Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times

Advertisements

jambo101, you have a lot of misunderstanding in your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There is a Hebrew 'idiom of permission'. God gives Man permission to blame God for things that God did not do.

In giving Man free will, man must be allowed to exercise his free will, or else it is not free will. If man chooses to do evil, man must be allowed to choose evil.

At times, man will do evil, and the results of that evil will come back onto man, and man will cry "why is God doing this to me?"

That is the Idiom of permission.

Between simple random happenings and occasions when man actually does evil, there will always be bad things occurring. It is not accounted unto us as sin if we blame God in our ignorance. Even though God did not do the evil thing, God is full of Grace and Mercy, and willing to over-look the process of when we blame Deity.

We have freewill and God will not intervene to stop us from using our freewill.

With freewill comes consequences, ...

that possition might be credible if every man began in the same place , a fifteen year old living beverly hills has a lot less reason to commit evil in order to get by than a fifteen year old growing up on the congo where two million people have been killed in war in the past fifteen years

there are many usefull life lessons which stem from religous texts , the problem as a whole is that they are so simplistic and lacking in nuance when stacked up against the complexity of man and the world in general

Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 AM

[quote[/quote]Moderator cut: orphaned quote

The important thing to take away from all this is that God does not bring evil on anyone just for nothing. It is so good will come out of it.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-11-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 06-11-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
[quote
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

The important thing to take away from all this is that God does not bring evil on anyone just for nothing. It is so good will come out of it.[/quote]

do you have any idea how unbelievabley crass and callous that sounds

your effectivley saying that everyone who is victim of rape , child abuse , disease is in a priveledged possition due to the fact that good will follow their ordeal , i suppose those who flounder after such an experience are weak and lacking faith in god,s grand plan for them

disgusting

Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 PM

555 posts, read 1,184,025 times
And I am still yet to hear or see a good reason to the original question

Old 06-11-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

The important thing to take away from all this is that God does not bring evil on anyone just for nothing. It is so good will come out of it.

your effectivley saying that everyone who is victim of rape , child abuse , disease is in a priveledged possition due to the fact that good will follow their ordeal , i suppose those who flounder after such an experience are weak and lacking faith in god,s grand plan for them

disgusting[/quote]

There is no other *good* way to explain it.

If God is everywhere and all powerful and all knowing and if "God doeth His will in the army of the heavens and those dwelling on the earth and none can stay His hand or say to Him, What doest Thou?" AND we know God is GOOD, LOVING and COMPASSIONATE, then we must realize that all that happens to us is for GOOD in the end.

Otherwise, the rape victim will have to point their finger at God and exclaim, YOU DON'T CARE!

It is not that God always has to twist the wicked person's arm to make them rape. He can withdraw all means of restraint so the wicked will do what they do. The wicked don't get off scott free either.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

disgusting
There is no other *good* way to explain it.

If God is everywhere and all powerful and all knowing and if "God doeth His will in the army of the heavens and those dwelling on the earth and none can stay His hand or say to Him, What doest Thou?" AND we know God is GOOD, LOVING and COMPASSIONATE, then we must realize that all that happens to us is for GOOD in the end.

Otherwise, the rape victim will have to point their finger at God and exclaim, YOU DON'T CARE!

It is not that God always has to twist the wicked person's arm to make them rape. He can withdraw all means of restraint so the wicked will do what they do. The wicked don't get off scott free either.[/quote]

your shifting the goalposts to the wicked , im talking about the victim who it was claimed , is fortunate to encounter such an ordeal as the long term results are so great

Old 06-11-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Eusebius wrote: There is no other *good* way to explain it.

It is not that God always has to twist the wicked person's arm to make them rape. He can withdraw all means of restraint so the wicked will do what they do. The wicked don't get off scott free either.

Quote:
Irish Bob replied:
your shifting the goalposts to the wicked , im talking about the victim who it was claimed , is fortunate to encounter such an ordeal as the long term results are so great
I wasn't shifting the goal posts. I was putting the full responsibility on God for what happens in His creation.

"Has evil overtaken a city, and God not done it?"

God is all powerful and omnipresent. If a person is raped due to God causing it then God is responsible. If a person is raped and God stood by and just allowed it to occur then God is responsible.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
It's funny isn't it - on one hand they are deontologists and on the other they are consequentialists. I am sure they are whatever-it-takeists.
Well, there is the relative and absolute, you know. It is not about "whatever it takes."

God makes all the vessels: vessels of honor and vessels of dishonor. They don't make themselves. See Romans 9.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:28 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
This is a tired old question. People like to parrot the classic phrase, why does God allow bad things to happen to good people- Or what a horrible God - He let that poor innocent child die of cancer or get crushed by a bus..

Everything that happens is a result of what man does or what man neglects to do. The previous writers here have mentioned the idea of when do you allow your children their own lives?

We love our children..and we worry...even when they are adults we are concerned about accidents- disease and general pre-mature death of our offspring. It gets to a point where it is sink or swim. I tried to guard my son from getting a broken heart...he got one anyway- I tried to discourage him from smoking pot- he smoked anyway- The kid bought a motor cycle- I worried that he would get brain damage- lose a leg...or be killed- THEN finally I had to let go- If he dies - so be it (amen).

It gets down to faith in my son- Did I raise him well? YES...Is he skilled enough to survive a full life span? YES- I must have faith in my own son. I believe that God has faith in us...I remember when my son got drunk for the first time- it was horrible- but he learned...now I suggest - Hey go across the street and get us a drink..."Not today Dad" - he learned- he matured and we as the human race must learn- It's called the adventure and journey of life- It is what we are here for...God stands back and grants total unbridled freedom- The same freedom I grant my son- because to control him is NOT to love him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity