Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,992,755 times

Advertisements

Just heard about Omarosa being ordained as a minister and got me thinking:

Reality TV's Omarosa Ordained as Christian Minister, Christian News

Quote:
Omarosa O. Manigault, former reality TV star from shows "The Celebrity Apprentice" and "The Surreal Life," has been ordained as a minister.

The reality television personality, known as simply "Omarosa," has dedicated her life to the Lord and will now be called, "Rev. Manigault," according to Thegrio.com.

"This is the day that the Lord has made, I truly rejoice and am glad it is! This was one of the most profound days of my life and my ministry," Omarosa said of her ordination. "How amazing I feel to serve God."
Omarosa said that she has made a very personal decision to dedicate her life to the service of the kingdom of God.

"Sunday was a very special day for me in terms of my ministry and spiritual growth," Omarosa told BlackVoices.com. "God is in control and I'm moving in divine direction!"

She says that she plans to continue her studies and also to discover God's plan for her life.
I'm sorry there is something seriously wrong with this picture. First she was doing a reality show, during the time she was in school, that had her kissing on half-naked men, and this is all while dating Michael Clarke Duncan, who she then became pregnant by. We are talking about all of this within a 2-3 year time frame. To me it seems as though she isn't getting good spiritual counseling and perhaps being told that this is the right thing to do, but maybe it's just not her time to lead anyone.

Is it possible for someone to be so far away from God (just by looking at the fruit of that individual) and still being able to lead a ministry? I feel as if this is what is wrong with the church today. We have leaders who are too busy making others feel good and they are leading down a road to hell. I mean this entire time that this was going on she had ministers all around her encouraging this behavior and you mean to tell me none of them that her becoming a minister was a bad idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 07:49 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Protestant sects can do anything they want because they operate under NO authority. They play everything by ear and anything goes. There is no tradition to follow and they answer to no one.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Protestant sects can do anything they want because they operate under NO authority. They play everything by ear and anything goes. There is no tradition to follow and they answer to no one.
Well I thought we all answer to God, but I guess maybe I'm wrong about that. If you are following God's word, then you don't need some mass hierarchy to do the right thing. That's what the Bible is for. It's good to have accountability but it doesn't have to be in the form of "authority". There is only one authority that we should be following.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,556 times
If I wasn't Catholic, I could take a short on-line christian minister course (unaccredited or accredited by some entity we've never heard of) then be able to open up my own church either on-line or in a store-front. Seriously, I get spam all the time telling me all I need to do is take this certain short on-line course to become an ordained minister!!

Or I could just bypass the course and just open up a church. As Julian pointed out, with no real authority (except the Bible, of course ), I could do anything I want!! After-all, it's God that calls me and the Bible that I get my authority from, not from any man, right?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
If I wasn't Catholic, I could take a short on-line christian minister course (unaccredited or accredited by some entity we've never heard of) then be able to open up my own church either on-line or in a store-front. Seriously, I get spam all the time telling me all I need to do is take this certain short on-line course to become an ordained minister!!

Or I could just bypass the course and just open up a church. As Julian pointed out, with no real authority (except the Bible, of course ), I could do anything I want!! After-all, it's God that calls me and the Bible that I get my authority from, not from any man, right?

Actually one of the reasons some Protestants convert to Catholicism is the lack of central authority and direction regarding worship. In some Mega churches the atmosphere is similar to a rock concert with loud music and a worship method that has no consistency or purpose-------------basically charismatic preaching and singing rock music.

You also have the fly by night Christian counselors and healers that answer to no one, but the Bible.

Those Protestants that search a solemn mass based on rich tradition sometimes gravitate to the Catholic Church with its well established authority and hierarchy.

When you visit an Catholic Church you know you are in church. Visiting the Vatican or the old European Shrines is more meaningful when you are Catholic. The RCC provides a sense of permanency and history that some of the 33,000 Protestant Churches cannot replicate.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Well I thought we all answer to God, but I guess maybe I'm wrong about that. If you are following God's word, then you don't need some mass hierarchy to do the right thing. That's what the Bible is for. It's good to have accountability but it doesn't have to be in the form of "authority". There is only one authority that we should be following.
This is not supported by Scripture. The Apostles and the Bishops/elders spoke of in the NT certainly did have authority. And there were certain qualifications for people to meet to be Bishops, which meant someone had to confirm the "applicants" met those qualifiactions, i.e. an "authority."

Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
This is not supported by Scripture. The Apostles and the Bishops/elders spoke of in the NT certainly did have authority. And there were certain qualifications for people to meet to be Bishops, which meant someone had to confirm the "applicants" met those qualifiactions, i.e. an "authority."
In addition, they relied heavily of apostolic succession to preserve the oral tradition. There were no printed New testaments for everybody to share.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
That is where we differ. Does that scripture mean that you literally have to have apostles and bishops in order to have 'structure'? I do agree that people should have certain qualifications, but I don't see how the application of that scripture makes sense from what you're saying. Does the scripture says that you literally have to check with person A, B, and C to be qualified or does it say you have to be qualified? And what scripture are you referring to?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
That is where we differ. Does that scripture mean that you literally have to have apostles and bishops in order to have 'structure'? I do agree that people should have certain qualifications, but I don't see how the application of that scripture makes sense from what you're saying. Does the scripture says that you literally have to check with person A, B, and C to be qualified or does it say you have to be qualified? And what scripture are you referring to?
You need to read the early church fathers. The people that followed the original 12 apostles.

Here is a letter by Saint Inganatius of Antioch published in 110 AD. Please note that Iganatius was a disciple of Saint Paul.
The Epistle of Ignatius to the Smyrnaeans:

Read Chapter 8 regarding Church hierarchy:

Look at the bold parts:

Quote:

Chapter 8. Let nothing be done without the bishop

See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize or to celebrate a love-feast; but whatsoever he shall approve of, that is also pleasing to God, so that everything that is done may be secure and valid.
Chapter 9. Honour the bishop

Moreover, it is in accordance with reason that we should return to soberness [of conduct], and, while yet we have opportunity, exercise repentance towards God. It is well to reverence both God and the bishop. He who honours the bishop has been honoured by God; he who does anything without the knowledge of the bishop, does [in reality] serve the devil. Let all things, then, abound to you through grace, for you are worthy. You have refreshed me in all things, and Jesus Christ [shall refresh] you. You have loved me when absent as well as when present. May God recompense you, for whose sake, while you endure all things, you shall attain unto Him.

It is quite clear that as early as 110 AD there was a church hierarchy. Also note how he calls the early church Catholic. Also note that it was in Antioch that Christ followers were first called Christians:

Quote:

Acts 11:26
and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. And for an entire year they met with the church and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You need to read the early church fathers. The people that followed the original 12 apostles.

Here is a letter by Saint Inganatius of Antioch published in 110 AD. Please note that Iganatius was a disciple of Saint Paul.
The Epistle of Ignatius to the Smyrnaeans:

Read Chapter 8 regarding Church hierarchy:

Look at the bold parts:

It is quite clear that as early as 110 AD there was a church hierarchy. Also note how he calls the early church Catholic. Also note that it was in Antioch that Christ followers were first called Christians:
In addition:

New American Standard Bible, Acts 15-26, from Acts 1 NASB - Introduction - The first account I - Bible Gateway
Quote:
15 [q]At this time Peter stood up in the midst of the brethren (a gathering of about one hundred and twenty [r]persons was there together), and said, 16 “Brethren, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit foretold by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus. 17 For he was counted among us and received his share in this ministry.” 18 (Now this man acquired a field with the price of his wickedness, and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his intestines gushed out. 19 And it became known to all who were living in Jerusalem; so that in their own language that field was called Hakeldama, that is, Field of Blood.) 20 “For it is written in the book of Psalms,

‘LET HIS HOMESTEAD BE MADE DESOLATE,
AND LET NO ONE DWELL IN IT’;
and,
‘LET ANOTHER MAN TAKE HIS [s]OFFICE.’

21 Therefore it is necessary that of the men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out [t]among us— 22 beginning [u]with the baptism of John until the day that He was taken up from us—one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection.” 23 So they put forward two men, Joseph called Barsabbas (who was also called Justus), and Matthias. 24 And they prayed and said, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two You have chosen 25 to [v]occupy this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.” 26 And they [w]drew lots for them, and the lot fell [x]to Matthias; and he was [y]added to the eleven apostles.
Matthias could not just proclaim himself an Apostle. The other Apostles had to elect him. The successors to the Apostles, the Bishops today, do this very same thing when they elect a pope, the successor to Peter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity