I have reason to believe that none of them are real, nor are the relationships, but the entities and relationships have been invented by their human minds. Belief in them is still very powerful, and just like many other beliefs, they have the ability to shape our behavior for the good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 05:06 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I was beginning to think I killed this thread because no one else was posting to it.
It does tend to put a damper on discussion when you ask for something and then characterize it as "all in our minds," Hueff. I am not quite sure why what is "all in our minds" is necessarily a dismissal of its reality. The products of the mind . . . comprised of energy as they must be . . . are very bit as real as anything comprised of "matter," IMO. But that is for another thread. You are familiar with how I came from atheism to theism in a single moment in deep meditation. It was a life-changing experience that began with an unexpected yet unmistakable relationship. So my story is not really what you are asking for, I think.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:26 PM

316 posts, read 560,347 times
What this means is that you take time to sit in His presence and meditate on prayer, on His passion, and in return, you grow spiritually stronger both on the inside and out. It means that you can be any where and begin praying to Him, and He will be in your heart. A personal relationship means that you think about God. You follow His teachings. You pray. He is a big part of your life = a relationship.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:21 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It does tend to put a damper on discussion when you ask for something and then characterize it as "all in our minds," Hueff. I am not quite sure why what is "all in our minds" is necessarily a dismissal of its reality. The products of the mind . . . comprised of energy as they must be . . . are very bit as real as anything comprised of "matter," IMO. But that is for another thread. You are familiar with how I came from atheism to theism in a single moment in deep meditation. It was a life-changing experience that began with an unexpected yet unmistakable relationship. So my story is not really what you are asking for, I think.
I did not ask for anything. Did you think I started this thread? I joined the thread to respond to Mr. 5150 (or whatever his number is) when he talked about atheist arguments.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:48 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
God is real and his spirit is with all his children. Talking to God and sharing thoughts with him is what he sent his son, the purpose to fellowship with us .

All is known by God and he can see our needs before we do. God comforts and lifts us up when there is a burden. His love is always there and his understanding and guidance is overflowing.

Even when we feel that we have missed the mark, his love will cover us when we speak to him on all that we think and do. God is our Daddy. Abba Father.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:02 AM

234 posts, read 238,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
What do people mean when they say they have a personal relationship with God?

Do you mean you know what God is like (how do you know)?
Yes, I know what God is like, for 2 reasons. First the scriptures tell us, secondly, my experience of Him in my life confirms what the scriptures say.

Quote:
Do you mean you talk to God in your head, and He talks back?
Yes, and aloud privately and corporately in church. He replies in a variety of ways. First, by reminding me of certain passages of scripture which provide the answer I need. Secondly through providence, and thirdly, through a 'still small voice' in my spirit.

Quote:
Do you mean you feel His presence?
Every day, all day.
Quote:
Do you mean you spend a lot of time in prayer and those prayers are sometimes answered (or not)?
Allow me to tell of an answer to prayer not long after I first became a Christian over 30 years ago. I had been living in a place for over a year some 300 miles from my hometown. After becoming a Christian there, a friend said she felt that God was telling her to tell me that I ought to move back to my hometown. I considered this, and prayed myself along these lines and asked that in some way He confirm this message. He did so a couple of days later through a visiting preacher who half way through his sermon stopped, paused, looked about and said exactly the same words my friend had. The spirit in me leaped and I accepted this as God's message for me. Remember, I was just a new Christian, I did not know the scriptures, my prayer life and experience of how God works was extremely limited, but I trusted Him and placed my life in His hands, because I believed He loved me.
I resigned my job at the end of that week, packed my few possessions into the station wagon and drove back to the other side of the island.I was heading back to my mum's house, but knew I couldn't stay there long because it was too small. And I didn't have a job to go to, but I trusted God for both. In fact, I even asked God for a very specific job. Not only did I name the firm, but the position within that firm. I did not believe God would move me anywhere without providing for me ahead of time, and I was confident enough in His love to also believe that He would give me the desires of my heart, so long as they agreed with His desires. It was His Spirit I believe that prompted me to pray the way I did. I arrived in town Friday night, Good Friday, so there was no paper that day to check the situations vacant. I had to wait for the Saturday edition and sure enough, that job was advertised. I started Tuesday morning.
God answers prayer. This particular answer is 'providence'.

Not all prayers are answered as spectacularly as this. But they are answered, sometimes with "yes', sometimes "no", sometimes "not yet".
Quote:
Do you mean you feel thankful because you are saved (from whatever you think you need saving from)?
I am thankful for everything. Not just salvation, but for life itself. For the air I breathe, my wife and children, the food I eat, the work He has given me to do, my friends, even for the difficult times I go through because it is through them He strengthens my character. I thank Him for the flowers in the field, the fragrance of damp earth, the stars at night.
I thank Him for everything.
Quote:
Or do you just mean you read the bible a lot?
I read the Bible yes, but not enough. My life is full, and frankly there are too many distractions that take a priority over my Bible study which shouldn't. That is something I am working on.I could spend more time reading the Bible instead of being here to be honest.
Quote:
Or something else?
Actually, there is much much more. My relationship with Him involves everything I do.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:32 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Let the same mind that was in Christ be in you, is what relationship means to me. In otherwords thinking how God does.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 AM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Let the same mind that was in Christ be in you, is what relationship means to me. In otherwords thinking how God does.
Amen!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:45 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen!
And the award for best answer goes to...

Thanks pcamps.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
In my honest opinion as an ex-Christina: Blame God... that's basically what "personal relationship" means. That you are not responcible for your beliefs and that everything bad that happens in your life is in God's plan for good. I think there is a word for it in Psychology... like "external control" or something, the statics say it isn't as healthy as taking responcibility for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity