Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:39 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times

Advertisements

I have always been very introspective. I think it is a must - though I also think you can be introspective to a fault. Everything has to be balanced which is a lot like treading water spiritually. I think a lot about both the world around me and the world inside me.

I've been watching Investigation Discovery channel. Watching it makes me realize that often times people do not even understand why they do the bad things they do. One can get themselves into such a tangled web when they fail to be inwardly honest. Which is why I know I need God constantly. I love that song "I need Thee Every Hour". It takes a constant abiding with Him to keep us safe and clean. Otherwise, we are left to our own devices and they are many and our own devices will get us into trouble over and over again.

So anyhow, I watched several programs, a couple about people who murdered spouses for money (that happens more than I thought!). And I watched one about those who research the minds of serial killers. Scarey stuff! Watching this channel led me to think about making a Top Ten list of things I fear the most. I thought I'd open up and post it here and perhaps some others might like to arrange and share their Top Ten Fears list. It's an exercise in introspection. This list could probably change from one day to the next. Here's my list:

Top Ten Things I Fear (in order of most to least):

1. Losing my faith
2. Losing a child
3. Losing a friend
4. Being Severely Tortured Physically
5. Being Burned Alive
6. Being Attacked by a wild/deadly Animal
7. Plane Crash
8. Famine
9 Natural Disasters
10. War
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:54 PM

488 posts, read 1,251,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post

1. Losing my faith
2. Losing a child
3. Losing a friend
5. Being Burned Alive
7. Plane Crash
8. Famine
9 Natural Disasters
10. War
The last three are coming to the earth for these things must come to pass.. of course what we see on earth now is just the beginning of sorrows, but soon those left behind will have to endure famine, natural disasters and global war. No need to be in fear while God is in control, and God is still in control

Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
The last three are coming to the earth for these things must come to pass.. of course what we see on earth now is just the beginning of sorrows, but soon those left behind will have to endure famine, natural disasters and global war. No need to be in fear while God is in control, and God is still in control
Fear of being left behind?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:00 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
There is a fear

Matthew 7

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Have to admit it. Judgment will be pretty scary as well when the secrets of the heart are manifest. I can't lie.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:11 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
There is a fear

Matthew 7

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Have to admit it. Judgment will be pretty scary as well when the secrets of the heart are manifest. I can't lie.
Fear of the Lord?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:17 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:

1. Losing my faith
2. Losing a child
3. Losing a friend
5. Being Burned Alive
7. Plane Crash
8. Famine
9 Natural Disasters
10. War
HS, I love to allow the Holy Spirit room to rise up when directly identifying things that are my enemy. If I may:

1) Your faith isn't yours to lose - we live by the faith of the Son of God (Gal 2:20) and what He's started in you, He is faithful (understatement of the century) to complete it.

2) He loves those in our lives much, much more than we do

3) If He is a friend that sticks closer than a brother, what could we actually be losing?

4) By following the example of those who've gone before, keeping our eyes on Jesus we find a greater glory is given when sacrifice is required.

5) Not likely to happen, but I understand

6) See #5 - when studying predatory activity in the wild, I realize that wild animals will chase and attack humans when we act like their prey (when we run away) but are baffled when we act like nothing they're familiar with - only humans will poke a croc in the eye, or punch a shark in the nose, etc. Remember, Adam was given dominion of the beasts of the field and so are we.

7) You can't control what a plane does, but you can control how you travel.

8) We are not disciplined as a people, I admit - and when I consider what people in other parts of the world endure, I feel quite convicted. May God help us see that our flesh doesn't need what it wants, and that man doesn't live on bread alone.

9) Remember that the images of Revelation are the revealing of Jesus Christ - as He is spirit, so are the references to us. What happens in the natural will be nothing to the upheaval that occurs to the world's systems within us.

10) We're constantly at war, and if we can get conditioned to be on the attack for the Kingdom, it's game on!!

Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
I don't feel a lot of fear. I think it's kind of odd, but it's true. I just have this belief that fear is a bit of a waste of time. This isn't to say that I am completely fearless or reckless. I am not.
Maybe part of the reason I don't have a lot of fear is because I am somewhat careful. the other part of the reason is because I know that fear cannot prevent things and in fact too much fear can cause even more problems.

That being said, there are a few things that I can put on the list.

1- Fear of excruciating pain. Fear of burning would fall under this one.
2- Fear of choking, suffocating or drowning. I supposed these could be split into 3, but they have a common theme, so you be the judge.

I know that I would be devastated if I were to ever lose a child, but I can't say that I fear it.
Again that falls under things we cannot control.

Also, my faith does help keep fear at bay for me. I just believe that things will work out however they are supposed to.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:28 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Fear of death and terminal illness is fairly common.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:56 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:

1. Losing my faith
2. Losing a child
3. Losing a friend
5. Being Burned Alive
7. Plane Crash
8. Famine
9 Natural Disasters
10. War
My number one concern is losing one of my children. I would never put that ahead of losing my faith. I am not worried about death or disasters.

Why would anyone worry about losing faith?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:16 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
I fear the beliefs of religions fundamentalists will infringe upon how I chose to live my life.

And I fear Lady Gaga because she is super scary to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity