Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Baptism, a religious act of purification by water that is associated with Christianity, is performed differently by different denominations, ranging from a light sprinkling to full body immersion.

The latter is commonly practiced by more conservative and independent churches, said Glenn Daman, director of Village Missions Center for Leadership Development, a resource for small and rural churches.

Some churches still perform baptisms in rivers, creeks - Nashville, Tennessee - Saturday, 10/13/07 - Tennessean.com
I think its good to do it like that. Mind, body and spirit is what it's about no matter what you believe. The act of going to the river is a good reminder of that. It helps remind/teach us many things. One is that we are part of nature not above it. To use it, like noah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 11:47 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Its true.. I saw one on the picture screen once..

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ha, love that movie. I remember the baptism scene and music.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:50 AM

I have a Jewish friend who converted. The first time, she became a Catholic prior to marrying her Italian husband, so she was just sprinkled on the head. When she got older and her husband was already dead, she joined a non-denominational church and was baptized in a local lake or pond here in NJ.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFirst View Post
So i was just having a thought and i was wondering do you have verses where it tell's us Christians that we have to be baptized in "flowing water" or "River or lakes"?
No, it doesn't say that anywhere in the Bible. It's just that John was baptizing in the river and so that's where Jesus was baptized. People who do immersion in natural settings do it because they want to do it the way Jesus did.

I was baptized as an infant in my first church, and my current church has a font and baptizes by putting water on the head, not total immersion. This past summer we baptized two adults, but they also just got water put on their heads by the priest. It's not the water that matters--but I think the outdoor immersion thing sounds nice.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:27 PM

908 posts, read 725,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Baptism, a religious act of purification by water that is associated with Christianity, is performed differently by different denominations, ranging from a light sprinkling to full body immersion.

The latter is commonly practiced by more conservative and independent churches, said Glenn Daman, director of Village Missions Center for Leadership Development, a resource for small and rural churches.

Some churches still perform baptisms in rivers, creeks - Nashville, Tennessee - Saturday, 10/13/07 - Tennessean.com
And people travel half way around the world to be baptized in the River Jordan.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:46 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFirst View Post
So i was just having a thought and i was wondering do you have verses where it tell's us Christians that we have to be baptized in "flowing water" or "River or lakes"?
That's just one of many concepts adapted from inserting specifics where the Bible offers none. Those that believe in it contend that one must be baptized in "living waters" which they define as naturally occurring waters. Rivers and streams are prefered.

IMHO, the water could be a swimming pool, a baptistry or a rainwater barrel. Baptism is a spiritual ordinance. The whole point of baptism is to make a covenant with God. I don't think the location of the water matters nearly as much as the spiritual experience and sincerity of the person being baptized. I suppose that baptistries are the most convenient and better designed for the sacrament of baptism than anywhere else. They're actually built for that specific purpose.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:21 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,052 times
I was baptized in a beautiful little fast running creek that was a favorite swimming hole for the local community. The church members were gathered along the sandbar singing hymns. It was a memorable experience for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity