Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:58 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
NOWHERE in the Bible does it say or even imply that heaven is the "complete opposite" of hell. This is a man-made "opinion", not a scripture.
Good morning thrillobyte... I respectfully disagree with you that the Bible does not , "even imply that heaven is the "complete opposite" of hell."...and would you please let me know where it is you found this statement?...thanks . Was it in the link I provided to you?

I went back through the entire thread, "Eternal Torment or Annihilation", to see who made this statement, but I can not locate it anywhere.

...anyway...

So...I went to the Good Book to see if I could find something(s) God may have said on the subject...and decided to make a new thread on the subject.

Heaven and hell are the two opposite states in the spiritual realm...they are diametrically opposite to one another...they have their origin in the heart of man and it is in this world that their foundations are laid...and after death he enters into that state which, in this life, his desires or passions have prepared him for.

When Jesus gave His life upon the cross for the sons of men that He might save sinners from hell and lead them into heaven, two thieves, one on each side of Him, met death at the same time. Although to all appearance all three suffered a like fate, from a spiritual point of view there was a vast difference. One of them shut up his heart against Jesus and met his death unrepentant, but the other opened his heart to Him in true repentance, and in communion with Him, found life, and that very day entered Paradise with Him(Luke 23:39-43). This Paradise exists not only beyond the grave, but begins in the hearts of men now, though it is hidden from the eyes of the world (Luke 17:21).

Jesus, now our Righteous Judge, will separate the good from the wicked; He will welcome the good to Heaven and condemn the wicked to Hell. The sins committed shall be made public before all present. Imagine your feelings while you are standing in that great multitude, waiting for the separation of the good from the bad. To which side will you be sent? Our Lord is coming, not with the mild countenance of a saviour, but with the severe look of a judge. As He draws nearer and nearer to you, you see some of your dear friends, whom you thought good enough upon earth, sent over to the side of the wicked; you see others that you deemed foolish sent with the good, and you become more anxious every instant about the uncertainty of your own fate. You see fathers and mothers sent to opposite sides, brothers and sisters, parents and children, separated forever. Oh, what a terrible moment of suspense! How you will wish you had been better and always lived a friend of God! The side you will be on depends upon what you do now, and you can be on the better side if you wish. Do, then, in your life, NOW! what you would wish to have done at that terrible moment. Learn to judge yourself frequently.

Hell is a state to which the wicked are condemned, and in which they are deprived of the sight of God for all eternity. There is nothing good in Hell, and it will last forever. Think of anything good you please and it cannot be found in Hell. Is light good? Yes. Then it is not in Hell. Is hope good? Yes. Then it is not in Hell.
Heaven is the state of everlasting life in which we see God face to face, are made like unto Him in glory, and enjoy eternal happiness. Everything that is good is there and forever, and we shall never tire of its joys. The bodies of the just will rise to heaven glorious and immortal.

Heaven is where God is and Christ is. And hell is where God is not and Christ is not.

Sin, shame, doubt, darkness and despair is hell. Love, hope, holiness and righteousness...and the love of Christ and the peace of God is heaven.

If you are not in heaven in this life, you will never be in heaven in the life to come. Each thing returns into its own element, into the ground of its life; the light into the light, and the darkness into the darkness.

Hell and Heaven, separation from God and union with Him.

Matthew 11:23 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted up to the skies? No, you will go down to the depths. If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day.

Isaiah 14:13 You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain.
Isaiah 14:15 But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit.

Ezekiel 31:14 Therefore no other trees by the waters are ever to tower proudly on high, lifting their tops above the thick foliage. No other trees so well-watered are ever to reach such a height; they are all destined for death, for the earth below, among mortal men, with those who go down to the pit.

Luke 10:15 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted up to the skies? No, you will go down to the depths.

Luke 16:23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

Psalm 139:8 If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there.

Isaiah 7:11 "Ask the LORD your God for a sign, whether in the deepest depths or the highest heights."

God Bless.

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 10-31-2010 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 09:28 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,372,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Good morning thrillobyte... I respectfully disagree with you that the Bible does not , "even imply that heaven is the "complete opposite" of hell."...and would you please let me know where it is you found ths statement?...thanks . Was it in the link I provided to you?

I went back through the entire thread, "Eternal Torment or Annihilation", to see who made this statement, but I can not locate it anywhere.

...anyway...

So...I went to the Good Book to see if I could find something(s) God may have said on the subject...and decided to make a new thread on the subject.

Heaven and hell are the two opposite states in the spiritual realm...they are diametrically opposite to one another...they have their origin in the heart of man and it is in this world that their foundations are laid...and after death he enters into that state which, in this life, his desires or passions have prepared him for.

When Jesus gave His life upon the cross for the sons of men that He might save sinners from hell and lead them into heaven, two thieves, one on each side of Him, met death at the same time. Although to all appearance all three suffered a like fate, from a spiritual point of view there was a vast difference. One of them shut up his heart against Jesus and met his death unrepentant, but the other opened his heart to Him in true repentance, and in communion with Him, found life, and that very day entered Paradise with Him(Luke 23:39-43). This Paradise exists not only beyond the grave, but begins in the hearts of men now, though it is hidden from the eyes of the world (Luke 17:21).

Jesus, now our Righteous Judge, will separate the good from the wicked; He will welcome the good to Heaven and condemn the wicked to Hell. The sins committed shall be made public before all present. Imagine your feelings while you are standing in that great multitude, waiting for the separation of the good from the bad. To which side will you be sent? Our Lord is coming, not with the mild countenance of a saviour, but with the severe look of a judge. As He draws nearer and nearer to you, you see some of your dear friends, whom you thought good enough upon earth, sent over to the side of the wicked; you see others that you deemed foolish sent with the good, and you become more anxious every instant about the uncertainty of your own fate. You see fathers and mothers sent to opposite sides, brothers and sisters, parents and children, separated forever. Oh, what a terrible moment of suspense! How you will wish you had been better and always lived a friend of God! The side you will be on depends upon what you do now, and you can be on the better side if you wish. Do, then, in your life, NOW! what you would wish to have done at that terrible moment. Learn to judge yourself frequently.

Hell is a state to which the wicked are condemned, and in which they are deprived of the sight of God for all eternity. There is nothing good in Hell, and it will last forever. Think of anything good you please and it cannot be found in Hell. Is light good? Yes. Then it is not in Hell. Is hope good? Yes. Then it is not in Hell.
Heaven is the state of everlasting life in which we see God face to face, are made like unto Him in glory, and enjoy eternal happiness. Everything that is good is there and forever, and we shall never tire of its joys. The bodies of the just will rise to heaven glorious and immortal.

Heaven is where God is and Christ is. And hell is where God is not and Christ is not.

Sin, shame, doubt, darkness and despair is hell. Love, hope, holiness and righteousness...and the love of Christ and the peace of God is heaven.

If you are not in heaven in this life, you will never be in heaven in the life to come. Each thing returns into its own element, into the ground of its life; the light into the light, and the darkness into the darkness.

Hell and Heaven, separation from God and union with Him.

Matthew 11:23 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted up to the skies? No, you will go down to the depths. If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day.

Isaiah 14:13 You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain.
Isaiah 14:15 But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit.

Ezekiel 31:14 Therefore no other trees by the waters are ever to tower proudly on high, lifting their tops above the thick foliage. No other trees so well-watered are ever to reach such a height; they are all destined for death, for the earth below, among mortal men, with those who go down to the pit.

Luke 10:15 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted up to the skies? No, you will go down to the depths.

Luke 16:23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

Psalm 139:8 If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there.

Isaiah 7:11 "Ask the LORD your God for a sign, whether in the deepest depths or the highest heights."

God Bless.

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.
Yes, Psalm 139 lets us know that we cannot get away from the Lord.

As per going up and going down, Romans 10 tells us this:
"6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above 7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;"

Christ is in our hearts, and He will accompany us all as we are baptized with fire. Some will lose little, others will lose much. But every man shall be saved, yet so as by fire.

Blessings!
Brian

Old 10-31-2010, 10:15 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,948,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Christ is in our hearts, and He will accompany us all as we are baptized with fire. Some will lose little, others will lose much. But every man shall be saved, yet so as by fire.
Not every man, but the born again only. The born again believer's works will be tried by fire; if they stand, then he/she will be rewarded. If they burn up, he/she will not receive a reward -- but will still be saved and go to heaven.

On the other hand, the wicked, the unbelievers, the abominable and all liars will go to hell.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:53 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Not every man, but the born again only. The born again believer's works will be tried by fire; if they stand, then he/she will be rewarded. If they burn up, he/she will not receive a reward -- but will still be saved and go to heaven.

On the other hand, the wicked, the unbelievers, the abominable and all liars will go to hell.
This is correct!

Old 10-31-2010, 12:07 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,113,952 times
Quote:
Don't forget the cowards.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:21 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:

What is the difference between the wicked and the unbeliever ?

And why does God try the believer with fire that somehow does not burn or harm us, and yet He is going to use a different form of fire to burn the unbeliever eternally ? You just couldn't make it up .

I am sending you into a fire which will burn you eternally because you did not believe in me , you cannot blame anyone but yourself , you had plenty of time to say i believe in you , but you refused , and the day you drew your last breadth i could no longer do anything for you , even though nothing is impossible to me , and i could even command the stones on the ground to praise me, i have given up on you , this way please

Old 10-31-2010, 12:43 PM

159 posts, read 175,035 times
Quote:
I hope you understand that it could also be believing wicked, liars, and cowards. Otherwise what would be the point of listing them that way? It could simply say unbelievers. Of course that would mean that believing in Jesus won't get us off the hook for behaving badly, and where would we be then?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
And why does God try the believer with fire that somehow does not burn or harm us, and yet He is going to use a different form of fire to burn the unbeliever eternally ? You just couldn't make it up .
Seeing symbolism of the fire for believers and not seeing it as symbolism for everyone else demonstrates an elitist attitude, and is consistent with the way traditional teaching changes the "rules" to fit its theology.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:49 PM

159 posts, read 175,035 times
Oh and glad to have you back, BHfT.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by python87 View Post
Oh and glad to have you back, BHfT.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity