Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 04:35 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times

Advertisements

Who will be attending services?

And, if so, will you leave the ashes on or wipe them off?

I've heard arguments on both sides, and both are legitimate in my opinion. I tend to wipe them off because I'm influenced by this verse in today's lectionary from Matthew 6:

16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

However, I also respect those who leave them on. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 06:45 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

And, if so, will you leave the ashes on or wipe them off?

I've heard arguments on both sides, and both are legitimate in my opinion. I tend to wipe them off because I'm influenced by this verse in today's lectionary from Matthew 6:

16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

I plan to go tonight. We have a 7 pm. I have not been to an Ash Wednesday service in a few years, but Sunday I went to the church service where they burned last year's palms afterward (outdoors, in a bbq grill in front of the church. Saw cars slowing down and looking, maybe they thought we were having an early Superbowl party lol).

I will be going home afterward, so not worried about what's on my head.

Back when I worked full time in lower Manhattan, I would attend the noontime Ash Wednesday service at Trinity Wall Street. The chour sang Allegri's Misere mei, Deus (Psalm 51) during the imposition of ashes, and it would give an otherworldly vibe to the experience.

I washed off the ashes when I got back to the office, otherwise, I felt as if I was trying to bring attention to myself. It was personal to me, not for display.

I still take the 14 minutes to listen to it every year, courtesy of YouTube.

https://youtu.be/36Y_ztEW1NE?si=1PCjxhiFWq9vPfT6

Old 02-14-2024, 07:05 AM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Well you're supposed to leave them on as a public display of your penance for your sins.
At least they dropped the sackcloth part.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:27 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
I won't be going until this evening, so I won't be out and about with the ashes on.

Whenever I do attend morning liturgies I leave the ashes on. It's definitely penitential for me because I don't like to stand out, but it definitely draws a lot of attention here in the Bible belt. People often stop me to tell me that I have something on my forehead.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:31 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I won't be going until this evening, so I won't be out and about with the ashes on.

Whenever I do attend morning liturgies I leave the ashes on. It's definitely penitential for me because I don't like to stand out, but it definitely draws a lot of attention here in the Bible belt. People often stop me to tell me that I have something on my forehead.
Your last sentences made me lol.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:38 AM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:

Wow...today sure is different than years past.

When I was growing up in NYC...people would ask you where your ashes were on Ash Wednesday.
I grew up in an Irish/Italian neighborhood and if you didn't get your ashes people stared and questioned you.

All the girls would pin their bangs back so the ashes would not rub off.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Your last sentences made me lol.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Wow...today sure is different than years past.

When I was growing up in NYC...people would ask you where your ashes were on Ash Wednesday.
I grew up in an Irish/Italian neighborhood and if you didn't get your ashes people stared and questioned you.

All the girls would pin their bangs back so the ashes would not rub off.
I don't think today is different from years past so much as small town Alabama ain't exactly New York City, lol.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:08 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:

I have two afternoon video conferences. I've already forewarned people that, depending on my mood, I might have a smudge on my face.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:36 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Yes.

Quote:

I agree with you 100% for the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity