Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 02:55 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,888,562 times

Advertisements

As we get into our "golden years" our health (not always, but generally) tends to go into decline. My wife and I have noticed our medical bills skyrocketing in the last several years. Some of us have health insurance coverage, but many do not. These days, just one bill from the doctor, or hospital, can devastate one's life savings and destroy your retirement.

Therefore: the question: I have recently heard about "Christian not-for-profit health insurance, medical bill sharing" outfits on the internet. (do a Google search for Christian health insurance) I have no idea which ones are legit, which ones might be just regular insurance companies "posing in sheeps' clothing", and which ones might be a complete scam. Do any of you have experience with any of them? Your thoughts on whether these are a good (or bad) idea? Should I just forget about this and stick with my (outrageously expensive) regular health insurance?

Thanks,
Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 03:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,202,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
As we get into our "golden years" our health (not always, but generally) tends to go into decline. My wife and I have noticed our medical bills skyrocketing in the last several years. Some of us have health insurance coverage, but many do not. These days, just one bill from the doctor, or hospital, can devastate one's life savings and destroy your retirement.

Therefore: the question: I have recently heard about "Christian not-for-profit health insurance, medical bill sharing" outfits on the internet. (do a Google search for Christian health insurance) I have no idea which ones are legit, which ones might be just regular insurance companies "posing in sheeps' clothing", and which ones might be a complete scam. Do any of you have experience with any of them? Your thoughts on whether these are a good (or bad) idea? Should I just forget about this and stick with my (outrageously expensive) regular health insurance?

Thanks,
Bud
I would research any company carefully. There are plenty of people who don't seem to feel guilty at using the name of Jesus as a marketing tool, when they are only in it for a profit. Even if it is a "Christian" company, what does that mean? Are they Christians simply running a secular business? Is there some difference in the services they offer because of their faith? Or is "Christian" just a lable put on the whole thing?

Old 08-22-2007, 03:41 PM

320 posts, read 297,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post

Thanks,
Bud
Dear Bud,

I hope the federal government takes notice at the millions of people going through your situation and enforces some kind of universal health care plan. As for not-for-profit health insurance, I haven't heard much about them, so I wouldn't trust the first one that sounds great. Do some research on the companies before you spend your hard-earned dollars, even if they put the word "Christian" in their name.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,521,759 times
I don't know, Bud, I glanced through some of the sites. Some of them were obvious scams: send money, we will pray for you, or send money and we will send you a book with healing verses..I am just very skeptical of any business that operates advertising they are christians or do business with christians only..I am not saying that there aren't any out there, just that I haven't heard of any..If your years are "golden enough" and you are on or soon will be on SS there are many supplemental policies out there that are approved by medicare. I would check with your state resources and see what it has to offer if any thing..I hope that there may be someone here who knows first hand about Christian Health Ins. plans..You may have more luck with this in the retirement forum. or Health and Wellness forum..If you do come across a legitimate plan, let me know, because I am already a "Golden Girl" and may need this when our Blue Cross runs out from his retirement package.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:14 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,819,374 times
I haven't heard of any of those companies before. But if you really want to reasearch them then call your state's department of insurance. Any legitimate company will be listed with them as well as low cost alternatives. AARP is also a good resource for insurance company information. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:20 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,194,782 times
Multiply your monthly premium by 12 and then add up all that the insurance company paid to doctors and hospitals last year. You may be in for a surprise.

Remember that Medicare only pays 80% of the APPROVED amount. You (or your insurance company) pays the remaining 20%.

Medicare approves less and less of the total amount and the hospital or doctor is not supposed to bill for more than the approved amount. You really have to have enormous bills before your 20% would add up to more than your premium.

We saw the light when I had to have two surgeries one year. The amount paid by insurance was STILL less than the premiums.

However, if you have a lot of continuing illnesses, you may feel more secure with insurance. Peace of mind is worth a lot! Stay with the well known companies. It may cost a little more but usually you get better service and coverage. Don't pay for thing you don't need like overseas treatment or organ transplants.
Take Care

Old 08-22-2007, 07:55 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,819,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Don't pay for thing you don't need like overseas treatment or organ transplants.
This to me is funny because I always want to include every possibility in my policy....that way I know I'm covered for it and won't ever need it. I am convinced once I take organ transplant off my heart will give out and I will need one. I know silly but I feel better being prepared for anything.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:38 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,701 times
What premium do you pay for Medicare Part A?

For Mediare Part A:
Premiums
Most Medicare enrollees do not pay a monthly Part A premium, because they (or a spouse) have had 40 or more quarters in which they paid Federal Insurance Contributions Act taxes.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:14 PM

292 posts, read 934,363 times
Hi Bud,
I know what type of thing your talking about. A church we used to attend once handed out flyers about one. Where they will tell you what family is in need and you pray and send the amount the Lord shows you. I have often wondered the same thing. Should we go this route or not?
The best thing to do would be of course first to pray and seek the Lord in this. If you are feeling led to do such a thing then ask around as you are about them. The word does say there is wisdom in a multitude of counselors!
I have seen God move both ways. Those that have insurance having all things covered and then I once witnessed a woman with breast cancer having her entire bill paid and she had NO insurance.
Either way the Lord is our provider. If you follow the way you believe He is leading you can't go wrong!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:03 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,891 times
If I ever wanted to make millions, I'd open a business and toss the word Christian in front of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity